PDA

View Full Version : TRI revalidaton of FI?

Trim Stab
30th Apr 2010, 09:44
Hello,

I am an FI(A) and TRI on C525 (Citation Jet). Does the instruction that I give as TRI on the C525 count towards the hours required to maintain the validity of my FI(A)?

I have not done enough SEP instruction to meet the requirements of a), but have exceeded the hours as a TRI.

From the LASORS:

For the holder of a FI(A) to revalidate the rating they must complete 2 of the following requirements:
a. Complete at least 50 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes as FI, CRI, IRI or as Examiner during the period of validity of the rating, including at least 15 hours of flight instruction within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI rating, 10 hours of this 15 hours shall be instruction for an IR if the privileges to instruct for an IR are to be revalidated.
b. Attend a FI refresher seminar approved by the Authority within the validity period of the FI rating.
c. Pass a FI (A) proficiency check within the 12 months preceding the expiry of the FI rating. For CFS Category Instructors, a CFS Standardisation check on a single-engine piston aeroplane completed within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI rating, will be accepted in lieu of a FI(A) proficiency check.
d. For at least each alternate revalidation of a FI(A) rating the holder shall pass a proficiency check.
The first revalidation after initial issue of the rating shall include a proficiency check as one of the requirements. Thereafter, a proficiency check shall be included as one of the requirements at least every alternate revalidation.

There is no mention in Paragraph a) of instruction as a TRI, but as the CJ1 is a JAR 23 aircraft does this make me also a CRI on CJ1?

Whopity
30th Apr 2010, 11:32
Multipilot Instruction does not count towards a single pilot rating!

bingofuel
30th Apr 2010, 12:07
I understood the C525 was a SPA although can be operated multi crew on an AOC.

As a SPA/MEIR covers it once the rating is on your licence I suspect you may be able to claim the hours as a CRI conducting multi engine training. I did not think you could be a TRI on the C525?

BillieBob
30th Apr 2010, 12:56
The C525 is, indeed, a single pilot aeroplane as defined by JAR-FCL 1.001. Since the privileges of a TRI rating do not (currently) extend to giving instruction on SPA, one might question whether any of the instruction given on the CJ1 is valid. Of course, you might always have been using the privileges of your FI rating provided that the C525 is specified in the rating in accordance with Part B of Schedule 7 of the ANO

Trim Stab
30th Apr 2010, 13:06
I did not think you could be a TRI on the C525?

C525 requires a type-rating to fly it, thus I am a TRI:
http://easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/c/doc/List_of_Aeroplanes_class_and_TR_and_endorsement_list.pdf

However, I teach for single-pilot type-ratings.

I suspect that you are right that I can claim the hours as CRI, though I won't find out until I try to renew my FI(A).

BillieBob
30th Apr 2010, 16:02
C525 requires a type-rating to fly it, thus I am a TRI Whoops, it doesn't work like that...

JAR-FCL 1.360(a) - The privileges of the holder of a TRI(MPA) rating are to instruct licence holders for the issue of a MPA type rating, and the instruction required for multi-crew co-operation.

JAR-FCL 1.375 - The privileges of the holder of a CRI(SPA) rating are to instruct licence holders for the issue of a type or class rating for single-pilot aeroplanes.

The fact that the aeroplane is being flown multi-pilot is not relevant. To instruct for a type rating on a single-pilot aeroplane (i.e. one certificated for operation by one pilot), you need a CRI rating (or an FI rating or STI authorisation). That is why the likes of CAE and FSI have spent significant amounts of money getting their single-pilot jet instructors qualified as CRIs or STIs

It's all going to change under EASA with the introduction of the TRI(HPA) but that's not happening for a couple of years at least.

Whopity
30th Apr 2010, 20:45
If as Billiebob says you are exercising the privileges of your FI rating to give instruction on the C525 as a SPA then it will count towards your FI revalidation assuming you have it endorsed in the rating.

Trim Stab
1st May 2010, 08:03
Thanks Billiebob - that makes it a bit clearer.