PDA

View Full Version : Pinhole Glasses?

densil
11th Aug 2001, 21:04
Ok I might be cluctching at straws here, but has anyone tried pinhole glasses? Do they work? Such a stupid problem is not keeping me on the ground!!!

Densil

Maxcrosswind
12th Aug 2001, 02:54
They do work but the JAA optometrist will keel over laughing when you show up with them on. I bought a pair when I was 8 from the back of a Marvel comic ad.

densil
12th Aug 2001, 18:08
Not to wear for the examination, but to improve my eyes, to train them up, for the examination

Densil

Grainger
12th Aug 2001, 20:10
What do you mean - work ?

Yes, you'll get a wacky effect where everything looks sharper and weird - pinhole camera effect.

But no, it won't change your refraction or prescription for the eyesight test...

Sorry to be wet blanket and all but wouldn't want anyone getting false hopes up.

Deaf
13th Aug 2001, 15:52
Actually quite useful as improvised glasses (eg name card with biro hole in it) when you lose/break reading glasses. Of course for aviation you should have a spare pair.

kabz
13th Aug 2001, 19:33
Could you draw little spirals on them, and make the pax think that Elton John was flying ?

Hee hee

Dan Dare
13th Aug 2001, 19:55
There is a book called "Better sight without glasses" with things you can do to work the eye muscles. I read it 10 years ago (when my eyesight was excellent) but don't remember much about it now that it could be useful.

I'm sure that there would be lots of interest in top tips from the book (and if they work) if anybody has it...

Cypres
13th Aug 2001, 20:54
Densil,

Dan Dare hit the nail on the head with his reference to the Book “Better eyesight without glasses”. An optician wrote this book in 1919. He was disillusioned with just fobbing people off with glasses when he knew their eyesight could be improved without the use of glasses. (If anything glasses bugger up your vision - if you doubt this then why do peoples eyesight prescriptions get stronger instead of weaker?)

Don’t let the age of the book put you off, it contains a good insight into how the whole of sight works (i.e. That squidgey grey stuff that the eyeballs are wired to) whereas opticians just concentrate on the Refractive error and try to sell you glasses.

Unfortunately the guy who wrote this book has the surname Bates. It just had to be that the only person to write something useful about curing defective eyesight had the surname Bates!

It is possible to improve you eyesight and you could try visiting the website www.seeing.org (http://www.seeing.org) for info about Bates’s teachers.

I’m a bit short of time right now but if are interested in more info let me know.

p.s. I’ve got a copy of the book at home so I’ll update this thread with the full details tomorrow.

p.p.s. I’m currently working on improving my eyesight and having very real results.

Good Luck

Cypres

densil
13th Aug 2001, 22:35
Yeah, that would be great Cypres. I have been trying to improve my eyesight through Bates' methods over the last few weeks, to no avail yet. However, I am very determined that its not going to ruin my hopeful career.
Any information would be great

Many Thanks
Densil

Dan Dare
14th Aug 2001, 02:26
Doh!!!

I've been using the 'bates method & my eyesight's getting worse. I'll try the Bates' method in furure if Cypres posts as promissed...

Cypres
14th Aug 2001, 16:39
Dan Dare,

you should be using Bates Seniors's methods, I suspect you may be using his son's methods which are proven to ruin eyesight.

Cypres :)

Eagle 1
15th Aug 2001, 19:20
So which are the senior methods and which are the junior methods? :confused: :confused:

Cheers

:)Eagle 1 :)

Cypres
17th Aug 2001, 16:49
Eagle I,

In days gone by (and not that long ago either) it was common practice when addressing correspondence to a young male to give him the title "Master" followed by his surname. Now, if your father is unfortunate enough to have the surname Bates you would probably dread receiving letters. :eek:

Densil, on a more serious note I haven't forget about you, I've been mad busy this week (First & Second Solo Cross country flights done and a Dual QXC!).
When I've got five minutes to spare I'll post some more info.

p.s. Also managed to squeeze in an eye test to see if my sight had improved. It's gone from:
R+3.5 Visual Acuity 6/12
L+3.0 Visual Acuity 6/9

to:
R+2.5 Visual Acuity 6/5
L+2.5 Visual Acuity 6/5

Which is good enought for a Class 1

And also maintains the same refractive error with the drops in!

And the Steropsis is almost perfect when I wear the above prescription.

I used to surpress my right eye and could never see the so called Magic stereo images.
I've cured the surpression and can now see them (Takes about 5 - 10 mins for the image to appear the first attempt but after that I can usually see it again in a few seconds.

Cheers

Cypres

p.s.
Must be surpressing my left eye now since the Air Speed Indicator keeps drifting below 70 Knots on finals (I've ruled out any possibility of it being me forgetting to re-trim after applying full flaps because that would mean I was just incompetent!)

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: Cypres ]

Eagle 1
18th Aug 2001, 21:30
Oops, what I meant to ask was which are the methods which make youre vision go down hill as oposed to the methods which are meant to work :confused:

Thanx

:)Eagle 1 :)

(Eddittd becos of spellin mistokes)

[ 18 August 2001: Message edited by: Eagle 1 ]

Tiger_ Moth
19th Aug 2001, 02:39
Cypres how long did it take to get that improvement and what did you do each day? On the site you gave it describes palming and colour days. Would they provide a noticeable improvement if I did them for a while or would I need to do other things too?
And about palming: is it really that effective as when you sleep in a dark room isnt that nearly the same as palming and it lasts for a lot longer?