PDA

View Full Version : go around vs. circle the field

miananda
19th Apr 2010, 00:10
Sorry I'm new in the aviation world....some things that might look obvious to me end up being totally different from what I thought....so I decide to better ask...thanks!
I want to know what is the difference between "go around" and "circle the field" instructions. Do these instructions differ from the other depending on the airspace and airdrome?

Tarq57
19th Apr 2010, 01:45
A "go around" is an aborted landing approach.
It can be initiated by ATC in response to a safety or similar concern (not enough space between aircraft, an obstruction on the runway, etc) or initiated by the pilot, for any reason. (eg: not stable on the approach, unsafe aircraft condition such as a gear-up warning etc).

The aircraft will then power up and start climbing. This is also known as an overshoot.

What happens next depends on the traffic, the type of operation, and the weather. Circle the field (carrying out a visual circuit to re-position for landing) is one option, weather permitting. Another is to make a standard instrument missed approach, the details of which will be documented on the approach chart.