PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me find airports in Brasilia, Brazil?

AdamFrisch
25th Apr 2010, 21:52
Here's the deal. I'm in Brasilia, the capital for a couple of days and would like to fly at a local aero club. Despite being a savvy internet user, I'm having real trouble getting any results - my Google-Fu is weak. Here's my problem:

Googling Aero Club and Brasilia comes up with one single entry. They don't answer their phones and it seems unclear if they're actually in Brasilia.

So tried going through the backdoor by first finding the local airfield and working my way back from there. Google is useless in these regards - it only returns the big international one, BSB. That's no use as I could tell there was no GA on that airfield when we landed.

Next approach was trying to get to some sort of umbrella organization for clubs in Brazil, but the only entry seem to have ceased to exist and the number is discontinued.

I know there must be other smaller fields around Brasilia, as the country is GA crazy, but I can't find any kind of directory or even a map showing airfields. ICAO airfield codes I can find a dime a dozen, but what use is that to me - I have to be able locate it geographically. Is there a resource online anywhere that shows geographically where airports are in the world - like an overview?

Thanks.

PS. Even talked to the captain of the Gol 737 that flew me in after we landed and he said there were local airfields but that he couldn't name them as his head had "gone blank".:confused:

Capetonian
25th Apr 2010, 21:58
If I were in your situation I would try Google Earth -that would give you coordinates and you would be able to find the nearest village and start by 'phoning the local town council .... if you speak the variety of Portuguese that they speak in Brasil. If not, I don't know .....

BackPacker
26th Apr 2010, 07:57
I found the AIP from Brazil online here:

AIS WEB ::. (http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/aisweb/)

It's a bit of an awkward site because not everything that's clickable is obvious, but you can get through to a list of Aerodromes, even in English. If you're so desperate that you're cold-calling anyway, you might as well try the airfield operator. They'll probably know if any GA takes place at their field.

AEST
26th Apr 2010, 22:14
List of airports in the Latam section

overandout
27th Apr 2010, 16:49
get hold of Margi Moss
you can google to their website and contact them. Great people and good flyers.Earthrounders

AdamFrisch
28th Apr 2010, 01:04
Thanks everyone who chimed in. Unfortunately the window is now gone and I'm on my way home soon.