PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many "best route to XXX" posts?

IO540
17th May 2010, 12:58
Regularly, one gets a posting from somebody based at (think of a UK airfield) who wants to fly to (think of another UK airfield) and asks how to do this.

No question is a stupid question, but I would have thought that getting the map (oops I mean "chart") out and drawing a route on it, should be one of the first things that is taught in the PPL.

How can so apparently many people fall through the cracks?

If somebody wanted to fly to Tripoli, that is a bit different (charts, massive PPR issues, etc) but within the UK... ?

fuzzy6988
17th May 2010, 13:22
Could it be more to do with obtaining info on what interesting sights there are to see en-route, and a sharing of pilots' experiences?

BackPacker
17th May 2010, 13:26
It may be me, but I find the number of simple EGXX to EGXX questions rather low. The ones that I see are typically of the long, multiple-FIR VFR kind. And they typically show a reasonable understanding and preparation, but are seeking details on, e.g. chances of getting a crossing clearance, chances of a restricted area being hot, obscure regulations that nobody heard about etc. Or simply info on fuel prices, dining/lodging recommendations and so forth. Entirely justified IMHO.

Crash one
17th May 2010, 13:27
Prob trying to plan to avoid the heaviest flak & fighters!