PDA

View Full Version : King Air 200 / Beech 1900 Training

Jumbo744
3rd May 2010, 02:10
Hello,

I am almost done with my Instrument and Multi-Engine Rating and I am looking to get some training done on either the King Air 200 or the B1900.

From what I understand there is no type rating for the B200. I'd like to know is there's any school that offers some sort of training with a check on the aircraft? I have found one in YQB that was offering training on a B100 but the cost is 7000$ for 5h of flight, which I think is expansive.

Thanks.
Jumbo

Carrier
3rd May 2010, 15:15
There is a type rating for the BE20 in Canada.
Considering the hourly cost to run a King Air 100 what you have been quoted seems reasonable. Remember all the other costs the company has, including the instructor who might like to receive something for giving you the benefit of his knowledge, skills and experience.
Flight Safety International in Toronto, ON offers Beech 1900 training but it would be cheaper to do it through Flight Training International in Denver, CO. King Air training is usually done in the aircraft by the employer. Some companies do send their employees to Flight Safety International in TX.
Insurance, safety auditors and customers have considerable time and experience requirements for pilots on these aircraft. If you do not meet these then your type rating would be a waste of money as you would be unemployable. This will give you an idea of the requirements: AVCANADA • View topic - Contrail Requirements (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49232)
Buying a type rating would get you a poor reputation in Canadian aviation that might make future employment difficult. There have been numerous threads on this and other forums about dunces and scabs who buy jobs and pay for job specific training such as a type rating. Decent and ethical employers will provide job specific training at their cost to those they choose to hire.

Jumbo744
4th May 2010, 02:51
Carrier,

thanks a lot for your very constructive reply.

Albertaboy, i'm actually thinking about moving to Alberta :ok:

blueline_climb
17th May 2010, 06:26
For the record, a King Air 100 PPC is nowhere near worth $7000 (assuming in house training).

Der absolute Hammer
17th May 2010, 08:29
Sorry to do the intruding on a Canadian affair but, after all, the battle of Fallen Timbers was one, I think.

I used to fly a B100 and I thought that $1.400 an hour was a bit high. ($7k for 5 hours?)

There is this link from an old Prune which might help:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/346543-kingair-b200-type-rating.html

Sorry if it is a bit long winded. I read with interest the post by mhapgood.to the effect that a B200 conversion cost to the training organisation in 2008 was $3k.

King Air 350 Type Rating - Jetcareers (http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/14259-king-air-350-type-rating.html)

Canada is an egalitarian country, except when it comes to Cuba. I respectfully suggest that you research if what CArrier says inb his last paragraph is true. If it is, once you get it that way, like Herpes, it won't be so easy to shake off.

mhapgood
17th May 2010, 13:21
Der Hammer and Jumbo 744... Not much has changed since I posted in the topic about DGCA approval of a B200 program.

Since that time FlyRight has been approved by DGCA for a few specific pilots, but I am convinced they will not provide "blanket" approal - every pilot is analyzed and provided individual training requirements.

Even though we operate a level-C simulator DGCA has always required in-aircraft training and checking in addition to our FAA-approved B200 trianing program (which is 100% simulator based).

As a result, a B200 rating is a very expensive proposition. A decent King Air B200 will cost a minimum of $1,000 per hour to operate, and if a student wants a firm price we will have to quote $1,200 to $1,300 per hour.

Hammer - the cost of $3000 that you reference is just the immediate, direct cost. It just pays the instructor and manuals... it doesn't even begin to cover office space, computers, administrative employees, the chief instructor, heating and airconditioning, phones, simulator, repairs...

Any way you slice it a B200 DGCA rating is expensive!

Der absolute Hammer
18th May 2010, 11:41
Thanks, I realise that $3k is pretty basic if not to say the bargain of the basement.
Not sure of prices in Canada or the system but speaking generally a B200 would not-I think-modestly venture to surmise-really be much cheaper than a jet type rating.
The subject of self funded type ratings has been covered in many other places on Pprune and there are many opinions-some of them very forceful-on the subject.
Personally-I am pleased to hear that Canadians seem not to like the whole business of self funded type ratings, which has elsewhere led to PTF or pay to fly-which is an abomination in my opinion. Nnot because I am a social leveller but because I do think that cockpit entry should be based more on ability than on purchasing power.
That's all a little leaning to drift though...so that's it then.

Jumbo744
26th May 2010, 12:52
Hi there,

I thought the thread had died since so sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for all the info. Actually, I have decided not to pay for the type rating. I have always been against self-funded type-ratings and pay-to-fly programs and even fly-for-free programs.

The things is, when you get an offer for a job and the guy tells you "you'll need to get a rating first", you start thinking and it makes you want to go against your principles.

The offer is from a very small and brand new charter company based in West Africa that only owns ONE King Air 200. I will go there without a Type Rating and see what can be done.

Jumbo.

breizhatofly
6th Aug 2010, 06:08
Hello JUMBO744
what is the name of this company in west africa?
have you had the job whitout hours on BE20?
but they ask you only hours on that plane or a PPC ?

Jumbo744
6th Aug 2010, 08:22
Hi!

well here I am in Africa. Met the owner again, told him I don't have the type rating, said "get it and come back" :*