PDA

View Full Version : Radio Operator License

Welle
22nd Apr 2010, 08:24
hello aviators..

can anyone help me with the following issue?

a friend of mine (russian citizen) wants to obtain a UK or JAR Radio Operator License.
Is this possible for non residents?
does he need a course in a FTO?
which documents need to be provided?

thx 4 your help
christoph

Whopity
22nd Apr 2010, 11:16
The UK issue a Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence FRTOL to any person who qualifies for the issue. There is no requirement to complete a formal course of training though this might be adviseable. The test can be taken with any of the Examiners listed in this document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FRTOLExaminersOctober2009v3.pdf). Prices vary, some provide training as well as testing. Your friend will need his passport to identify himself and he will need to be able to speak English to at least ICAO Level 4.

Details of the examination are here (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/EG_Circ_2004_W_019_en.pdf)
The privileges of the licence are in Schedule 7 of the ANO (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf) and essentially only allow the holder to operrate an aircraft radio station in a G reg aircraft. They do not include ground radio operation and it is not a licence for a radio station.

The cost is given in this document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/251PLS.pdf):for the grant or renewal of a Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence (except where the applicant is the holder of a licence to act as pilot, flight navigator or flight engineer), a charge of £70. It is freee to the holder of another UK Flight Crew Licence.

There is no such thing as a JAA radio licence. Each JAA State may set its own requirements to comply with International Telecommunications Union (ITU) requirements

S-Works
22nd Apr 2010, 13:07
So does the holder of a JAA FCL licence issued in another state require a UK FRTOL to operate in UK registered aircraft?

Welle
22nd Apr 2010, 14:12
hello mates!

@RTO
thank you very much for this detailed information; I will forward it promtly - whenever we meet I owe you a double beer!

@ JAR license:
as far as I was informed issuing of a RTO license is restricted to permanent or temporary residents in some JAR countries. he trys to get his JAR PPL in Germany and asked me to find out about possibilities to get the RTO in Britain, as he frequently has to do some busines there..

fly safe
christoph

Whopity
22nd Apr 2010, 14:30
So does the holder of a JAA FCL licence issued in another state require a UK FRTOL to operate in UK registered aircraft?No, their JAA licence is validated in the UK by ORS 4 No 747. There are occasionally cases where a RT licence may have been issued based upon another language however that is largely covered now by the requirement for English Language to operate Internationally.

he trys to get his JAR PPL in Germany and asked me to find out about possibilities to get the RTO in Britain, as he frequently has to do some busines there..If he gets a JAA PPL in Germany he will not need a separate UK FRTOL!

Mungaloid
27th Apr 2011, 19:34
Anyone know what the requirements for the German Authorities to issue a German Radiotelephony Operator's Licence, based on the fact that I hold a Radiotelephony Operator's Licence issued by an ICAO member state but I do not speak German.

Thanks in advance,

Whopity
28th Apr 2011, 06:49
There is no such thing as an ICAO RTO; ICAO ceased to recognise RTO permits over 15 years ago. Individual States still issue such permits/licences to comply with ITU requirements and to ensure that operators are familiar with their own National procedures. For that reason, you will find little changeability between licences as the content and requirements differ considerably. I do recall that the German Ministry of Telecommunications did have a very nice document in English listing their requirements. I recall it was much clearer than the UK Wirelerss Telegraphy Act.

I suggest you contact the LBA. Presumably you are not a pilot or you would already have the privileges.

Mungaloid
28th Apr 2011, 19:52
I never said I had an ICAO RTO! What is written is I have a Radio Operators Licence ISSUED by an ICAO MEMBER STATE.

The LBA does not issue or validate radio licences either, its the Bundesnetzagentur.

An assumption is the mother of all F'UPS!!

Whopity
28th Apr 2011, 20:57
I have not made any such assumption, I simply stated that as there is no ICAO RTO licence, having a licence issued by an ICAO State has little relevance. As you appear to know full well who issue them in Germany, surely they are best equipped to answer the question.