PDA

View Full Version : flying over lake district

liam548
8th May 2010, 05:21
When we get some A* wx I'd like to fly over the stunning lake district possibly with a landaway at Carlisle.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions tips or advice?

:)

cats_five
8th May 2010, 06:37
How high are you thinking of flying over it?

soay
8th May 2010, 07:44
A nice flight is across Morecambe Bay to Ulverston, keeping clear of any meat bombers at Cark, then over Windermere and on towards the DCS VOR, perhaps stopping at Kirkbride. If you do that on a weekday, keep more than 2000 ft AGL, to avoid any military jets. (Given the lack of fields for emergency landings, that's sensible anyway.) If you return down the coast, mind you don't stray into D406 south west of Ravenglass.

liam548
8th May 2010, 13:12
How high are you thinking of flying over it?

How high would you fly over it?

chris-h
8th May 2010, 13:52
I know some people who fly inbetween the mountains at 1500ft, but its at your own risk. You should inform scottish info what your intentions are because you will loose comms until you reach the other side.

There is not a lot of room if traffic is coming towards you and some people hand glide in the area so its a dodgy shout, but a great experience
I wouldnt do it without a GPS either

fuzzy6988
8th May 2010, 13:59
I've not flown there yet. But I did find this a good read: http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa23.pdf

cats_five
8th May 2010, 15:01
See the comment above about fields, and also consider the potential effects of the mountains on the wind. I'd pick a calm day.

liam548
8th May 2010, 16:18
See the comment above about fields, and also consider the potential effects of the mountains on the wind. I'd pick a calm day.

Definately. Nice calm clear CAVOK day. with little wind. This avoids most mountain wave and high terrain issues doesnt it.

Just wondered if the people who fly over that area had any tips of the best routes to take..
:)

ak7274
8th May 2010, 18:38
Hi Liam, again............I have flown from F/S to Kirkbride a few times lately and I generally fly up the A1 to Leyburn, left up the valley towards Hawes and if the cloud is high enough straight on to the south of Windermere,

(if not you can go either NW or SW along a valley that has a disused railway)

North between Windermere and Coniston up to Keswick, Bassenthwaite lake and straight on for a bit to Kirkbride. If you follow the Leyburn valley west you will stay clear of the 2 Military danger areas, Catterick and Warcop. I would suggest you need at least 3000ft over the Pennines and 4000ft over the Lakes unless your going to run in the Valleys a little and following my rough guide will allow you to drop down a wee tait.
If I can help just pm.