View Full Version : JAA ATPL to FAA CPL Conversion

HryUpNWait
30th May 2010, 14:38
Hi! First of all I want to thank you in advance for even looking at the thread ad taking time to answer it. I am a brand new unemployed pilot, completed my training at AAE in Portugal. I am looking for a job pretty much anywhere and i was wondering what is necessary for me to convert my current FRZ JAA ATPL to an FAA CPL. I have 210h, of which about 50 is sim time and also have my IR/MEP ratings. Does anybody know what else I need in order to get an FAA CPL? I'm pretty sure I can get a PPL with some paperwork but what about the rest? Thanks again.

ab33t
30th May 2010, 16:32
You cannot convert you will need to do the whole CPL / ME / SE /IR you will get credit for JAA IR hours but you will find it difficult to get a CFI to sign you off without +- 20 hrs of instruction . After obatining your IR you then require 250 hrs to do the CPL, then do the CPL theory exam , the hardest part of the CPL is the oral before the check ride anything from 2 to 4 hrs depending hour sharp you are, if you only require the ME, check the FAR's for the requirements they are quite steep .

ab33t
30th May 2010, 16:34
Also I would not bother doing that unless you have loads of money or are assured of getting a job as you need to maintain the IR currency by flying and doing ME BIFR for the CPL

HryUpNWait
30th May 2010, 19:52
Alright, good to know. Thanks.

Tinstaafl
31st May 2010, 00:08
You have a JAA CPL, not ATPL, and an IR. It says so on the licence - and that's what the FAA read and will be told by the issuing authority. The FAA CPL requires 250 hrs total, with various sub-total and milage requirements.

Apart from meeting the TSA's insecurity hoops you will need to do the FAA's CPL theory exam (single exam, multi choice, done on computer & marked immediately), a CPL flight test, the IR exam (ditto details) & IR flight test. You may need an instructor sign-off for each of the two flight tests. Not sure. At ATPL level you don't when converting from a foreign professional licence to an FAA ATP.

If you want singe & multi privileges on your FAA licence then you'll have to do two flight tests at the desired licence level - one in a multi and one in a single. Be advised that there are manoeuvers done on the FAA CPL test that aren't part of the JAA CPL so you'll probably need some instructor led guidance through these.

As others have said: Unless you are eligible to work in a country that uses the FAA licence then it's not much use doing it.

HryUpNWait
31st May 2010, 20:19
well as far as tsa is concerned its not a big deal as i am an american citizen as well, what i was more concerned its building hrs... as the job market gets more and more competitive i was hoping to go to the states to try and build up my hours...

Tinstaafl
1st Jun 2010, 03:15
Well that rather changes things. Job opportunities for low timers are greater in the US than Europe. With a catch: There's also a lot of competition too. However, the US arguably has the largest GA industry in the world so opportunities are there if you're prepared to move for the work. The pay will probably be dismal.

With minimal experience ie less than 1200 hours incl. various breakdowns, you won't be able to do Part 135 (charter, on demand public transport or similar term) as PIC so that will limit things a bit. Still leaves all the other things. You could get an instructor rating(s). It's nearly always possible to find instructing work if you're persistent. There's also banner towing, pipeline inspection, meat bombing and the the like. Regional airlines are another option. Unlike what I wrote in the previous paragraph, the pay *will* be dismal. Oh, and corporate aviation is quite extensive here too, if not easy to get into.

Good luck.

HryUpNWait
1st Jun 2010, 13:14
Exactly what I was trying to get at... In Europe you can get away with 1000 hours... i think haha... but i was hoping i could possibly get an instructors rating or maybe get into the corporate or regional aspect of aviation is the states... if im not asking too much, could you please give me just a price on how much a cfi rating would cost given that i would have an FAA CPL and where i can check which regional airlines are hiring. I hail from the northeast but I would take a job anywhere, my willingness to work I am willing to say may be unparalleled as I have little money to work with, and will take hours with low pay. I refuse to get a self sponsored TR as the world commercial aviation continues to take advantage of wannabees with promises of job opportunities and the "freedom of flight".