PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Applied Instruments?

ClintonBaptiste
25th May 2010, 19:22
Just a quick question regarding the removal of the applied instruments for an FI.

Searching through the forums, you get varying views on this. But I would like to know of people's experiences with the CAA.

To remove it I realise I need 200 hrs of IFR, but with this comes the unclear point regarding actual Instrument time. I cannot for the life of me recall which flights were under the hood, which in total IMC and which VFR. As you can x4 the amount of actual hours instrument - How can I be sure that I will not have a problem with my licence. The CAA response wasn't very clear at all.

I have around 70 hours instrument plus my 25 hours for the MCC. Technically if 44hrs have been under the hood then I have the 200 total - but how can I/they tell?

Many thanks

blagger
25th May 2010, 20:51
If you have an IR you must have the required time!

Whopity
26th May 2010, 07:38
It has always been a problem to determine unless you are an airline pilot, that's why the UK CAA adopted the use of recorded Instrument time and the 4 times factor.

The 200 hours IFR required in JAR-FCL can all have been conducted entirely in VMC if you were on an IFR flight plan. If you can't show 200 hours of such flight they will accept 50 hours recorded Instrument time, this should be recorded in your log book in accordance with Article 7979.—(1) Every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or renewal of a licence under this Order must keep a personal flying log book in which the following information must be recorded—
(3) The information recorded in accordance with paragraph (2) must include—

(d) information about any special conditions under which the flight was conducted, including night flying and instrument flying;
Also on a UK issued licence there will be a "limitation" saying "no applied Instrument Instruction". To remove this, which is the same as obtaining a JAA IRI qualification, then you only need 10 hours Instrument flight time to complete the course and be able to train for a UK IMC rating LASORS H1.4.Where pilots wish solely to instruct for the IMC Rating a reduced experience level of 10 hours flight time by sole reference to
instruments is applicable and;
d. Complete an approved course comprising at least 5 hours dual flight training on instruments in an aeroplane, flight simulator or FNPT 2 and 10 hours of theoretical training. All training to be conducted by FIC Instructor qualified to conduct instrument training at an approved FIC FTO. As blagger said if you have an IR, you can do the course. It will no doubt all change under EASA in 2012.

ClintonBaptiste
27th May 2010, 19:58
Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. I now have a checkride with an examiner next month. Can't wait for some nice IFR trips to San Sebastian, Asturias and Ibiza.

Happy Flying!

BillieBob
27th May 2010, 20:43
The MCC course does not count as instrument flight time for the issue of any licence or rating.