PDA

View Full Version : United/Continental

Cubs2jets
2nd May 2010, 23:04
AP source: Continental and United to combine - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/ap_on_bi_ge/us_united_continental (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/ap_on_bi_ge/us_united_continental)

C2j

411A
3rd May 2010, 02:00
The seniority list 'integration' should be most interesting...:}:}

DownIn3Green
3rd May 2010, 02:27
UAL ALPO will never go for it...remember 1983?

B-HKD
3rd May 2010, 02:46
DownIn3Green

Never say never

“We have been down this path before, and we have a long-standing working relationship with the pilots of Continental. We would parlay this relationship to help make a merger between United and Continental viable for both pilot groups, as well as toward the success of the combined operations.”

ironbutt57
3rd May 2010, 04:33
Remember '83 all to well, unfortunately "ALPO", in it's infinite wisdom, has chosen to accept the "permanent replacement pilots" (the ones that were bussed to the training center in prison busses for their safety), as "members in good standing, with unfortunate dates of hire":yuk:...United also has Eastern "permanent replacement pilots" on the roster as well, so 83, and the livlihoods lost, was a futile effort, and would have little or no impact on this proposed merger IMHO

Airbubba
3rd May 2010, 04:52

UAL ALPA talks a good game but they lead the past decade's race to the bottom as they jettisoned pay, retirement and work rules to "save the company".

Also, all the folks who crossed the CAL picket line were reinstated as ALPA members in good standing (but with 'unfortunate dates of hire'). Hold the line brothers and sisters, hold the line...

UAL ALPA may whine but they will most likely not be in a position to torpedo the deal or call the shots on seniority in my opinion. If the two pilot groups can't agree on a list, there is always binding arbitration, you can ask the US Air East pilots what that means. But, I really hope things can be sorted out amicably.

As Wendy Morse, UAL ALPA MEC Chairman, said recently:

We have been down this path before, and we have a long-standing working relationship with the pilots of Continental. We would parlay this relationship to help make a merger between United and Continental viable for both pilot groups, as well as toward the success of the combined operations.

UAL MEC News Release (http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/pressroom/pressreleases/2010/4-8-10_10.UAL.htm)

Huck
3rd May 2010, 11:58
The world is changing, leave the past behind and look what is important for the future.

Yes indeed, and what is important for the future is to learn to take what you've been given.

We've reached the point where a recognized labor union cannot tell its workers not to fly overtime. Which means we've pretty much quit recognizing labor unions....

169west
4th May 2010, 09:58
Furlough seniority recall list? Help

DownIn3Green
4th May 2010, 20:07
Studi...so which world are YOU living in...some people never forget... For instance...how did that "****e stirrer" from EAL ALPO become the FAA Administrator???

Yeah..."let's all work for the common good"...B.S....

There will never be an equal merging of senority...if there were, I'd be working for DL or UAL....

Hogwash...

Co Continental....This is your day...I'ts "Jumpseat" payback time here...DI3G...

And you can quote me on that...

aviator
5th May 2010, 02:58
As I said already in another topic. Why all this knive sharpening? By sticking together, the combined United/Continental pilot group could be so powerful.

Studi - well said.

I would make the observation that these comments on this board are made by people not involved in the merger or the process.

The sentiments from the UA/CO groups are largely positive.

protectthehornet
5th May 2010, 04:24
sometimes airlines can get too big for their own good.

united...really hurt the profession with their ''blue sky'' contract.

continental truly hurt the industry with just about everything.

yet, Continental pilot is now head of alpa national.

and date of hire, so long scorned by united pilots, will actually work out.

I don't mind playing by the rules, but if you change the rules to suit your needs, you are harming everyone else.

free at last
5th May 2010, 08:57
You'all remember (Hold the the Line in 89") you will have jobs. And Continental took all , no sorry, or can we help. Nada. Good luck to all.

Bob Lenahan
5th May 2010, 14:21
"date of hire, so long scorned by united pilots, will actually work out." ????

UA pilots used to go to war if anyone even mentioned the thought of anything different from date of hire seniority. I've been out of touch for awhile, but when did they change their thinking?
Bob.

protectthehornet
5th May 2010, 18:52
hi bob

united wanted to buy usair about 10 years ago. but wouldn't even entertain date of hire for seniority integration. Why? Well, USAIR pilots were senior by date of hire.

alpa went away from date of hire...so did american/apa. but it looks like united is now coming back to date of hire as is alpa.

I am in a situation with 22 years at my airline and would be placed JUNIOR to someone with 2 years at another airline.

yeah, right. lots of BS about which airline was keeping the other alive, money and all the crap you could ever imagine.

every other group, flight attendants, mechanics, etc...all got date of hire.

but good old alpa...nope.

DownIn3Green
5th May 2010, 20:21
And the proof is in the pudding...Randy Babble is THE FAA Administrator...All I have to say is remember 1989 and 1983....Funny how we all want to make friends when it suits us...The "ratings factorys on 36th st in MIA was alive and well for Mgmt and Instructor pilots right up to and beyond Jan 18, 1991...

Good luck to all the scumbags....on both sides....

I guess Frank is laughing his butt off all the way to the bank....

West Coast
6th May 2010, 03:36
I am in a situation with 22 years at my airline and would be placed JUNIOR to someone with 2 years at another airline.

yeah, right. lots of BS about which airline was keeping the other alive, money and all the crap you could ever imagine.

You can't simply dismiss there isn't an element of truth to the argument.

protectthehornet
6th May 2010, 06:54
then , if its all about money...how come the FA's and mechanics didn't get screwed?

hmmm?

and if it is about money, how come my part of the airline is making money and the other part is losing money?

Bob Lenahan
6th May 2010, 22:39
Just to respond to my previous question, I was talking up to the seventies. Y'all are much more recent.
Bob.

767Capt
6th May 2010, 23:30
Huck,

If you want to fly overtime to fill your OWN pockets when 1,437 of your brothers and sisters are in the unemployment lines, then the organization you belong to can NOT be called a union, imho.
In 1985 some United pilots felt that way, and they were labeled as "Scabs", surely you remember.
Please re-think the meaning of a Union

Downin3green:

UAL ALPA made many mistakes over the years, not to justify any of those but the pilots of UAL have gone through hell a few times over since 9/11.

Don't know what your problem is-and you sure sound like you have a lot of problems- but calling United and Continental pilots "Scumbags" is cowardly talk behind a keyboard.
If you don't have anything good to say, listen to your mother's advice and keep your mouth shut.

DownIn3Green
6th May 2010, 23:53
Administrator Babble can have my certificate...I haven't used it since 11/2003...and probably never will again...But I remember "hold the line in 89", and also "one day longer than Frank"...

I personally don't think UAL ALPO will allow DOH, and CO ALPO would be better off to go it alone...If I were in either of these outfits today, I'd be looking to putting my papers in ASAP....

How many EAL guys lost their pensions, based on empty promises of the Company??? Remember Shrgrue?

galaxy flyer
7th May 2010, 01:39
That would be ME!, DownIn3Grn. Hot Dog Airlines, you can't get the Franks out. BOSFO. It was fought right down to the last EAL pilot. Hank of DAL-- :yuk:

GF