PDA

View Full Version : What can US FAA cert fly in Europe??

Trolltuner
23rd Apr 2010, 15:27
OK, I have an FAA issued Commercial Pilot, SEL, instrument and instructor ratings. I visit the local flying club for a checkout. What must I do to fly a European registered airplane here? Any special requirements??

TNX.

Cheers,

Tom

AEST
23rd Apr 2010, 15:36
I believe you need to check with the local CAA in the country you want to fly in. Ofcourse if you fly an N-reg all OK.

IO540
23rd Apr 2010, 16:03
The privileges of a license/rating (if any) are determined firstly by the aircraft state of registry.

So if you are flying a D-reg plane, you need to ask the German CAA what process they offer (if any) for the validation of an FAA license. Etc.

The UK CAA is unusual in that you can fly a G-reg worldwide VFR on any ICAO license, without having to get any formal validation (the validation is automatic).

Most European countries offer some kind of validation process but usually it involves some paperwork. I don't think it is easy to find out what these are, without doing some serious banging on the relevant CAA.

The French, IIRC, have a hilarious process whereby they allow non EU residents to fly an F-reg on FAA licenses. Typically French; trying to block the locals from doing it :) However, it was a few years ago I saw this in writing.

mmgreve
23rd Apr 2010, 16:03
Check with the Norwegian CAA

In some countries (Denmark is one) they have very bizare rules that prohibit foreign certificats and airplanes to be based in the country (so n-regs are no-go)

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Apr 2010, 16:41
The UK will allow you day/VFR/PPL privileges on any G-registered aeroplane, without any special permissions.

I know FAA licenced pilots who fly D-reg aircraft professionally under special permissions issued by DLR (the German CAA).

G

IO540
23rd Apr 2010, 18:20
I know FAA licenced pilots who fly D-reg aircraft professionally under special permissions issued by DLR (the German CAA).

[my bold]

That may be a slightly different thing. On AOC ops, most countries will give you a local validation (sometimes a local conversion, which is a whole new local set of papers) of FAA papers. Some don't need it to be an AOC operation; a "relationship" with a local commercial operator is enough. These concessions are not advertised, for obvious reasons, and are hard to dig out with casual enquiries.

Sam Rutherford
25th Apr 2010, 17:23
"In some countries (Denmark is one) they have very bizare rules that prohibit foreign certificats and airplanes to be based in the country (so n-regs are no-go)"

I didn't know that. What are their criteria for 'based'?

Thanks, Sam.

IO540
25th Apr 2010, 17:50
I don't think Denmark enforces this. I used to know a very experienced N-reg pilot who was Danish and who discovered this "regulation" to his great suprise. Nobody ever picked him up on it.

The criteria would indeed be interesting...

In some countries it appears to be somewhat frowned upon. There are a lot of N-regs in Germany but a German friend of mine who recently bought an IFR tourer moved it from a foreign reg to D-reg because, he said, one gets regularly accused of fiddling one's taxes... I suppose the Germans are a more "compliant" nation. But they have no regs on this.

733driver
25th Apr 2010, 18:14
Genghis, you wrote "I know FAA licenced pilots who fly D-reg aircraft professionally under special permissions issued by DLR (the German CAA)"

The DLR is not the German CAA. The LBA is.

pmh1234
25th Apr 2010, 20:24
The Danish CAA has just issued a message saying they want to focus on foreign regs and people will be punished. A guy was taken to court and fined I think it was app. 300£ for flying an n-reg.
This should really be taken to a higher court but that will take some money. :mad:

IO540
25th Apr 2010, 22:56
What exactly is the law he was alleged to have broken?

AEST
25th Apr 2010, 23:18
Flying with the wrong letter painted on the side of the plane?

BackPacker
26th Apr 2010, 06:48
What exactly is the law he was alleged to have broken?

My guess is that this is going to have to do with customs/import/VAT/duty, not with aircraft/pilot licensing. Otherwise every commercial US carrier would be liable for prosecution in Denmark.

IO540
26th Apr 2010, 08:07
My guess is that this is going to have to do with customs/import/VAT/duty

I agree. Or some document delivery noncompliance.

As has been proven in France and the UK (the soon-abandoned 2004/2005 proposals) the only way one can ban N-reg airframes from a specific country is to have long term parking limits.

Such measures would soon create daft scenarios e.g. what happens with an aircraft which is sitting inside a hangar waiting for parts? In the UK proposal, it would have to be carted out on a trailer, to somewhere outside the UK, after 90 days.

mmgreve
26th Apr 2010, 12:34
Sorry, been offline for a while

My guess is that this is going to have to do with customs/import/VAT/duty, not with aircraft/pilot licensing. Otherwise every commercial US carrier would be liable for prosecution in Denmark.

It is actually a matter of licensing thing - or rather a control thing (one of the few remaining areas of linient tax in the country)

I spoke with the Danish CAA about this (as I am considering an FAA IR and as such might as well dump the whole EASA thing all together). They are very concerned about who is going to ensure the safety of the aeroplane if they don't have the oversight and, as such, you are banned from basing anything in Denmark without an OY-reg. I doubt very much that this is in keeping with the Chicago convention and I know that a number of people are looking to challenge the Danish CAA legally. Coincidently, the fine (as said, around £300) is too small to merit the higher court taking a look at this.

Additionally they could also inform me that if I dumped my EASA license, in favour of FAA I would not be allowed to fly an OY-reg (legally), not even within Danish borders (though given the size, you pretty much leave the country if you leave the circuit)

I, for one, very much doubt that planes start falling out of the sky to a greater degree when under FAA supervision. I am also pretty sure that the FAA have more planes under their register in Europe alone, than the Danes have in the whole country (that number is 1152)

:D

IO540
26th Apr 2010, 12:37
you are banned from basing anything in Denmark without an OY-reg.How exactly is the "basing" determined? A foreigner can fly into Denmark and land there, under his ICAO privileges. They cannot stop that, so the only possible control is a long term parking limit on the airframe. Can you find out the precise wording of this regulation?

Additionally they could also inform me that if I dumped my EASA license, in favour of FAA I would not be allowed to fly an OY-reg (legally), not even within Danish borders (though given the size, you pretty much leave the country if you leave the circuit)They are entitled to do that. The privileges of any license in a Danish reg are according to the Danish CAA.

I, for one, very much doubt that planes start falling out of the sky to a greater degree when under FAA supervision. I am also pretty sure that the FAA have more planes under their register in Europe alone, than the Danes have in the whole country (that number is 1152)According to an FAA presentation I went to the other day, you are correct by a factor of about 4x :)

Sam Rutherford
29th Apr 2010, 14:14
Anyone know about these 'parking limits'?

If there's a rule; it'll be written down somewhere (at least, that's what normally happens) :hmm:

Safe flights, Sam.

AlexUM
29th Apr 2010, 18:36
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of the process of transfering my FAA license (just PPL though..) to spanish JAA standards. It's not really straightforward.

Some requirements apply only to certain countries, but these steps should pretty much cover the basics:

1. Copy of valid JAR-FCL medical.
2. Minimum of 100 (Germany asks 75h) hours flight time "adequately certified".
3. Valid radio operator license.
4. Accredited copy of valid pilot certificate.
5. Certificate of Authenticity from the FAA stating that the license is valid and current. You can get that easily from the FAA website.
6. Pass an exam in human factors and legal stuff.
7. Checkride.

Usually, you also have to prove that you live for a minimum amount of time in the country you are applying to.

I'm struggling with #2 #4. For #4 I'm thinking of going to a notary or something...

Hope this helps.

Will keep you informed ;)

Happy landings,
Alex

IO540
29th Apr 2010, 19:10
Yes, what you are describing looks like the UK CAA "100 hour route" - except I have not heard of hte UK asking for documentation to support the 100 logged hours.

I'd think this could be hard, because a PPL is going to have maybe 50hrs supported by instructors, and in most cases the instructor won't have signed the flight anyway.

birrddog
29th Apr 2010, 20:06
I'd think this could be hard, because a PPL is going to have maybe 50hrs supported by instructors, and in most cases the instructor won't have signed the flight anyway.
In FAA land the instructor is supposed to sign dual instruction entries.

In the UK and South Africa, if I recall correctly, my instructors only signed milestones (check rides, qualifying cross countries, etc.) and solo when under their supervision.

IO540
29th Apr 2010, 20:11
That's my experience too, though by the time I finished the UK PPL I already had half an eye on conversions, and I went back and got every line signed - before the people vanished to some airline :)