PDA

View Full Version : Airspace closure question

iranair777
16th Apr 2010, 10:16
Now that UK airspace is close for IFR flights, is it possible to hire a VFR flight and do some sighseeing in central london and the west around Ealing? Would really like to fly over my house and get some ariel photos assuming we can get special clearance?

spekesoftly
16th Apr 2010, 10:31
You'll need to check the latest NOTAMS, but I suspect that the answer is NO.
NATS ATC have not been issuing any IFR or SVFR clearances for flights inside controlled airspace, other than in exceptional circumstaces (high priority police/medivac etc).

Leezyjet
16th Apr 2010, 12:33
I wanted to do an overflight of LHR today, tower were happy to handle it as they have nothing else to do, but the airspace is closed even though the ash cloud is not affecting low level stuff. Would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us SEP guys.

:sad:

chevvron
16th Apr 2010, 13:05
I want to point out this is nothing to do with Heathrow ATC, they have been instructed by the CAA not to allow SVFR flights in class A airspace (but you can still get clearance to fly through the City CTR VFR 'cos it's class D)

iranair777
16th Apr 2010, 13:35
so flying over the docklands area and around bank is class D but anything around ealing or west london isnt allowed? that sucks :( it would be really good taking this once in a lifetime opportunity by the balls

BN2A
16th Apr 2010, 13:54
In years of yore, didn't LHR allow puddle jumpers to fly an approach there on Xmas Day??

Touch & Go, or Low Approach & GA..... Not sure which.....

:D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Apr 2010, 14:11
BN2A... sure did. We also used to allow F-111s to do approaches late at night. Alas, ATC has little say in such matters now, much as the controllers would no doubt relish the idea!

chevvron
16th Apr 2010, 15:55
Yeah, with their wings swept right back................!

Dan Dare
16th Apr 2010, 17:33
And re-heat if memory serves.

The chuckle it gave me more than made up for a disturbed nights sleep.