PDA

View Full Version : Police ask public to report suspicious aircraft

coldair
25th Apr 2010, 18:04
From the BBC;
BBC News - Alert over suspicious aircraft activity in Kent (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8642712.stm)

Alert over suspicious aircraft

Members of the public are being asked to report any suspicious aircraft activity across Kent as part of efforts to increase border security.
Kent Police said it took only 10 minutes to fly across the English Channel into the county, which has about 120 public and private airfields.
It said suspicious activity could be a clue in crimes linked to terrorism, drug smuggling or human trafficking.
Illegal firearms smuggling and money laundering could also be involved.

“ The community can play an important part in intelligence gathering and helping us investigate illegal aviation and associated crimes ”
Det Insp Charlie Stokes Kent Police

Last December, Frenchman Eric Adrien Laou-Hep was jailed after he flew into Laddingford Airport, Maidstone in a light aircraft without permission and smuggled seven illegal immigrants into the UK.
He admitted assisting illegal entry when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court.
Police said the airport manager informed police after spotting the immigrants running away from the aircraft.
"The community can play an important part in intelligence gathering and helping us investigate illegal aviation and associated crimes simply by knowing what comprises suspicious activity and reporting it," said Det Insp Charlie Stokes. Suspicious activity might include aircraft flying very slowly and low, circling, or taking off or landing at odd times such as in the early hours.

AEST
25th Apr 2010, 18:17
Can you say Sierra Tango Alpha Sierra India?

IO540
25th Apr 2010, 18:22
Actually the "illegal firearms smuggling" sounds interesting. I might bring my younger son to watch. However, I fear that my ex wife might demand that I take him to see only legal firearms smuggling :)

You can tell that anybody breaking the law has no chance. The people writing this are so sharp...

PilotPieces
25th Apr 2010, 19:12
Don't the public report normal aircraft activity at the moment anyway? If there was an aircraft flying around dropping packages into a field, surely it would have already been reported an hour ago for "nearly knocking my chimney off"...as it passed over someones house at 1500' and then also "disturbing my sleeping cat that already has a heart murmor", as it climbed away from its 100 year old departure airfield, overhead a 6 month old housing estate.

We should all start reporting all Lorries in Kent as suspicious too.

niknak
26th Apr 2010, 19:58
Old news.

This is common procedure for every police force in the UK, particularly in rural areas (where the locals miss nothing anyway;)) and has been for a number of years.

pasir
27th Apr 2010, 07:57
Further to 'dropping packages into fields' - The following method may tax piloting skill -

In 1956 the Missionary pilot of a Piper Cub developed a technique for delivering supplies to native tribes in remote areas of the Equador Jungle - by circling and lowering by rope a canvass bucket.

If further interesed google Jungle Pilot

GK430
27th Apr 2010, 12:04
Drat, the Lysander is still tech - I better not risk the usual run this week until it's fixed ;)

RatherBeFlying
27th Apr 2010, 13:39
A few decades before 9/11 one glider pilot merrily chased lift a few hundred clicks into the US from Canada without advising customs:=

He landed at a glider field and was firmly advised not to report his landing.

The retrieve crew did nothing to disabuse US Customs of the assumption that the trailer had a glider inside;)