PDA

View Full Version : Questions about foreign instruction

Lakz
15th May 2010, 19:59
Hi,

I have three questions about flight instruction.

I'm an European citizen (France) in the US under a M1 visa. I came here for my flight training. Now, people around are encouraging me for doing a CFI license. I'm not really exited about getting in studies and checkrides again. But let's consider that I become a CFI.

A friend of mine (European) wants to become a pilot :

- Can I teach him in America without charging the guy?
(Example : we rent or buy an airplane and fly for a month. According to my experience, I had to involve my flight school and go through the TSA process. That's why I am wondering if the guy could simply come here as a tourist, fly with me and get a license. If not, is there a way to work it out? Please, enlight me)

- Can I teach somewhere else in the world?
(Example : We fly in France or Japan or anywhere else. Do we not need a TSA approval? How about the checkrides?)

- Does the flight training have to be done in a November airplane?

Thanks a lot,
Regis.

malc4d
16th May 2010, 11:22
You can do what you like..................Just dont sign anylog book or make any logbook entries........oh and dont crash, just see who and what his/her family would sue. :}

As a FAA CFI you cannot teach anyone anywhere for a FAA ppl without first checking that they are a US citizen. If they are not, they will need TSA, and if in the US a visa. (but you should know this).

I'm sure others will give you more advice.

Whopity
17th May 2010, 07:14
In Europe you need a JAA (to become EASA) licence and FI rating to legally give flight instruction. Even if you had a FAA CFI rating, you could not use it to give instruction for a FAA licence without holding a European qualification as well. In France they may not even recognise FI ratings from other European countries without validating it; however after 2012 when EASA rules take over, they will have no choice.

DFC
17th May 2010, 08:56
In Europe you need a JAA (to become EASA) licence and FI rating to legally give flight instruction.

No you do not.

A PPL with no ther ratings can teach their 12 year old child how to fly for free and the result might even be a 12 year old that is a very good pilot.

What they can't do is send them solo and of course the hours will not count towards the award of a JAA licence.

An FAA CFI can (for free) teach someone for an FAA certificate or rating anywhere in Europe in an N registered aircraft. The problem arises if the course requires some solo flying for which they will need a JAA licence, RTF etc etc etc.

In the UK, if you (As an FAA CFI) are teaching the sole owner of the N reg aircraft then it is not aerial work as long as they only pay for your services as a pilot and you are not training them for any qualification contained in the UK ANO.

S-Works
17th May 2010, 11:04
An FAA CFI can (for free) teach someone for an FAA certificate or rating anywhere in Europe in an N registered aircraft. The problem arises if the course requires some solo flying for which they will need a JAA licence, RTF etc etc etc.

Why only for free? To be a CFI under FAA you need a CPL. Teaching in an N reg aircraft for a FAA certificate with appropriate DofT permission can be remunerated with a FAA CPL.

Whopity
17th May 2010, 13:47
A PPL with no other ratings can teach their 12 year old child how to fly for freePrecisely, so why would you bother with a CFI rating?

This guy has a genuine question as to what he can do if he spends his money getting a CFI qualification. Whats the point of giving him half baked answers?

DFC
17th May 2010, 15:22
In Europe you need a JAA (to become EASA) licence and FI rating to legally give flight instruction.

I was explaining very clearly that the above statement by you is incorrect and giving one of hundreds of practical examples how it is so.

Please read the rest of my post for the detail.

:D

Bose,

I am aware that one can apply to the DfT for permission to do what they call aerial work. However, after one gets past the fact that the DfT info is out of date, one should read very carefully what the local UK definition of aerial work is or more importantly for this case - what is not aerial work!! :D