PDA

View Full Version : aero's in a pup 150

micromalc
25th Apr 2010, 21:49
Hi Folks,
A little help needed. I'm thinking of doing some aerobatics in a pup 150 and it seems to me that if flying solo there is not a problem but if with a passenger then you both have to be under 11 stone and only take off with tanks half full (12 gls). Is this right? I admit that i find w/b sheet complicated and I've had a long day.
Ta

'India-Mike
25th Apr 2010, 21:53
Sounds about right but my answer and your question isn't the way to go about preparing for an aerobatic flight. What about balance considerations too - will you need to fit the ballast masses at the tail to be within cg limits?

CessnaCJM
26th Apr 2010, 11:01
Its 30 years since I flew a Pup 150 but one of my recollections is spin recovery at certain weights without the use of the tail weights at low pilot/passenger weights may be a problem - check the POH carefully as I believe C of G can be a problem - although I am sure someone more current than I will be able to clear it up though

Them thar hills
26th Apr 2010, 17:15
Our Pup flight manual did say that spinning weights were to be fitted for aerobatic flight.
It was more a case that the Pup was reluctant to spin without weights as the CG was generally too far forward, albeit within limits...
Exactly where you would find a pair of genuine spinning weights I wouldn't know, but no doubt there will be some gathering dust somewhere in a dark corner.
Interesting - if an aircraft needed weights near the tail to aid spin recovery, I wouldn't want to fly it !!
:)

Final 3 Greens
28th Apr 2010, 16:53
I used to own part of a Pup.

Lovely aeroplane, a sheer delight to fly.

But do you really want to do aeros in a 'semi aerobatic' venerable old lady?

If so, have youi had the eddy tests done on the main spar recently?

I'd hire a Zlin or similar myself.

Dan Winterland
29th Apr 2010, 02:41
"I used to own part of a Pup.''

Which part? Not the spinning weights I gather!

Seriously, the Pup is certified for limited aerobatics, but it's not the best mount. I suggest you spend the money and train and rent on something more capable if you feel the need to turn upside down.

I'd forgotten about those weights!

Final 3 Greens
29th Apr 2010, 07:14
Which part?

The expensive part, judging by the bills that used to come in :}

Them thar hills
29th Apr 2010, 11:08
Lovely handling aeroplane, but those Dunlop brakes.......:hmm:

Pup Flyer
29th Apr 2010, 11:28
ahhh well you want to do the Cleveland brake conversion. :)

Also I did my AOPA Aeros Certificate in my Pup... and was fine. If you keep the fuel load down it was fine in the Spin.. very predictable. Remember to wipe clean the battery compartment afterwards though .

The lower power and delightful feel make it a good mount to learn a Basic level routine in my opinion.

Oldpilot55
30th Apr 2010, 19:06
Ditto Cleveland brakes. They work just fine.
The battery is described as cleared for aerobatics and is wrapped up in self-amalgamatting tape thus making it leakproof.
When I bought my Pup I received two bright orange lead weights that clamp to the ventral fin through a single bolt hole. I'm not sure how much they weigh but I could lift them so perhaps 40-50 pounds. I did weigh them once but I've forgotten.
Reading the manual it suggested the weights were only for spin recovery. When we did some aerobatics we did not use them and we had no problem doing some basic semi-aerobatic manouevers. All positive G. Stall turns and rolls I remember but the rest I forget. The pilot who did the aerobats thought it flew beautifully and I have to agree. The Pup is a most underrated aeroplane except by those who know the truth!

micromalc
1st May 2010, 09:35
Thanks guys for the helpful replies, I've managed to get hold of a W+B calculator fpr my computer and so have solved the problem of how much fuel to put in.
I agree, the pup is a delight to fly.