PDA

View Full Version : vision improvement

amirfl
8th May 2000, 02:26
I'm a student pilot with over 20 hours. and i want to become one day a proffesional pilot. The problem is that my glass number is about -5 with some astigmatism. so i'll have a problem getting class 1. I heard about natural vision improvement, and even bought a book on the subject and started training about a month ago. yet without results. did someone try natural vision improvement techniques? should I buy a vision improvement product such as america20-20, vision freedom, etc.?had someone here tried those?
i'll really appreciate any help.

Constable Clipcock
8th May 2000, 22:02
It doesn't work for everyone. I've been stable at a refraction of OS -6.75 sph -1.00 cyl
OD -5.25 sph -0.50 cyl
for most of my adult life.

I'm 36 now, and have had an FAA Class 1 since age 19, which had been issued on a waiver at zero hours logged. Back then, the FAR 67 requirement was a DVA no less than 20/100 uncorrected, correctable with glasses to 20/20 or better in each eye separately (my DVA was --- and still is --- 20/200 correctable to 20/12). We have since eliminated the uncorrected DVA minimum altogether.

Fortunately, my country has never imposed a refraction requirement for issuance of a medical certificate (at least for civilian pilots). The whole idea of failing someone due to the prescription of his lenses --- even though his eyesight is correctable to normal parameters --- is utterly ludicrous when one thinks about it. Give it another year or two... your government may very well change the rules in your favor. If not, you can always take your business elsewhere.

------------------
Anybody out after 2 AM is either a turd, a cop or a pilot. Or any combination of the three!