PDA

View Full Version : You can always trust the BBC

Minesthechevy
2nd May 2010, 09:27
BBC website reported on the Loganair/Flybe thing at Glasgow yesterday

<< Strathclyde's fire service said it took a call from the airport reporting that a "full emergency accident" was "imminent" at about 1620 BST. >>

So, before I retired, the relevant categories were (from memory) 'Full Emergency', 'Aircraft Accident Imminent', and 'Aircraft Accident'. Looks like the BBC think that the Glasgow ATCO was covering all his bases in his phone call - or have they revamped the categories since I left?

Glamdring
2nd May 2010, 10:19
The categories are as you remember them, stupid BBC.

Spitoon
2nd May 2010, 12:19
... - or have they revamped the categories since I left? I think this was firmly tongue-in-cheek.

Minesthechevy
2nd May 2010, 13:17
<< firmly tongue-in-cheek. >>

Spitoon, yessir it was, but I couldn't find a really appropriate smiley.....

Glamdring
2nd May 2010, 13:22
I did pick up on a sarcastic vibe, despite the lack of a smiley :ok:

chiglet
2nd May 2010, 22:53
Don't forget "Local Standby".......:ok:

BigDaddyBoxMeal
2nd May 2010, 23:32
Why do we all expect that people outside our profession should or would have accurate knowledge and understanding of our procedures and/or associated phraseology :confused:

Minesthechevy
3rd May 2010, 05:41
BDBM, I wouldn't expect any such thing.

However, I WOULD expect any news-reporting organisation to report the facts as presented, and as I hop I intimated in my OP, I cannae see any ATCO or even a management spokesman talking such bowlocks as a 'full emergency accident' being 'imminent'.

Chiglet, I racked my small brain for the category below FE, but it eluded me. LSB, of course, TVM.

cdtaylor_nats
3rd May 2010, 07:10
Why would you think anyone outside ATC would care one whit about the correct phraseology. The BBC were reporting what happened to their target audience.

Minesthechevy
3rd May 2010, 09:01
CDT, when I am hearing some news report about - for example - how the police respond to an incident - I TRUST that the report is factual and accurate; the plod would be equally aggrieved if is misreported; and the victims, or even the 'perps' might have some case for redress, depending on how they are represented.

By the same token, those in ATC have a reasonable expectation that their procedures will be accurately reported - even to the uncaring.

All IMHO, of course.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd May 2010, 09:24
Morning M.. I still have nightmares about the way Ronald Turnstile handled the Trident accident. I believe his words on the nin-o'clock noise went something like: "The tower cleared the Trident to climb to 1500 ft" (or something along thoses lines) which was utter tosh.

Minesthechevy
3rd May 2010, 10:03
Morning B

Yeah - 'Talkdown Man Avoids Sky Disaster Horror' =

TWR - 'DLHXXXX, late visual switch to 27L, it's closer to the cargo terminal for you'.

DLHXXXX - 'Danker, ze cargo vill not complain'

chevvron
3rd May 2010, 11:26
It's like all the media including the BBC use that stupid phrase 'near miss' when they actually mean 'airprox'.