PDA

View Full Version : Using my initiative or making it hard for myself?

Air22
2nd May 2010, 12:47
I just wondered what people thought about this:

Quite often I'll log on to here and people are posting to ask who they can contact re. jobs at airports. Now in my opinion, I think that's just the lazy option.

In the hunt for my first job in ATC I have taken it upon myself to contact each and every airport where I would like to work to find out who their ATC manager is. Sometimes this has involved more than one phone call but I always get there in the end, and I believe doing this shows I can use my initiative and put in a bit of effort.

So I find it slightly annoying when other people just pop a new thread on here and wait for the answer to come to them. Or are they the more 'sensible' ones by making life easier on themselves? :*

Sir Herbert Gussett
2nd May 2010, 13:06
And most of the ones you describe want to be "ATCers"!!! :ugh:

Minesthechevy
2nd May 2010, 13:13
Seems to me it's a bit of both...

If you look on this forum as a source of information, then posting the requests here are quite valid.

If you look at the 'personal approach' to ATC units as a chance to stock up on initiative brownie points, then that is only valid if you follow up with a visit round the units, absorb the info you are given, and use it efficiently at any future interview.

If you really think that any manager at any ATC unit is going to make a note of your name and pass it on in glowing terms to those responsible for hiring and firing, just because you phoned in person, you are mistaken - they wouldn't GAS. They're much too busy....

aluminium persuader
2nd May 2010, 16:45
In defence of the greater unwashed, Sir Herbert, in a lot of countries the term is "ATCer" as a contraction of air traffic controller rather than the British ATCO.

Your most humble servant,
ap:ok:

Sir Herbert Gussett
2nd May 2010, 21:58
I should add "with terrible grammar and spelling" to avoid confusion :E

Stoffel_KT
8th May 2010, 12:21
I would have to admit that I am guilty to posting one of those messages.

In my defence I would like to say that I did not do this to make it easy on myself or anything like that.
I saw this option just as an extra way of getting possibly some direct information and who knows some direct contacts.

As well I should state that I am in a bit of a more special situation. My training has been terminated recently. I have got a valid student ATC licence (ACS/RAD) and I have had experience in live traffic. If I would apply via the standard new trainee application I would most often be to old, but just as well I can't apply as a fully licenced atco.

Caesartheboogeyman
10th May 2010, 22:06
with terrible grammar and spelling

completely irrelevant to ATC unless you are an old crusty hanging about like a bad smell topping up your pension while your non spotter colleagues consistently cover for your inadequacies as a safe, orderly and expeditious ATC'er.