PDA

View Full Version : Tragic accident at Old Buck.

Flyingmac
10th May 2010, 12:11
Pilot killed in plane crash near Norfolk airfield - Norfolk News - EDP24 (http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED09%20May%202010%2021%3A48%3A46%3A837)

Lister Noble
10th May 2010, 12:37
What a terrible tragedy,and a truly horrible scene for the witness.

(There was a large fly-in at Henham Wings and Wheels yesteday,I was there but didn't look around all the aircraft,so don't know if this was one of them.)

Lister

Deeday
10th May 2010, 12:51
From the picture it's quite obviously a Mooney, rather than the "old aircraft" referred to by the witness.

Cows getting bigger
10th May 2010, 13:35
The M20 Mooney first went into production in 1955 and the aircraft concerned was first registered in 1961. Not old enough? :(

Lister Noble
10th May 2010, 14:50
I've just come back from doing something to the Cub,our airstrip is near Old Buck and I have heard some of the facts about the accident.

The aircraft is a Mooney and had not been at the Henham airshow, I feel we should wait for any further news in the public domain.
Lister

Rod1
10th May 2010, 14:54
Some interesting extra info;

FLYER Forums • View topic - A/c down near Old Buck (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63430)

Rod1

Ryan5252
10th May 2010, 18:14
We think the pilot obviously knew he wasn't going to get out because he threw out all his documents.

The things that go through people's minds is truly heart wrenching. Condolences to the family, a very sad story.

rsuggitt
11th May 2010, 16:37
This is an horrif accident, and while I dont want to seem pedantic, I think people are reading between the lines about the pilot supposedly throwing out the documents. All that was said in the original press report is that documents were found... unless I missed it, it didnt say where they were found.
Sorry, but you're in a plane crash, why would you throw out the documents ?

dont overfil
11th May 2010, 16:45
Maybe he threw the documents out because he thought he WOULD get out.
DO

Fly-by-Wife
11th May 2010, 17:04
rsuggitt,

Agreed this is a particularly horrible and tragic accident.

However, the witness statement as reported is reasonably unequivocal:

“He said he could see the pilot but couldn't get any where near him. We think the pilot obviously knew he wasn't going to get out because he threw out all his documents."

Since no-one will ever know what was going through the pilot's mind in those last few minutes, we must rely on the witness statement, and the fact the documents were indeed recovered.

FBW

execExpress
11th May 2010, 22:29
rsuggitt,

Agreed this is a particularly horrible and tragic accident.

However, the witness statement as reported is reasonably unequivocal:

Quote:
“He said he could see the pilot but couldn't get any where near him. We think the pilot obviously knew he wasn't going to get out because he threw out all his documents."
Since no-one will ever know what was going through the pilot's mind in those last few minutes, we must rely on the witness statement, and the fact the documents were indeed recovered.

FBW
===============
Eh? Didn't read that way to me.
1) This is not a witness statement. It is a statment by someone who spoke to the witness. It second hand reporting not a witness statement, "He (the witness) said he could see the pilot but couldn't get any where near him.
2) "We [who were not witness to this]We
think
the pilot obviously [?] knew he wasn't going to get out because he threw out all his documents."

Net: I believe that the actual witness stated he could see the pilot and could not get near him. Waiting on facts and actual witness statments, reports etc than appear to assert we must rely on this stuff out of the paper.

rsuggitt
12th May 2010, 10:47
The key question is, did anyone see the pilot throw documents out.

Cusco
12th May 2010, 13:37
One of the Eastern Daily papers, forget which, reported the shepherd who saw the accident, called the emergency services and approached the wreck but was driven back by the flames, also saw the pilot throwing the documents out of the window.

OK it's reported but short of the shepherd filing the article himself how much closer do you want?

The shepherd was pretty traumatised by the whole business according to his wife.

Vizsla
12th May 2010, 13:50
More than likely the docs were thrown out by the impact...especially if they had been put on top of the panel below the canopy.

Cusco
12th May 2010, 14:25
More than likely the docs were thrown out by the impact...especially if they had been put on top of the panel below the canopy.

Hand up anyone on here who puts loose documents on the coaming in flight?

Cusco

rsuggitt
12th May 2010, 14:59
"OK it's reported but short of the shepherd filing the article himself how much closer do you want?"

Thanks for confirming there was an eye witness.

It still strikes me as a strange thing to do. 'Save the paperwork' has never been on the drills for all the EFATOs and PFLs that I've done.

Sir Niall Dementia
12th May 2010, 15:24
rsuggitt;

Slightly off topic, but when I sat in front of the AAIB having got a very badly bent aircraft they were going through the paperwork and found that before landing I had filled in the "Cert nil A defects box" in the tech log. A very red neck for me, the co-pilot and the AAIB man couldn't stop laughing, There were millions of quids worth of A defects by the time the crash stopped:O