PDA

View Full Version : A320 auto brakes

GearDoor
27th May 2010, 02:14
Does anyone other than me dislike LO mode? It would be perfect if the time to activation was 2 s like MED mode.

Cardinal
27th May 2010, 05:09
LO is not enough, MED is pretty harsh, and MAX blows fuse plugs... :(

loc22550
27th May 2010, 07:56
"LO is not enough".....it's more than enough sometime...!Each landing is different.
It all depends of what you need for landing...runway length,condition, exit, weight...
Manual braking might even be the best option in some occasion(light weight, long&dry runway, high speed taxi way...).
Lets remind that the purpose of the auto-brake is to reduce the NUMBER of brake APPLICATION to safe the Brake (carbon), sometime by just using idle reverse you barely need to use the brake to take a high speed taxi way(max 60kts).(autobrake useless in that case).:hmm:

Neupielot
29th May 2010, 10:13
It would be perfect if the time to activation was 2 s like MED mode

....whats the activation time for LO? i never looked into it. I always use LO unless its a mighty short rw.

learner001
29th May 2010, 11:33
A320:

MAX - 0 sec
MED - 2 sec
LOW - 4 sec

Kind regards, learner . . . ;)

Neupielot
30th May 2010, 10:19
Thank you :)

Neupielot
30th May 2010, 10:27
hmm hang on a min.... was looking into fcom and found this

fcom 1.32.30 description

Note :

Auto brake may be armed with the parking brake on.
MAX autobrake mode cannot be armed in flight

so the 0 sec is only for a reject right?

Metro man
30th May 2010, 11:00
Enhanced aircraft, electrical alternate system, Max Auto Brakes can't be armed in flight.

Basic aircraft, hydraulic alternate system they can.

Must depend on which aircraft you've got.

Doors to Automatic
30th May 2010, 13:00
I can understand that sometimes a lower brake application may be sufficient (and desirable) where runway length is not limiting but what is the logic in delaying application for 4 seconds on the Lo setting?

Surely 2 seconds on each would be better? In two seconds the aircraft travels 75m or so which is completely wasted.

Metro man
30th May 2010, 14:03
Gentler transition I suppose. Many airports the A320 operates to aren't limiting as they are designed for heavy wide bodies on hot days. No sense in pulling up too quickly and having a long taxi to the first turn off. The stopping performance is available on shorter strips if needed.

When are we going to see an A320NG with brake to vacate and other technology from the later aircraft ?