PDA

View Full Version : "Current" chart

bookworm
17th Apr 2010, 13:23
The UK ANO requires carriage of:

Maps, charts, codes and other documents and navigational equipment necessary, ... for the intended flight of the aircraft including any diversion which may reasonably be expected.

ICAO rules require:

current and suitable charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted

What does "current" mean? What should "current" mean? Is it reasonable that my flight is illegal because the chart producer created a new version yesterday, which I don't yet have?

(I've posted this question in another place as well. Please don't feel that you have to post the same answer in both places. I'll read it all.)

IO540
17th Apr 2010, 16:19
It seems meaningless from the POV of both practicality and enforcement, not least because every printed aviation chart is out of date even before it gets printed...

For guidance on the legal situation, one could look to some far away countries which do have a "carriage of a current printed chart" requirement. I can't think of names but vaguely recall of some like Indonesia. That's run from Cologne too, isn't it?

Whopity
17th Apr 2010, 16:41
I think in this case it implies a valid chart as opposed to one that has become invalid due to changes or an absence of information on it. There is nothing to prevent the owner updating a chart by adding changes to information or additional information thus making it "current". In the RAF we often made our own charts when there was no current chart available.

Having spent most of my flying career using ONC JNC OPC TPC etc, some of those are grossly out of date. I recall going to Moscow Vnukovo only to find it incorrectly plotted on the chart by several miles.

DX Wombat
17th Apr 2010, 21:02
I recall going to Moscow Vnukovo only to find it incorrectly plotted on the chart by several miles.OzExpat tells the story of one occasion when he was doing some survey work in Australia and was flying to meet up with the rest of the team. He flew to the location of the airfield as plotted on the chart* but no airfield was to be found. After spending some time flying around searching he gave up and called the RFDS (Flying Doctor) Base who informed him that the chart was wrong and gave him the correct location. According to the person at the base the RFDS fequently had to redirect lost pilots. :\
* He was using the latest edition.