PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic ash fallout!

expediteoff
26th Apr 2010, 14:35
Anyone working for NATS unable to make it in during the airspace closure might like to take a look at the message over on the NATS forum.
Looks like our favourite caring, sharing, "working together" ANSP is being as understanding as usual.

G-OFUK
26th Apr 2010, 15:05
Clearly NATS are hoping that after pay and pensions we will drop them again, bend over and take an all-too-familiar shafting.

No thanks - I'm still too sore after the last couple of times, they really are taking the piss a little too much now. What a joke.

BDiONU
26th Apr 2010, 16:20
NATS response is no different to any other big companies that I've read about.

BD

5milesbaby
26th Apr 2010, 17:10
I suggest everyone checks their NIBS, mine shows me having too less hours for a couple of the days even though I was in & didn't take an e.g. I wonder how many other 'discrepancies' will occur...... :rolleyes:

Rage
26th Apr 2010, 18:01
''NATS response is no different to any other big companies that I've read about.''

Maybe true, but then again none of the other big companies were actually responsible for shutting down the airspace and therefore being instrumental in PREVENTING staff from returning to work!

Talkdownman
26th Apr 2010, 18:16
........take an all-too-familiar shafting. No thanks - I'm still too sore after the last couple of times, they really are taking the piss a little too much now. What a joke.

mine shows me having too less hours for a couple of the days even though I was in & didn't take an e.g. I wonder how many other 'discrepancies' will occur.....
A bit like what nats did to me three weeks before retirement when the HR Director thoughtlessly and irrevocably changed the pension terms by withdrawing the 40-year pension scheme WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR CONSULTATION.

SHORT CHANGED. OUTRAGEOUS. NEVER trust nats. I did for 40 years. BIG mistake. nats have a peculiar way of rewarding long and loyal service.

BEWARE.

250 kts
26th Apr 2010, 18:30
suggest everyone checks their NIBS, mine shows me having too less hours for a couple of the days even though I was in & didn't take an e.g

5miles

Having done the noble thing then, I guess you mangaed to find some time during a duty with little or no traffic to get yourself up to speed on the IFACTS AAVA deal?:ok:

5milesbaby
26th Apr 2010, 18:34
I wish 250kts, our reps were stuck overseas :ouch:

250 kts
26th Apr 2010, 19:13
What,all 10 of them? I think every watch has at least 2 and that's just AC.

I think we can take that to be a "no" again then?:ugh:

BDiONU
26th Apr 2010, 19:15
Maybe true, but then again none of the other big companies were actually responsible for shutting down the airspace and therefore being instrumental in PREVENTING staff from returning to work!
Hhhmmm, I think that response is a little disingenious. They acted completely in accordance with their licence, failure to do so would have meant having licence pulled. Then where would all of our jobs be?

BD

250 kts
26th Apr 2010, 19:37
Yes, but the point is that in the very same week that thay needed flexibility from the staff and unions to get the operation up and running smoothly, the HR Director took it on himself to decide a policy despite knowing that the unions were totally against it.:eek:

Now where was the famous Working Together there? And this only a couple of months after the unions "re-joined" WT and managers now being judged as to how well they adhere to it.:ugh:

ZOOKER
26th Apr 2010, 20:41
Will you all be "Working Together'" if Hekla blows its top? :E

5milesbaby
26th Apr 2010, 22:25
Got to hand it to you 250kts, you do beat out a good story! I'm glad to be paying my ££'s each month as I do know there are those like you that actually do fight a worthy cause :D I may banter on some about the poor communications & that could be improved ( I will stand firm on that!) but keep on fighting, as I said, I'm not the person for it just pay my way for others to try it for me.......

I will mix up this one a little though.

I will shout up and say that those that tried to get home are being unfairly treated. How can we fight our corner though when those that had rostered AAVA's refused to cancel them. I don't care about 48 hours notice etc. That just sucks and anyone that actually came in should be ashamed. If we continue like that then we are just going to get walked all over for many years to come.

4 types of controller:
1. Works to live
2. Lives to work
3. Blood sucking leech
4. Do your work, walk away, forget work, live a great life.

5mb, firmly in category 4.

250 kts
27th Apr 2010, 11:40
I do know there are those like you that actually do fight a worthy cause

Not me any more I'm glad to say. I've not been involved for many a year but do keep my ear to the ground. I quite enjoy a No4 lifestyle too.:ok:

Arkady
27th Apr 2010, 13:51
We should resist the imposition of "forced leave taking" at all costs. Create that precident and it won't be long before the company is dictating when you can take leave rather than you choosing.

I do think it would be acceptable to use TOIL for this time off, using up time owed first them going into arrears if required. Ultimately, this TOIL could simply delay retirement by a few days without any real impact on the individual.

Whatever transpires, the answer must be a negotiated solution not one imposed from above. Prospect are right to fight this on principle.

BDiONU
27th Apr 2010, 17:17
@ BDiONU

I see you feel the need to stick up for NATS
Not quite what I was doing, I was presenting an alternate viewpoint, although I fully appreciate that this results in my being viewed as a bum licking management lackey. Whatever.

BD

Gentleman Jim
27th Apr 2010, 17:50
Talkdownman

A bit like what nats did to me three weeks before retirement when the HR Director thoughtlessly and irrevocably changed the pension terms by withdrawing the 40-year pension scheme WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR CONSULTATION.

SHORT CHANGED. OUTRAGEOUS. NEVER trust nats. I did for 40 years. BIG mistake. nats have a peculiar way of rewarding long and loyal service.

BEWARE.

I suggest you get a little legal advice because they cannot do that to you!

Gentleman Jim

Roffa
27th Apr 2010, 18:03
Create that precident and it won't be long before the company is dictating when you can take leave rather than you choosing.

To a certain extent that's done already isn't it when there are limits to how many in a group can be on leave at any one time and also how many days you can take in a set time period?

eglnyt
27th Apr 2010, 18:34
I suggest you get a little legal advice because they cannot do that to you!

Unfortunately it was legal advice that meant they had to. Gordon and his merry men changed the age discrimination legislation and several of our negotiated terms and conditions became illegal overnight.

Arkady
28th Apr 2010, 14:19
"To a certain extent that's done already isn't it when there are limits to how many in a group can be on leave at any one time and also how many days you can take in a set time period?"

That is true and given the nature of the operation it is understandable, but within those guidelines you can request/bid for the leave you want. If the company decides that it can "roster" leave even that limited amount of choice disappears.

2nd May 2010, 12:20
I would suggest that NATS has already set a precedent earlier this year by not deducting leave nor pay from those who couldn't make it into work because of the snow and, indeed, encouraging non-essential staff to go home.