PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: The Ash Situation

Ixixly
19th Apr 2010, 12:28
So, heres a quick question. I'm fully aware of the effects Ash and other airborne contaminants spewed forth by volcanoes can have on Aircraft, but why can they not simply fly below this Ash? Isn't it a higher level effect?

Why are there not more airlines with some balls creating low level flight routes and having them quickly allowed by their respective ATC Groups and/or Aviation Authorities. I'm also aware that aircraft flying lower have less full efficiency, but wouldn't an aircraft fully loaded with punters willing to pay an arm and a leg to move about more than make up for that?

This is all coming from a pilot with less than 300hours, so excuse my ignorance, i'm simply trying to understand the situation a little better!!

sprocky_ger
19th Apr 2010, 12:40
Hm, did you search the masses of "ash" or "volcano" posts? You will probably find an answer there. I am sure I read at least one post containing the answer to your question.

Braviator
19th Apr 2010, 12:53
Good question. It's not just the fuel efficiency (although that would have to be one of the biggest factors) but your range is severely decreased. Just the other day a Russian Airline tried to fly from Moscow to Rome, got as low as 9,000ft around when flying over Poland, ended up almost running out of fuel and had to divert to Vienna. So it makes a huge difference. I'd say over all it would be well cheaper for the airlines to cancel the flights. The ash isn't just high level, can get quite low as well. So it'd be a pretty big gamble. Safety first. :ok:

trafficnotsighted
19th Apr 2010, 12:54
Ignorance not excused - read the main thread on the subject and you'll get your answer:ugh:

Ixixly
19th Apr 2010, 13:58
Sorry, my time is limited these days because of work, I could trawl through the half a dozen threads around here and they touch on the effects the ash has and the potential effects that all these cancelled flights will have on profits and jobs but very few have touched on whats being done to get around these problems, been reading the news and seen that BA and that Russian Mob tried it and have claimed to have no ill-effects so thats what brought me to this direct question!