PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland

CessnaCJM
20th May 2010, 10:11
Hi - does anyone know of a strip/airfield close to Sunderland suitable for a twin (need about 800 metres ideally)

I have to go there on business and the closest I can find is Teeside or Newcastle both moocho £££'s

Thanks

Oldpilot55
20th May 2010, 10:23
Last time I was at Sunderland (1968) there was a very nice grass airfield.
Fishburn would almost meet your spec..its uphill grass for landings (to the west). They are a friendly bunch.
Teeside should not be too expensive for you.

gasax
20th May 2010, 13:09
Try the parachute centre at Peterlee, hard runway and only about 7 or 8 miles to Sunderland.

VT10
20th May 2010, 18:25
Definitely Peterlee. Good grass & hard runways and fuel available.
10 - 15 minutes from Sunderland via the A19. Quick & easy.

tonker
20th May 2010, 18:37
Again Peterlee. About 15 minutes nearer than Fishburn (out my window) and a better suited runway.:ok:

CessnaCJM
21st May 2010, 09:58
Thanks everyone - spoke to Ian there yesterday seemed really helpful

Sir George Cayley
22nd May 2010, 16:35
There used to be an aerodrome at Sunderland. Usworth by name, now the site of the Nissan Car plant:mad:

One slightly humourous tale from one of the directors involved moving a number of senior Japanese managers from Sunderland to the Tech Centre at Cranfield. They hired a bus and drove. After a while one visitor remarked that he understood that Cranfield was in fact an airport and what a pity there wasn't one in Sunderland as they could have flown there:uhoh:

Sir George Cayley

letpmar
22nd May 2010, 17:36
Ian at Peterlee is a good friend and I'm sure he will help you but just watch the hard runway its only 500m if you need longer it will have to be the grass

Pete

kevmusic
22nd May 2010, 22:57
There used to be an aerodrome at Sunderland. Usworth by name, now the site of the Nissan Car planthttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif
Correct, Sir George, and thank you for highlighting the angst of Sunderland flyers. The Labour-led Town Council (as then) was hell-bent on burying this playground of the rich bourgeuoisie, so when Nissan came along and offered an opportunity, they took their arm off. As it turns out, they could have kept the runway, as the factory didn't impinge. With some planning the two sites could have been accomodated, to the benefit of everyone. :rolleyes:

RotaryWingB2
22nd May 2010, 23:01
but just watch the hard runway its only 500m if you need longer it will have to be the grass

There may be plans afoot to increase this....;)

VT10
23rd May 2010, 08:32
There's a long extension to the western end of the airfield that has been open for quite some time now. If you're landing on 30R (the grass) and need to use it, keep well across to starboard (by the windsock) as there's a slight ridge where the old fence was removed.
The windsock pretty well marks the old airfield boundary and where the fence used to be.
If your landing on 12 you'll not need to use it as the uphill slope assists in braking.
We tend to use the hard runways for take off and the grass for landing.
The grass surface is good and hard.

Unless you need fuel, it would be worth considering parking your aircraft in or near the run-up loop on the taxiway rather than taxying all the way to the hangars. There's a new hangar being erected and lots of loose stones around to make a mess of your props!