PDA

View Full Version : Filing an IFR flight plan whilst airbourne

Callsign Kilo
16th May 2010, 10:44
I have a little confusion over a matter that myself and a colleague were discussing. The scenario developed as a result of the ash cloud disruption and I am hoping to seek clarification from an ATCO or someone with similar knowledge. I was originally aware that filing and closing flight plans whilst airborne is an accepted method however I am looking for some further insight/opinions in context with recent developments.

I am a line pilot for an operator with approval to fly above and below predicted ash NFZ's. Overall avoidance obviously remains priority with some tactical reroutings occurring. These are normally evident first hand from our OFPs (operational flight plans) developed via our Ops department.
However, it may not be beyond the realms of possibility to find yourself down route where the movement of the ash concentration may see a previously filed routing taking you through the new NFZ. ATC wish you to reroute and render the initially filed routing invalid. You are still on the ground at this stage and contact with your Ops department is problematic (unfortunately we don't utilise datalink/ACARS). We are unable to be refiled via OPS as a result. My question is, is it possible for ATC to give us an initial clearance to a certain point i.e. the end point of a specific SID and then for the crew to file a new route in air which would avoid the NFZ. Obviously extra fuel would be uplifted to cover contingency.

Thanks in advance.

DFC
16th May 2010, 11:35
Since (I hope) you are going to know your safe route prior to departure then why not cancel the current flight plan yourself and file a new one before you depart.

Having filed this new plan with it's safe routing then simply ask for clearance in the normal way.

Of course you would also have prepared a new (handwritten?) OFP and fuel calculations, weather, notams etc etc. performance etc to make the flight legal if it a commecrial operation!!!

Your have to watch other issues such as who is providing flight following (not the ATC type) / operational supervision of your flying - this is normally your ops department / dispatchers and departing off on a totally different route without at least telling them asap is generally not a good career move.

So basically my advice is not to rush into departing without a clear safe route to destination and at a minimum keeping those responsible for flight supervision informed if you can (Stockholm radio or similar?).

fisbangwollop
16th May 2010, 11:49
I quite often get calls from aircraft ( Scottish Information ) requesting to either file an airborne plan or open or close an already filed plan. Done as always with the usual smile :cool::cool::cool:

5milesbaby
16th May 2010, 22:02
There will no doubt be a flow expert along to clarify the details soon, but if you are thinking of getting airborne and then changing an IFR plan thats for use within controlled airspace, what would you do if the reroute came back with a 45+ minute slot delay? I'm sure if it became a popular method then some of the more typical abusers will find new ways around regulations and eventually a stop will be put to any airborne changes to combat the problem.

On a side, which frequencies would you intend to use for the changes? Doubt any busy sector would appreciate the call........

411A
17th May 2010, 03:28
Done all the time in the USA.
If however, delays can be expected at the destination, flow control will be implemented, using reduced speeds and/or altitudes.
Therefore, sufficient onboard fuel is a definite consideration.
Plan ahead accordingly.

fisbangwollop
17th May 2010, 06:54
On a side, which frequencies would you intend to use for the changes? Doubt any busy sector would appreciate the call........

Thats what the FIR sectors are for :cool::cool:

DFC
17th May 2010, 08:03
If my reading of the original post is correct, you have missed the question asked.

It appears that the question is;

If he is on the ground in Galsgow and the company has filed a flight plan to say Frankfurt via Dean Cross and airways to Dover etc etc etc but he discovers pre-flight that he can't fly that route due to ash nfz. He is unable to contact his ops department to get them to refile etc.

Rather than cancel the fpl on the ground and refile, he wants to (as I understand the question) still get airbourne on the DCS SID (or another SID) and then during flight cancel the active flight plan and re-file say via the North Sea routes to the original destination.

See above for my comments regarding the operational issues.

I can't see any logical reason why they can't refile on the ground. Can you?