PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue Pilot Threatens To Crash Plane

Airbubba
21st May 2010, 02:51
May 20, 2010 10:00 pm US Eastern

JetBlue Pilot Threatens To Crash Plane

BOSTON (WBZ) ―

A JetBlue pilot threatened to crash the plane he was set to fly out of Logan Airport Thursday afternoon, a source has told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

The pilot, who has not been identified, was taken into custody at Logan for allegedly sending an email to his girlfriend in which he said if they did not reconcile their relationship, he was going to crash the plane.

The officer was questioned by the FBI at the airport, and taken to a Boston hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

Authorities reportedly found the email on the pilot's phone.

A government officials familiar with the case says TSA agents and state police were called to "interview a pilot who indicated that he was unfit for duty. During the interview, the pilot voluntarily agreed to to depart the airport and seek appropriate care."

JetBlue released a statement at 8:35 p.m. saying that one of their pilots was removed for "health-related reasons."

Bryan Baldwin, manager of corporate communications for JetBlue, wrote in an email to WBZ-TV, "At no point were any customers or aircraft in danger. We are working closely with Boston authorities to ensure our crew member receives appropriate medical attention."

Baldwin said the company will not provide any additional details.

Airport officials confirmed the TSA and FAA are investigating.

JetBlue Pilot Threatens To Crash Plane Leaving From Boston If Girlfriend Doesn't Reconcile - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/pilot.crash.plane.2.1706861.html)

Farrell
21st May 2010, 05:33
The TSA / FAA / Government knee-jerk reaction to this will be great!

"Pilots Banned From Having Significant Others"

blueloo
21st May 2010, 05:58
Don't be silly Farrell.

Thats nowhere knee jerk enough.
This is much more in line with the relevant authorities thinking (or lack of):

"Pilots banned from flight decks"

lurkio
21st May 2010, 08:10
Now as well as giving up my toothpaste I suppose I will have to provide a copy of every e-mail I have sent since I last reported for duty. That or they will want remote access to my computer so I can be checked real time inbetween duties.

1a sound asleep
21st May 2010, 08:41
Mental Health is usually ignored

http://www.qantaspilot.com/ (http://www.qantaspilot.com/)

" Qantas pilot's mental nightmare ..

RAT 5
21st May 2010, 08:43
random substance abuse testing in crew rooms now to include e-mails. That, or a signed declaration that you are of sound mind and not about to fizz-off like an overloaded alcasellser.

jetopa
21st May 2010, 09:18
I agree with all the skepticism about about media hype and possible knee-jerk reactions of the legislators, but: does anyone remember the Egyptair crash of a B767 out of New York some years ago? This was most probably a suicide (actually combined with a murder) of a bitter and frustrated F/O, as the FBI discovered (if I remember correctly).

I do understand the nervousness of anybody involved in flying safety and security when somebody, who intends to put an end to his/her life, is being trusted to steer a transport category aircraft.

Everyone who wants to follow the Existentialists theory of their only remaining freedom, a suicide, should do so in private and without involving too many others.

green granite
21st May 2010, 10:10
Egyptair crash of a B767

Can't find a reference but wasn't there also one in North Africa ( Algeria, Morroco? ) a few years ago? Crashed into the mountains I think, after his girlfriend ditched him.

Ditchdigger
21st May 2010, 10:12
...in which he said if they did not reconcile their relationship, he was going to crash the plane.

I can't help but notice the similarity in poor communication procedure with AAL2 at Kennedy. If he didn't get what he wanted, then he would do (whatever).

What's the proper phraseology for unequivocally declaring your intention to crash your plane? (Either ICAO or FAA.)

:confused:

Avman
21st May 2010, 10:21
Might have been more difficult in the days when there were at least 3 crew members on the FD, not to mention one or two jump seat riders. Now days, if you're desperate enough, you have an even chance of succeeding.

White Knight
21st May 2010, 10:55
Also Air Botswana had their fleet of ATRs wiped out when a skipper with a grudge against management took one up single pilot and crashed it into the rest of the fleet on the apron at Gabs!! (Gabarone,FBSK)

Taildragger67
21st May 2010, 10:59
Also a SilkAir 737 in Indon; and the ubiquitous attempt by the off-duty, jump-seat paxing FedEx pilot.

Capt.Oveur
21st May 2010, 12:41
green granite, were you thinking of this one?
Moroccan Pilot Killed 44 People In Suicide Crash
(http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-906568.html)

Jumbo744
21st May 2010, 12:42
You are reffering to the Royal Air Maroc ATR-42 that crashed in the mountains between Casablanca and Agadir...

Poor guy, many people can say stupid things they don't mean in those situations. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with him, it was probably just a desperate way to get the attention of the girl...

md80fanatic
21st May 2010, 13:03
Unless the authorities read everyone's email all the time, its difficult to understand how this exchange could have been caught so quickly? Should the title instead read "Secret Global Spy Net Nabs Suicidal Pilot?

GarageYears
21st May 2010, 13:51
...it appears that the pilot's girlfriend, who is a flight attendant, was the person who tipped off authorities.

From reading the above you might be fooled into thinking that the "authorities" somehow discovered this threat from some kind of covert spy operation where all email is being tracked...

Nothing of the sort. Girlfriend (also an FA) reported him. Simple.

- GY :ok:

aterpster
21st May 2010, 14:01
Ditchdigger:
I can't help but notice the similarity in poor communication procedure with AAL2 at Kennedy. If he didn't get what he wanted, then he would do (whatever).

What's the proper phraseology for unequivocally declaring your intention to crash your plane? (Either ICAO or FAA.)

Can you refer me to that portion of the AA 2 tape that in any way suggests that the pilot made such an inference?

Your second sentence makes light of a most serious situation. I fail to see any humor in this pathetic Jet Blue incident.

protectthehornet
21st May 2010, 14:07
I appreciate the original posting as I had not heard of this news story. The comments following have been terrible.

mental illness in aviation, especially in airline flying is a real problem. I know of two pilot suicides (on the ground, not done in the air).

I even wrote a screenplay about mental illness in flying. (as yet unproduced)

I've seen alot in several decades of aviation. maybe jetblue is pushing their pilots a bit too hard.

Airbubba
21st May 2010, 14:42
A couple of updates with perhaps the inevitable spin control from the P.R. folks:

BOSTON -- A JetBlue pilot was taken to the hospital after he allegedly sent a text threatening to hurt himself on Thursday, according to sources close to 7NEWS.

The JetBlue pilot at Logan Airport was removed from duty and taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for an evaluation.

Sources said the man sent a suicidal text message to his girlfriend. When she saw the message, the girlfriend notified the authorities.

TSA then interviewed the pilot. Agents took his gun, but the pilot was not arrested.

Sources said the pilot was not on an airplane at the time, but was in a group room, where crew members meet prior to boarding flights.

WHDH-TV - JetBlue pilot taken to Mass General for evaluation (http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO142607/)

Some reports mention an e-mail, others a text message.

May 21, 2010 9:34 am US/Eastern

TSA: Pilot Wanted Suicide In 'Spectacular Fashion'

Officials Insist Pilot Only Thought Of Harming Himself; Removed From Flight Due To 'Illness'

BOSTON (CBS) ― A JetBlue pilot caused a scare when he allegedly threatened to crash his plane, which company and federal officials deny.

A JetBlue pilot was pulled from a flight at Logan Airport Thursday just an hour before takeoff after he allegedly threatened to kill himself "in spectacular fashion," authorities said Friday.

But Logan Airport's Federal Security Director George Naccara said a report that the unidentified pilot threatened to crash the plane is "misleading."

A source told WBZ Radio in Boston the pilot was taken into custody for allegedly sending an email to his girlfriend in which he said if they did not reconcile their relationship, he was going to crash the plane.

Naccara told WBZ Radio Friday the pilot did "exchange email with another person and we were alerted through various sources," but he denied the pilot threatened to crash his flight out of Logan.

"He never threatened crashing the aircraft. It was a situation in which he was threatening to take his own life and, in fact, his words were he may do it in 'some spectacular fashion' but not anything to do with the aircraft and no reference to crashing the aircraft or harming anyone else other than himself," he said.

Naccara said it appears that the pilot's girlfriend, who is a flight attendant, was the person who tipped off authorities.

The pilot was pulled from pilot's lounge an hour before the flight for what JetBlue called "heath-related reasons."

"Actions were taken immediately and the situation was diffused very effectively," Naccara said.

"Never was anyone in any kind of jeopardy. This was very much an isolated case, certainly not related to any type of terrorism."

The airline says media reports about the threat to crash the plane were "vicious rumor and speculation."

Bryan Baldwin, manager of corporate communications for JetBlue, wrote in an email to CBS station WBZ-TV, "At no point were any customers or aircraft in danger. We are working closely with Boston authorities to ensure our crew member receives appropriate medical attention."

"He's being evaluated at Mass. General Hospital," Naccara said.

"He is not in custody, he will not be flying, of course, and other actions will be taken by JetBlue and also by the FAA."

JetBlue, Federal Security Officials Deny Pilot Threatened To Crash Plane - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/national/pilot.crash.plane.2.1706940.html)

SaturnV
21st May 2010, 15:08
I note that the authorities took his gun; he presumably is one of the pilot who is allowed to carry a gun in the cockpit as protection against terrorists. :ugh:

Airbubba
21st May 2010, 15:10
I appreciate the original posting as I had not heard of this news story. The comments following have been terrible.

mental illness in aviation, especially in airline flying is a real problem.

I agree. It is the proverbial Catch 22 situation where you wouldn't be normal if at times the stress of the job and lifestyle, including mergers, pay cuts, divorce, jetlag, WX and BK, didn't get to you. However, if you seek help from a mental health professional in coping with your issues and the feds find out, you have the very real risk of being permanently grounded depending on the diagnosis.

I've also had a couple of pilot friends commit suicide over the years, I would guess that the rate is lower than the general population due to employment screening and drug testing but that's just a hunch.

Increasingly bizarre behaviour will at some point get you sent for a psych evaluation. A couple of the more sensational examples in years past were Captain WOW at Delta and Captain Barney at FedEx. In both of these cases there was a layer of union politics mixed in but neither pilot returned to the cockpit from what I remember.

STC-8
21st May 2010, 15:18
Mental Health is usually ignored

http://www.qantaspilot.com/ (http://www.qantaspilot.com/)

" Qantas pilot's mental nightmare ..In this case you'd think any 'danger' lay in the individual's own anxiety, stress & distraction due to their intrusive thoughts concerning shutting off the 747 engines during flight - not that people who might have such OCD-related thoughts actually would act upon them, for example sending the aircraft into a nosedive & crashing on purpose. For such an extreme act there really would have to be a lot more in the equation like very suicidal and / or psychotic elements to the individual's state of mind as opposed to 'just' intrusive thoughts.

OCD character traits, depending on how they'd manifest & the level of functioning of the individual, could actually have some quite obvious advantages in aviation & maintenance eg: attention to detail, vigilance, adhering to checklists & procedures, running operation-oriented mental checklists, etc.

Apparently research suggests some persons with OCD may actually enhance their own & other's safety due to a hightened sense of responsibility for other's safety and a high vigilance level. Are responsibility beliefs inflated in non-checkin... [J Anxiety Disord. 2007] - PubMed result (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16647241)

Many of what are viewed as 'conditions' or 'disorders' exist on a continuum of severity with a hugely variable range of individual traits - as well, there can be a distinction made between 'high functioning' and 'low functioning' individuals.

The current thinking concerning the majority of psychiatric conditions is that there is probably a significant genetic element, an environmental element (early years & external forces later in life acting as stressors, triggers etc ), an individual character element and a neurological element (brain structure, chemistry, functioning etc). If you think about it, many of what are viewed as 'disorders' in modern society may have had some evolutionary advantages in the context of individual & group survival in human history, otherwise these traits would have died out over time.

Anyway, the description in that Quantas pilot website about him anxiously seated at the controls in a 747 with a psychiatrist-recommended rubber band around his wrist which he's supposed to 'thwap' every time the disturbing intrusive thought enters his mind, sounds right out of a comedy 'Airplane' style skit - except that its allegedly true.

Avman
21st May 2010, 15:24
It's statistically only a matter of time before something really bad takes place with a stressed gun-carrying pilot. It only takes one. The possibility of terrorist action worries me a lot less!

STC-8
21st May 2010, 15:33
Airbubba: I agree. It is the proverbial Catch 22 situation where you wouldn't be normal if at times the stress of the job and lifestyle, including mergers, pay cuts, divorce, jetlag, WX and BK, didn't get to you. However, if you seek help from a mental health professional in coping with your issues and the feds find out, you have the very real risk of being permanently grounded depending on the diagnosis.Along those lines here's a report about a Ryanair pilot who flew a highly unstable approach just days after his infant son died - its not unreasonable to think his state of mind due to this personal tragedy may have been a factor in the incident & loss of focus. Apparently partly due to fears for his job security he didn't mention this to management or go on leave. Very sad on so many levels. According to the article :

Ryanair changed its operations manual following the incident to emphasise the flight safety implications of personal trauma, and the importance of notification to flight operations management.

Ryanair captain flew unstable approach days after son's death (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/11/327687/ryanair-captain-flew-unstable-approach-days-after-sons.html)

Ditchdigger
21st May 2010, 16:30
Ditchdigger:

Can you refer me to that portion of the AA 2 tape that in any way suggests that the pilot made such an inference?

Your second sentence makes light of a most serious situation. I fail to see any humor in this pathetic Jet Blue incident.

I think it's pretty well established (without me having to go back and listen), that the AA captain said words to the effect of 'If we don't get 31 then we're going to declare an emergency.' That if/then relationship is all I was equating to. (Or, on edit, more precisely the "if you don't/then" relationship...)

As to making light, my post was #13. Prior to that, only posts 1, 7, 9, and 12 lacked some degree of tongue-in-cheek flavor. If you're going to gig me for making light of the subject, I suggest you need to include a few others as well.

That having been said, I apologize if I have offended your sensibilities.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
21st May 2010, 22:23
If ever there was a warning about the insanity of letting pilots carry guns in the cockpit, this is it. Alas, this chap was clearly not playing with a full deck of cards - his flying career is well and truly 'over and out'. A tragic end, but it could have been a whole lot worse. Mercifully, the guy's girlfriend appears to have done the right thing and coughed up to the authorities, before a total catastrophe occurred. No doubt some lawyer will argue he is the victim of a smear campaign and was doing just great until someone trod on his hamster when he was a child etc, etc. Jet Blue will end up getting sued for unfair dismissal, defamation of character, loss of earnings, emotional trauma and so forth. Whatever the outcome, I trust they will stand firm and ensure that this guy's flying days are all behind him.

aterpster
21st May 2010, 23:45
M.S. Fletcher:
Whatever the outcome, I trust they will stand firm and ensure that this guy's flying days are all behind him.

If the evidence is sufficient the FAA will revoke his medical certificate. Then, he will have to prove that he is sane in order to get a new medical. If the feds don't want to accept his future proof of sanity, he is screwed.

Airbubba
22nd May 2010, 00:24
If the evidence is sufficient the FAA will revoke his medical certificate. Then, he will have to prove that he is sane in order to get a new medical. If the feds don't want to accept his future proof of sanity, he is screwed.

This guy may be on thin ice if what he put in writing constitutes indications of 'suicidal ideations'.

From the FAA Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners:

A history of suicidal attempts or suicidal gestures requires further evaluation. The ultimate decision of whether an applicant with such a history is eligible for medical certification rests with the FAA. The Examiner should take a supplemental history as indicated, assist in the gathering of medical records related to the incident(s), and, if the applicant agrees, assist in obtaining psychiatric and/or psychological examinations.

Guide for Aviation Medical ExaminersApplication Process for Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item18/p/)

However, in my observation, I've seen several folks go out medical, be diagnosed with a mental disorder, take anti-depressants and then get their medicals back just as the benefits for postpartum depression were about to run out. One of my female colleagues pointed out that it's a well known racket in some quarters at my company and others. Maybe males can now try it in these enlightened times, who knows?

Bus Junkie
22nd May 2010, 00:40
Looks like jetblue, nasa and the tsa will have to reassess their hiring practices. We have quite a few ffdos where I work, I don't trust any of them. It is all about being John Wayne to them. There is nothing more dangerous than a gun on an aircraft in the wrong hands.

vapilot2004
22nd May 2010, 02:10
I suppose it was the 'right' thing to do in this case. Homeland In-Security, et al with hot hair-trigger fingers at the ready for a Jim Dandy to the un-rescue.

So in the near future whenever a front office fellow sends a message to his girl such as "you make me crazy" or anything along those lines, we can expect this action to be a career ender, if said bird decides to share the information - malicious intent or not.

bonzai?

Auberon
22nd May 2010, 04:14
What do guns have to do with it? AFAIK the pilots of MSR990 and SLK185 didn't need guns for their murder/suicides.

HansFlyer
22nd May 2010, 04:53
Ant then there is the Air Botswana Captain who after some dispute over his medical took an ATR and offered some other Airline personnel to fly with and went into the airline office at Gaberone as well? Facts might be a bit diluted as I can't remember it getting a lot of media attention?

HF

Weapons_Hot
22nd May 2010, 05:00
The definitive Catch 22:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Makes perfect sense to me :uhoh:

Airbubba
22nd May 2010, 05:03
Ant then there is the Air Botswana Captain who after some dispute over his medical took an ATR and offered some other Airline personnel to fly with and went into the airline office at Gaberone as well? Facts might be a bit diluted as I can't remember it getting a lot of media attention?

Here's the news item, the perp was upset because he had been grounded for psych reasons:

BBC News | Africa | Suicide pilot destroys Air Botswana fleet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/471568.stm)

sharksandwich
22nd May 2010, 06:15
Chose sailplane rather than airliner:

Death dive of glider pilot 'was airliners suicide'
From the Echo, first published Thursday 20th Nov 2003.
A 48-year-old airline pilot who lived for flying died in a glider crash after he deliberately plunged into the ground in a suicidal 166 mph nosedive.
Earlier, Peter Palm, a first officer with the Air 2000 airline, had told a fellow glider pilot it would be the perfect way to die.
Mr Palm, who was also a former Royal Navy pilot, was happily married with a good career. Friends were left baffled after he deliberately crashed the fibreglass Pegasus glider.
His wife Lavinia, 41, a staff nurse at Dorset County Hospital, sobbed as an inquest at Honiton, Devon, heard how he must have pushed forward the control stick of the single seater glider to induce the fatal dive in which the aircraft plunged vertically into the ground from 900 feet.

Brenoch
22nd May 2010, 13:39
vapilot; I thought bonzai was a tiny tree however "bansai" means tiger or something to that effect and was the code word that initiated the attack on Pearl Harbour. It was also a salute to the Japanese Emperor at the time. (and possibly still is)

aterpster
22nd May 2010, 15:31
Airbubba:
However, in my observation, I've seen several folks go out medical, be diagnosed with a mental disorder, take anti-depressants and then get their medicals back just as the benefits for postpartum depression were about to run out. One of my female colleagues pointed out that it's a well known racket in some quarters at my company and others. Maybe males can now try it in these enlightened times, who knows?

"Mental disorder" is a very broad term without further definition. In this case, if it can be proven that he declared his intent to crash a Jet Blue aircraft in Part 121 operations, he is toast. If proven, this would be considered a threat to commit terror in air commerce. In that case, mental illness would likely be the only hope of avoiding a very long prison sentence.

That would not be your "garden varity" suicide threat.

Sepp
22nd May 2010, 16:05
Brenock

The code used to initiate the Pearl Harbour attack had nowt to do with wildlife; it was Niitakayama Nobore (literally "Climb the New High Mountain"), or if you prefer, "Climb Mt. Niitaka". "Tiger" (Tora) was the code word used by Commander Nagumoto to report that the raid had been a success.

Ditchdigger
22nd May 2010, 20:23
vapilot; I thought bonzai was a tiny tree however "bansai" means tiger or something to that effect and was the code word that initiated the attack on Pearl Harbour. It was also a salute to the Japanese Emperor at the time. (and possibly still is)

I'm sure you're all trying to put your finger on the word "Banzi".

Banzai | Define Banzai at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/banzai)

(Hopefully putting an end to the thread creep engendered by vapilot's response to my first reply here.)

vapilot2004
22nd May 2010, 21:03
I'm sure you're all trying to put your finger on the word "Banzi".

Banzai | Define Banzai at Dictionary.com

(Hopefully putting an end to the thread creep engendered by vapilot's response to my first reply here.)

thank you Master Norton

Spadhampton
22nd May 2010, 21:45
....she dumped him after she discovered what Jetblue pays.

aterpster
22nd May 2010, 22:27
IGh:
TWA 260 / 19Feb55 Martin 404 No 40416; pilot off course, hits mountain. CFIT, against Sandia Peak (departed ABQ), the Board did write the PC implying "intentional" deviation from route, and intentional selection of course and altitude by PIC (see SB's _The Search for Air Safety_, pg208, for documentation of the suicide rumors and affects on the family of Capt Spong). In other cases of rumored suicide, the AARs do _NOT_ include those widely held rumors.

Incomplete facts are often worse than no facts at all. A very close friend of mine was on the TWA Accident Investigation Team. Through his tireless efforts he convinced the CAB to change the probable cause from that you state to reasons unknown and possibly a malfunctioning fluxgate compass.

This wikipedia link provides a good summary:

TWA Flight 260 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_260)

TWA management became convinced that the back course was also suspect, so they had it removed from their operations manual.

It is very, very difficult to get the Board (CAB or superceding NTSB) to change its probable cause. The new or additional evidence has to be compelling, which it was in this case.

stator vane
23rd May 2010, 12:17
to prevent anything like this to happen again--

is to go back to nature's way of multiple mating--

why be so committed to one person (especially at the 'girlfriend' stage) to the point that their rejection causes 'you' to feel so depressed?

one should have several 'friends' of the opposite sex--

(yes, a bit of tongue in cheek-but some serious consideration as well)

aterpster
23rd May 2010, 12:22
stator vane:
to prevent anything like this to happen again--

is to go back to nature's way of multiple mating--

why be so committed to one person (especially at the 'girlfriend' stage) to the point that their rejection causes 'you' to feel so depressed?

one should have several 'friends' of the opposite sex--

(yes, a bit of tongue in cheek-but some serious consideration as well)

In terms of total human history until not too long ago arranged marriages seemed to eliminate a lot of the "mating ritual" issues. :rolleyes:

SaturnV
23rd May 2010, 14:05
I remembered the search for the four 500 pound bombs he had on the racks when he flew into the mountain, .....and Wiki to the rescue.

Craig D. Button - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._Button)

The Air Force looked extensively into his personal relationships, including one described as unrequited love.

Air Force examines personal relationships of pilot who killed himself (http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw1.html)

johns7022
23rd May 2010, 17:32
A friend of mine commented that an airline captain is responsible for more lives in his career then any surgeon could possibly be. Yes, we need pilots who are responsible, professional, and mentaly sound..

It's been my assertion that if you hire a pilot who has 2 decades of showing up to the airport, flying a plane safely, it says more about his performance then just whether he is a good stick.

He has shown that his personal life hasn't affected his performance.....that he has made it through various stages of experience and ability, a variety of equipment, a variety of weather...a variety of terrible problems, relationships, personal issues(life)...and he's still here...

protectthehornet
24th May 2010, 14:16
I just read that the ''girlfriend" was/is a flight attendant and she informed a Federal Air Marshal who called state police at Logan/Boston. (when she got the text saying the pilot would...)

DownIn3Green
25th May 2010, 00:11
PTH...We all read that days ago on this thread....

heli-cal
25th May 2010, 11:03
This guy should never be allowed to fly again. In any capacity!

silverstrata
26th May 2010, 12:31
Sound asleep:
Qantas pilot cover-up..."You should not have been allowed to fly from that time". (http://www.qantaspilot.com/)

" Qantas pilot's mental nightmare ..

The style of this Quantas pilot's website betrays a tortured mind.

It reminds me of Norbert Jacquet, the Air France 747 pilot who questioned the results of the A320 accident in Habsheim, Alsace (the A320 air display into the trees).

He went from Air France 747 pilot to prison, to a mental asylum, and finally to a street tramp inside 12 years. As I understand it, he is still spitting invective and bile against Air France and Airbus, while living in a gutter somewhere in Paris. :(

Un mensonge d'Etat (http://jacno.com/index.htm)

Quote:
In 2003, I underwent a new confinement for one month in the prison of Fresnes (order of confinement.). This finished to destroy my life. I am in the street and I am a tramp since the beginning of October 2003.

Of course, with such a tortured mind and such an ingrained persecution complex (however valid) it is difficult to know what is true and what is hallucinatory, but it is a sad story whatever the case. We hang onto our positions and lives with fingernails, which is why so many captains will agree to fly on minimum fuels and all the other unsafe demands of the low-cost brigade.

STC-8
26th May 2010, 21:02
The style of this Quantas pilot's website betrays a tortured mind.

Absolutely - a good rule of thumb is to ask oneself 'is this normal?'.

Definitely something's not right, the anxiety & strident, frantic element in the writing style seems unusual.

Very shocking about the AF pilot apparently living on the street - I wasn't aware of this outcome.

As his troubles seem to have begun only when he challenged the official version of the incident, and that he was proven to be vindicated in the claim about the switched FDR, it does indeed seem possible that he was the victim of a calculated campaign of persecution to destroy and discredit him.

p51guy
26th May 2010, 23:35
In my career as an airline pilot I have seen so many attempts by jilted pilot girlfriends, usually flight attendants, who did all kinds of things to try to get him fired. Alcoholism, drugs and instability led the list.

If her report on his text is all they have he will probably clear himself in due time. Drunk texting should not be used as evidence in court or most of us would be in trouble. She dumped him was the report but things get twisted when emotions run high.

Hopefully he isn't as represented so he can get his life back.

silverstrata
27th May 2010, 08:06
p51:
In my career as an airline pilot I have seen so many attempts by jilted pilot girlfriends, usually flight attendants, who did all kinds of things to try to get him fired. Alcoholism, drugs and instability led the list.

Got the 'T'-shirt for that one ! :ok: