PDA

View Full Version : carbon monoxide detector

liam548
20th Apr 2010, 09:23
I think the cardboard ones are useless so I carry an electronic Fireangel.

This one here on an aviation website is significantly more expensive. Why? Just because its "on an aviation website"?

Electronic Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector (http://www.flyingaviation.com/products/Electronic-Carbon-Monoxide-%28CO%29-detector.html)

IO540
20th Apr 2010, 09:43
Anything "aviation" costs a lot more.

At Friedrichshafen (AERO 2010) I saw, on the Jeppesen stand, a firm showing some pretty slick tablet computers. 2900 euros. It turns out you can buy the same device for about 50% of that, from the company importing them from the Far East - if you do not mention "aviation".

Yet these are all portable devices so certification is not an issue.

Regarding CO, I use a BW Gasalert device which is really good - it picks up exhaust of the plane which landed before me, sucked in through the heater - but it cost a helluva lot more... about £350, when I bought it a few years ago.

A lot of stuff has come down. Blood oxygen meters too; I paid over £300 for mine and now they are below £100. What the accuracy or battery life is like may be a different story...

rans6andrew
20th Apr 2010, 10:42
we have a "domestic" CO2 meter which didn't cost a huge amount. A quick look inside shows that the circuitry is not protected against damp environments and there are a number of components which are not braced to resist vibration. I would guess that an aviation unit would have these basic things dealt with. The temperature range seen in an aircraft cocpit also excedes the spec on the unit we have, at both ends of the range.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Rans6....

IO540
20th Apr 2010, 12:20
the circuitry is not protected against damp environments and there are a number of components which are not braced to resist vibration. I would guess that an aviation unit would have these basic things dealt with

I think you would be suprised... have you recently looked inside a typical £10k piece of certified avionics?

soay
20th Apr 2010, 12:59
I've got a SafeTest 90 (http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13077). It's easy to use and makes a very loud noise when it detects CO.

Ryan5252
20th Apr 2010, 18:48
My 150 has a Canary in the back, cheap as chips! (After a good flight he'll even sing as I taxi back)! :}