PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback CPL?

Golf--Lima--Papa
27th May 2010, 19:59
I've tried to search for the answer of my question but I had no joy.

I currently have a FAA PPL issued on the strength of my JAA PPL, the FAA one is only valid when accompanied with the JAA one, otherwise known as a 'piggyback PPL'

Now, when I upgrade my JAA PPL to a CPL what happens?

Do I have to apply for another piggyback this time being a CPL piggyback?

In reality I dont need a FAA CPL as the only flying I will be doing while in the states is leisure flying in a single engine a/c, but I'm under the impression when I get a JAA CPL my FAA PPL will then become invalid.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mark 1
27th May 2010, 21:12
I think you have a couple of choices.
If your PPL is still valid then you can carry on using the original 61.75 airman's certificate.
If it isn't, you will have to get a new 61.75 private issued on the basis of your CPL. To get CPL privileges, you will have to do exams and a checkride. This does mean getting the verification of your CPL sent to the FAA from the CAA. TSA clearance won't be required unless you want to do training (BFRs and hirer checkouts are OK without TSA).

There's nothing I'm aware of to stop you maintaining both PPL and CPL. I have a lifetime UK PPL and a JAA CPL.

BackPacker
27th May 2010, 21:25
I think what happens is that your JAA PPL will be replaced by your JAA CPL, but the license number will carry over. That would mean your FAA PPL is now based on your JAA CPL. In that case you don't have to do anything. In a Euro-reg aircraft you can exercise CPL privileges, in an N-reg you can exercise PPL privileges.

But if your license number somehow changes (at least the part of the JAA PPL/CPL license number that's listed on the FAA PPL) your house of cards comes crumbling down. That's the disadvantage of the whole piggyback thing.

An FAA CPL piggyback based on a JAA CPL piggyback is a completely different ballgame though, compared to PPL.

IO540
27th May 2010, 21:42
There is an FAA piggyback CPL but it is almost worthless. No paying passengers so OK for aircraft ferry and not a lot else.

mcgoo
27th May 2010, 21:51
Backpacker, once he gets a JAA CPL, his FAA certificate will become invalid and a new process will have to be started as the PPL licence numbers start PP and the JAA CPL start CP.

Golf--Lima--Papa
27th May 2010, 22:19
Its a strange one, I'd be delighted if my FAA PPL would still be valid and be based on my JAA CPL.

Worst case scenario I'd have to say goodbye to my US flying after I get my CPL or I'd have a get a regular FAA PPL to continue flying over there.

@Mark, I was under the impression that the PPL automatically becomes invalid when issued with a CPL, I didnt realise you could have both.

mcgoo
27th May 2010, 22:31
Have you been through the process again to get the English Proficient endorsement, if not wait until you get your JAA CPL, then do the process again.

You don't need to get a based on CPL, you can get a piggyback FAA PPL based on a JAA PPL, CPL, or ATPL.

Golf--Lima--Papa
27th May 2010, 22:45
Hey Mcgoo,

Thanks for the reply, So once I get the JAA CPL I just go through the exact same process again that I went through before. This time using the JAA CPL?

Hope so, thats straight forward enough. :ok:

mcgoo
27th May 2010, 22:50
Exactly, just apply for another piggyback FAA PPL, based now upon your JAA CPL number.

Golf--Lima--Papa
27th May 2010, 23:04
Superb, I didnt realise it was that simple.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

BackPacker
28th May 2010, 06:19
as the PPL licence numbers start PP and the JAA CPL start CP.

That's what I meant. Is that part of the license number actually listed on the FAA PPL, or is it just the numbers that are listed?

englishal
28th May 2010, 07:58
My PPL number is UK/PP/3*****K/A so the whole lot makes up the number.

There is an FAA piggyback CPL but it is almost worthless. No paying passengers so OK for aircraft ferry and not a lot else.
I believe it is only valid for "private privileges only".

S-Works
28th May 2010, 09:07
I was in the US a couple of months ago with a friend who was updating his 61.75 after he did a CPL and the number changed from PP to CP and that invalidated the 61.75. All so he could do a FAA CPL check ride.