PDA

View Full Version : Maefin top fun

jxc
17th May 2010, 19:59
Does anyone know anything about these planes ?
is it group A or microlight
seen 1 for sale in Romania I assume they are permit aircraft

Humaround
17th May 2010, 21:18
Not an approved type under the UK LAA - see here

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/pdf/Engineering/Website%20Accepted%20Aircraft%20List.pdf

(paste as one line if necessary)

So no go over here unless someone wants to import one and spend ages and £££££'s putting it through the approval process...

jxc
18th May 2010, 08:16
Suppose it could be kept on the romanian register

EDMJ
18th May 2010, 11:09
If there's one thing I've learned from approx. 5 years of flying 3-axis microlights, then it is to use a lot of common aeronautical common sense and only stick to types with a very well proven track record. Just because someone issued a permit of some sort does by far not imply that it's safe, structurally and/or aerodynamically.

Note that the proper functioning of the ballistic rescue system does not have to be demonstrated in flight during a microlight type approval, and there has been too many cases of it not deploying properly when urgently required to do so.

I've flown the Remos G3/600, FK-9 Mk. III, Evektor Eurostar and Tecnam P-92. There are hundreds of each of these types flying, no particular vices having been demonstrated and I'd therefore happily fly any of these again. Yes, the Eurostar has a current wing spar AD, but is backed by a serious manufacturer who is ensuring that the entire fleet is not just grounded at the stroke of a pencil.

As for keeping such an aircraft on the Romanian register in the UK, I'd be very surprised if that is legal. A microlight is not certified to ICAO standards and can therefore not fly anywhere you want to without some sort of prior approval from the country in question. At least in Germany, a microlight based there also has to be put on the D-Mxxx register.

If it's the ad on planecheck.com you saw, then don't only be lured by the low price. There are other ways to kill yourself even more cheaply.