PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating instruction in owner aircraft

XX621
13th May 2010, 11:50
Hi all,

Can someone clarify if IMC instruction for initial issue of UK IMC rating can be given in an owner aicraft (assuming required avionics)? Aircraft in question is privately owned and operating by a typical PPL group.

Thanks

DFC
13th May 2010, 12:39
If you are going to provide the airbourne instruction element of the course at no charge then there is absolutely no problem.

Is this the case?

What about the RTF through which the training is going to be provided? Don't forget to get the aircraft onto the registration and insurance details etc.

XX621
13th May 2010, 13:18
I'm not actually involved - it's another member of the group who has approached an IMC instructor who has told him he can do the course with him on the syndicate aircraft. I believe the instructor in question is affiliated with a club somewhere, and the normal training fees will apply.

The reason I wanted to verify the facts here is that when I approached an FTO about doing a CRI course recently I was told I could do it on my aircraft, but it would have to become "approved" - documents and fees to CAA etc etc.

DFC
13th May 2010, 15:44
The reason I wanted to verify the facts here is that when I approached an FTO about doing a CRI course recently I was told I could do it on my aircraft, but it would have to become "approved" - documents and fees to CAA etc etc.

When you are talking FTO and the courses they can provide then they are correct - approval and fees are involoved.

However, for RTF, there is no fee involved in registering or altering the registration. So setting up an RTF to do this or putting the aircraft onto an existing RTF registration is a pain-free cost free process provided that the insurance is appropriate etc.

If they are getting paid then the various UK rules regarding paid instruction would apply especially since it is not a sole owner.

XX621
13th May 2010, 16:08
Ok, thanks...
To verify I understand what you are saying then:

"A suitably qualified instructor could run an IMC course on a privately owned aircraft, as long as the aircraft becomes registered with the training facility the instructor is associated with, and the aircraft insurance covers for initial rating issue training"??

Whopity
13th May 2010, 16:37
There is no requirement for a Training Facility for IMC training, it is a National not a JAA rating; any qualified instructor can do it! He can do it on a group aircraft so long as it is maintained to Public Transport standards; if it is privately maintained, then he can't legally be paid as it would be aerial work. If you do it through the back door your insurance would be invalid!

This may be of interest to you: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_784.pdf