PDA

View Full Version : Arran Fly-in

fisbangwollop
21st May 2010, 21:35
Hi folks, am on duty at Scottish Information tomorrow morning (Saturday).....I see it is the Arran fly-in, remember it last year when about 40 micro's pitched up.....just looked online and note 93 booked in tomorrow....better head off to bed early as I guess I may be busy........would be good to see comments and maybe video's of those that manage to make it. Have a great day, the forecast looks great...safe flying....hope to speak soon on 119.875mhz. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A taster here from last year....
YouTube - The Arran Fly in 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMC7KUURL2M)

fisbangwollop
22nd May 2010, 09:12
Halfway through my shift...a few on their way already, one Kitfox made precautionary landing at Kirkbride with rough running engine.....all sorted now airborne again and on his way, Prestwick weather CAVOK and plus 20......look forward to any reports later....enjoy.:cool::cool::cool:

Oldpilot55
22nd May 2010, 18:05
Its a nice wee strip on Arran but a bit short for anything but a microlight. I think my old Kitfox appears in last year's photos.

connel flyer
22nd May 2010, 19:07
OLDPILOT55

last year i flew a PA24 comanche retracable G-BWNI into the strip on Arran, not on the day of the flyin but on the Monday Landing towards the west no problems at all. I have a video of me departing i will need to put it on when i get a chance.:D

Hope you all have a great day

Happy landings :ok:

fisbangwollop
22nd May 2010, 20:24
Hope all went well today....I certainally got a hemmering on the FIR sector this morning....30 aircraft on frequency at one time.....nice sail this afternoon and a BBQ tonight has helped me recover!!:cool::cool::cool:

flybymike
22nd May 2010, 23:11
Haven't got any flight guides in front of me. How long is the strip? Does it appear in them?

Union Jack
22nd May 2010, 23:25
I certainally got a hemmering on the FIR sector this morning.

Didn't realise that you came from Kelvinsaide!:)

Jack

Them thar hills
23rd May 2010, 04:15
FlybyM
If you look on AFORS there are details in "Fly-Ins" incl lat / long
Not published anywhere else, approx 380 metres east/westish.
Sounds a grand weekend out.
tth

flybymike
23rd May 2010, 08:03
Many thanks for the reference.
(Sounds nice but 380 metres is a bit too testing for me ...!)

Oldpilot55
23rd May 2010, 11:11
I could get in but not out again unless I was really light, shame. Its a bit tricky in westerlies. I would have thought a field closer to Blackwaterfoot would be a bit better - less rocky stuff on the approaches.

10W
23rd May 2010, 13:40
I certainally got a hemmering on the FIR sector this morning.

Didn't realise that you came from Kelvinsaide

Maybe fisbang was talking about his piles ? ;)

Shame that someone seems to have infringed the TMA Class D on the way home via Carlisle though :( Hopefully the pilot was tracked down and lessons learned where appropriate.

xrayalpha
23rd May 2010, 17:10
Hi all,

The field in Arran is just a farmer's field who cuts a couple of strips in it once a year for the fly-in.

Rest of the year it is farmland.

If you missed a great weekend in Scotland this time, the weekend of 19th and 20th June is looking good.

Fly-In at Fife on the Sat, Fly-In and HangarFest (evening hangar dance with several live bands and an accoustic tent) at Strathaven on the 19th and Family Fun Day at Strathaven on the Sunday afternoon. Free camping.

See you all then,

fisbangwollop
23rd May 2010, 19:53
Shame that someone seems to have infringed the TMA Class D on the way home via Carlisle though

Another case of if they had bothered to talk to ATC they probably would not have infringed....cant understand why in general the microlite fraternity dont talk to ATC but just prattle away on their own frequency!!! Lets hope in the future we can persuade more of the flex wing boys to talk to the Flight Information service!!:cool::cool::cool: