PDA

View Full Version : Sole Means Navigation

onthesideline
29th May 2010, 10:11
Are the terms sole means navigation and primary means navigation still current or have they been superseeded by other terminology? Do any aviation authorites allow sole means navigation using an FMS with just a GPS and/or DME/DME sensor? My understanding is to meet the definition of sole means navigation and sensor input like INS or IRS is required.
Look forward to informed feedback

411A
29th May 2010, 16:24
In 1998, Iceland approved GPS as a sole means of navigation for north atlantic flying...and I did so many times with (Icelandic registered) L1011 aircraft fitted with dual Honeywell HT9100 GPS units.

So, in answer to your question, yes, GPS is (has been) approved...since 1998, by some regulatory authorities.

NB.
I fully expect some will say...nonsense, however, these I expect are the same folks with the 'not invented here' mentality.:rolleyes:

Pub User
29th May 2010, 18:09
Does the L1011 not have IRS?

411A
30th May 2010, 03:50
Does the L1011 not have IRS?
Some did, some did not...it depended on the original customer for the aircraft.
Many were fitted with triple INS, and many of these were later converted to GPS, as described earlier.
Some others were fitted with IRS and dual FMS, and these retained this arrangement for long range oceanic ops.