PDA

View Full Version : UK Pilot killed in Spain

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th May 2010, 18:26
BBC News - Worcester pilot and son killed in Spanish air crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10194852.stm)

Great tragedy but they died doing what they loved.

My thoughts and prayers are with their family and those who knew them.

autothrottle
30th May 2010, 18:52
Very sad news indeed. Thoughts with family and friends at this awful time.

Phil Space
31st May 2010, 00:26
Two Britons killed in Spanish air display

By Rosa Silverman, PA Sunday, 30 May 2010

Two Britons have died in a light aircraft accident on the Spanish island of Menorca, the Foreign Office said today.

The men, believed to be father and son, were named by sources as Bruce and Ian Hook.

They are understood to have crashed to their deaths when doing an air demonstration at the island's San Luis aerodrome yesterday.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of the accident involving a light aircraft in Menorca.

"We can confirm two British nationals have died as a result of the crash and we are providing consular assistance."

Bruce Hook, 63, was an experienced pilot who had previously served in the RAF, a colleague said.

He lived in Worcester and for the past 32 years owned a village garage in Lapworth in the West Midlands, where Ian, 26, also worked.

Stephen Esslemont, 44, from Solihull, who rents the garage forecourt, described Bruce as a "kind, considerable and helpful person" and said he was shocked by his death.

"He was well known in the community and everyone liked him," he said. "What's happened is a shock to us all.

"We've sat and talked for many an hour about these kind of things happening to other people but you're really shocked when it happens to someone you know.

"After all the years he's done it you don't expect him to crash.

"He was a very competent pilot."

Bruce, a member of the AWA Flying Group in Coventry, was flying his own plane - a Beech Baron 55 in RAF colours - when the accident happened, he added.

The two men had left the UK on Friday to attend the event in Spain, which Bruce went to every year.

"Ian went to most races with Bruce," said Mr Esslemont. "Bruce looked forward to it every year. It was his hobby. He did it for enjoyment."

Bruce was due to return home to his wife, Brenda Hilvert, on Wednesday.

His son, who lived in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, was unmarried but had a girlfriend, Mr Esslemont said.

P.Pilcher
31st May 2010, 15:03
I first met Bruce on the day he appeared in our club wanting to learn to fly and our relationship soon turned from a professional to a personal one and I have been priveleged to be a friend of his ever since. He was a concientious, careful pilot who did not take the checks and precautions that I originally taught him lightly. He went "all the way" as a private pilot, eventually gaining his multi and instrument rating and I was regularly asked to accompany him on the odd trip to re-hone his skills when his IR renewal was due until my illness removed me from the aviation scene. Until this happened, he was proud to have his skills compared those of an ATPL holder in current airline practice - they were never lacking anyway but he stuck to the principles that I taught him in the first place - to learn from the pros and follow their example, particularly when safety was concerned. He had owned several aeroplanes before the Baron amongst them a Cessna 337 and a Chipmunk all of which had been cared for in the way one would expect of a man who was a skilled motor engineer by profession.
My thoughts and condolences also go out to his wife, family, other friends and his employees at the Willpower garage who I know well and have been with him for many years.

P.P.