PDA

View Full Version : fresh start. pls advise

hgm
21st May 2010, 21:42
Hi all,
I intend to start my ppl by sep/oct this year, can someone pls advise me on which Canadian region has the best aviation weather around that period? i dont want to be grounded most of the time.
any advise will be highly apprecieted.

a330pilotcanada
22nd May 2010, 14:10
Good Morning HGM:

I would suggest either YWG, YXE, YQR, YYC or YEG.

But it has been a long time since I looked for VFR weather and best regards for your training.

Chris Oulton
28th May 2010, 19:26
I will second YWG. I taught at St Andrews Airport at Winnipeg Aviation, and the weather is great, close practice area, and the training cheap (10+ years ago mind you). The rent in YWG is also very affordable, as is car insurance. When you get to the multi IFR head to Perimeter and get it done fast, you might even land a job there.

Good luck.

troff
30th May 2010, 19:00
YOW. Period.

hgm
2nd Jun 2010, 19:32
Thank you all for your response. i ve been away for a while.
it seems like there are so many options to choose from but what about vancouver bc (proifr flight school)? how is the weather around sep/oct for ppl student? any advise is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Mostly Harmless
3rd Jun 2010, 15:24
Vancouver is a coastal city... with coastal weather... with mountains. Statistics: Vancouver Intīl, BC, Canada - The Weather Network (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=statistics&pagecontent=C02096)

hgm
3rd Jun 2010, 23:54
mostly harmless, it seems there is alot of rain fall around oct/nov and thats when most of my training is going to take place. does it affects me and is coastal weather good for flying? if not,can u suggest another province?
thanx

superdunkaroos
27th Jun 2010, 03:38
doing my training at boundary bay(vancouver) weather is terrible, no flying for weeks at a stretch and around november it gets even worse

Mostly Harmless
3rd Jul 2010, 23:15
The mountains of western Canada are dicey during the fall and summer, and certain areas can weather in for weeks at a time...

If you are going to fly in the fall (October/November) I would go anywhere in the Prairies. That's Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba. Sometimes cold, sometimes windy, but long stretches of clear skies and open airspace.

Check prices, and don't forget to add in the taxes... some provinces have Provincial Sales Tax on training, some don't.

hgm
4th Jul 2010, 20:08
wow! weeks without training at a stretch? thats really frustrating man, sorry to hear that. what do you guys think about havs air? is it a good option?
Thank you all for your responses

Mostly Harmless
7th Jul 2010, 16:21
If you mean Harv's Air, they have a good reputation but they are in the mountains. If you go there in the summer, you would get nice weather.

For winter flying... the whole valley is lake. kelowna - Google Maps (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=kelowna&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

italia458
7th Jul 2010, 16:47
hgm... I think i can help you!

If you mean Harv's Air, they have a good reputation but they are in the mountains. If you go there in the summer, you would get nice weather.

First off Harv's Air is not in the mountains! They have a base in Steinbach, MB (1 hour south of Winnipeg) and one at St. Andrews, MB, about 30 mins from Winnipeg. It is flatter than most dinner tables! The school has been around for a while and I'm currently here in Steinbach. I'd definitely recommend the school, from the past 3 weeks I've been here it's been quite good.

Also, this is probably one of the best places for weather. There is something like 300 days of flying weather year round.

Regarding Vancouver area. I was born and raised there. I did all my training there, mostly in Abbotsford. There is going to be quite a bit of rain during the time you want to fly. The Lower mainland doesn't have nearly as much flying weather as in MB. If you were to stay in BC, I'd recommend ProVFR (ProIFR). John Montgomery is excellent and has great instructors. They are a reputable school, two of my brothers trained there. I did most of my training at Coastal Pacific Aviation in one of the university programs. They have good instructors and the training is quite good. It is a bit expensive but I'd say it's worth it for the training and reputation, especially if you plan on being a commercial pilot. Skyquest Aviation in Langley is also good. I know a few instructors there and they run a good operation and I believe competitively priced. Those are the flight schools I'd recommend. If you want info on some other school in the lower mainland or around BC let me know.

The reason I moved to MB to go to Harv's was that they were a reputable school and I believe as a new commercial pilot/instructor there is more opportunity out here... everyone wants to be in BC or Ontario but if you're willing to put up with cold winters and some mosquitoes then MB is the place to go to advance quickly.

If you're only planning on doing a PPL then moving to a different province might be unnecessary.

hgm
8th Jul 2010, 11:53
Thank you all. italia458 i wish u all the best.
coming from africa my only problem is the cold winter there, but harv's air looks more like the place,only that their payment policy is not pay as you go. pls do you have an idea about training in toronto or the weather there? am also considering canadian flyers in toronto. your response will be highly appreciated.

italia458
8th Jul 2010, 18:32
I'm doing pay as you go at Harv's right now. It kind of runs on an account basis. So I will put $2000 on account and then when that runs out, I add more. So it's usually good to have money already saved up.

Sorry I don't have much information on schools out in Ontario. Toronto is right by the Great Lakes so that stirs up a fair amount of water I believe. You'd probably have a bit more rain, and I know a few years back they had some pretty crazy ice storms.

Mostly Harmless
8th Jul 2010, 19:58
My mistake... I had Air Hart on the mind.... not Harv's Air.

hgm
12th Jul 2010, 12:51
thanx alot italia458. looking forward to seeing you @ steinbach.

North Shore
19th Jul 2010, 21:40
So I will put $2000 on account and then when that runs out, I add more.

Don't put any more than that on account, and, IMHO, much less. IF Harv's goes out of business overnight, you'll have little recourse..

Chuck Ellsworth
19th Jul 2010, 23:30
NEVER NEVER put money on account with any flight school.

Pay at the end of each flight and that will prevent you losing money.

NEVER ever pay one dollar on account, if the school puts pressure on you or offers a deal say no.

If they persist tell them to go f... them self and find another school.

PaperTiger
20th Jul 2010, 01:32
Chuck is right. I'm still owed $200 from Pitt Meadows 40 year ago !

What's that worth now I wonder ? :O

italia458
21st Jul 2010, 19:22
NEVER NEVER put money on account with any flight school.

Pay at the end of each flight and that will prevent you losing money.

NEVER ever pay one dollar on account, if the school puts pressure on you or offers a deal say no.

If they persist tell them to go f... them self and find another school.

I think it would be good that you first access the school and have someone recommend it first. I wouldn't go to a school unless it was well established and had a good reputation. Putting money on account has been quite standard at all the schools I've been to, they've all been reputable schools. I'm sure in a smaller town with a school that isn't a professional establishment I'd be hesitant to put money on account as well. It all depends what school.

Trust me, Harv's Air won't be going out of service anytime soon!

There is also protection for customers. Being 40 yrs later, I'm sorry but you're not going to get anything! You should have done something about it before. All my payments are put on with VISA or cheque, something that can be traced. If I do have a problem and they won't pay, there is something called a chargeback that the bank will force a repayment back to you. Also, small claims court is quite simple and if you keep your receipts and invoices you'll get your money back! These are all worst case scenarios and I've never had this experience or heard about it from other people I've run into.

It pretty much comes down to using your discretion. If I didn't feel comfortable putting money on account at a school, I would not do any training there.

Chuck Ellsworth
21st Jul 2010, 22:09
I shop at Save On Foods here on Vancouver Island, Save on Foods is a well established chain of stores.

I select the products I want on any given day and pay for them less any savings they may have on any given day.

I would be stupid to put money on account there.

Why would a flying school be any different?

But hey everyone to their own desires, if giving a business your money in advance turns your crank by all means have at it and enjoy.

Actually now that I think about it I am probably just old school and way out of touch with the new way pilots prepare them self for their future in aviation.

Yeh, it makes sense when I think about it...pay in advance is a learning tool to prepare yourself for the pay for training and pay bonds and pay your dues crap that is the new way of aviation.

I am thankful I didn't have to learn that way.