PDA

View Full Version : Working in Canada with American passport

alphaadrian
22nd Apr 2010, 14:51
Guys,

Just a quick question. Can someone with an American passport just turn up in Canada and start working or are they regarded as 2 separate countries for work purposes....apologies if its a silly question!! Im european but have dual citizenship with USA and wondered if Canada was an option since there are a few operators there who fly my type. And while im here..how easy is it get permission to work in Latin America countries eg venezuela, honduras, columbia,peru with a british/usa passport

Thanks guys and girls:ok:

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Apr 2010, 20:07
Canadian cirtizens require authorization to work in the US so I would hope its reciprocated. However, the canadian process to work in the US is easier than for EU citizens, so again I'd expect you'd find it easier to take the US approach than the EU one.

edit: the following website probably tells you all you might need to know: Working temporarily in Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp)

alphaadrian
22nd Apr 2010, 21:14
Thanks Scientist:ok:

Alpha

CaptW5
22nd Apr 2010, 23:52
The quick answer is 'No'. You are either are a Canadian Citizen or have the right to live/work in Canada. Neither a European or US passport gives you the right to work in Canada.

Dushan
25th Apr 2010, 14:36
Well we shower every day so some may consider us the same as Americans, but we are two separate countries.

To work in Canada you either have to be a Canadian, a landed immigrant, a refugee awaiting disposition of your status, or have a special temporary work permit. Being a US citizen does not give you automatic rights to work in Canada.

er340790
27th Apr 2010, 21:05
Just to clarify (the term landed immigrant was replaced years ago) you have to be either a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident to have the right to work in Canada. (There are some working student arrangements, but I'm assuming they don't apply in your case.)

Generally all new arrivals have to go through the PR route (used to be +/- a year to process, but has been as high as 3-4 years :eek: lately.) After 4 or 5 years, I forget the exact details, you can become a citizen if you have been resident for a mandated number of days since arrival and have no criminal record etc.

Sadly, NAFTA is nothing like the EU. You don't get the right to work, you will pay taxes when importing / exporting items, and you don't get the right to residency etc.

Kind of makes you wonder why they bothered with it really... Oh, yes... cos they included Mexico. :} :} :}