PDA

View Full Version : Inquire

bingoboy
25th Apr 2010, 07:16
Why do some folk name their price as : Inquire ; when advertising their aircraft ?

Whirlygig
25th Apr 2010, 07:39
'Cos they haven't got a clue how much it's worth and want to see what the demand is like before committing themselves to a price.

Cheers

Whirls

rmac
25th Apr 2010, 08:03
That may be true whirlygig, but probably not the most effective way of market research for the seller ..

In most cases you can see the statement for more expensive or rare aircraft (which more or less supports your view).

However I have a feeling that the seller in many cases doesn't want to "scare off" a potential buyer with a number that looks high, due to the aircraft being in excelent condition compared to most on the market, and hopes to attract the buyer by keeping the number invisible for the time being so that the buyer can be engaged in a meaningful dialogue about the value and the sellers reasons why it is set at that value.

I don't know if this works for anyone else, but the general effect on me is that I just don't bother to call.

gpn01
25th Apr 2010, 08:10
I don't know if this works for anyone else, but the general effect on me is that I just don't bother to call.

Maybe so. But if you're seriously in the market for the particular aircraft then I suspect you'll contact the vendor.

A and C
25th Apr 2010, 09:11
The problem with posting the "real" price for your aircraft is that someone will post a lower price and then add other charges such as, fuel surcharge, landing fees, briefing charges, Etc Ect and then top it off with the VAT.

I worked for a flying club that was totaly up front about the total cost of flying, the result was that over half the people who phoned enquireing about prices tried to ring off usualy stating the cost as the reason, only with a lot of fast talking could you keep them on the phone long enough to let them know that other flying clubs only quoted the "basic" cost of the flying unless a direct question about other charges was made.

Even so I know of more than a few people who paid a lot more for a PPL than they could have as these tactics got them in too deep with the club before they got wise.

My marketing tactic is to post the lowest price as a headline to grab the eye and then post the total price within the webpage so to not be dishonest about the real cost of flying

IO540
25th Apr 2010, 09:19
The other thing is that most planes are for sale via a broker, and he will never advertise the price he really thinks it will go for, which - for common types - will usually be 20-30% below the advertised price.

Had he advertised the real target price, the whole market will get marked down and then the punters will be looking for 20-30% off that price ;)

stickandrudderman
25th Apr 2010, 09:23
When people call me looking for prices I ask them if they want the "Brand name, get you in the door price or the real price".
This usually illicits a conversation whereby you get a chance to make your pitch and any resultant business is based on a good old fashioned, honest and up front conversation.

So, "Enquire" or "Inquire" is an invitation for dialogue.....

I should add that I'm selling services not products.....

vanHorck
25th Apr 2010, 09:32
"Enquire" because all these sellers are hoping for not-so-knowledgeable buyers who will end up paying over the odds.....

Taling into consideration the type, age, specs and history the parameters for the correct pricing seems to be pretty narrow to me...

Just sold my Seneca IV for 7% below asking price, no hidden discounts or extra charges