PDA

View Full Version : FI exam lecture ideas

cjuk28
15th Apr 2010, 18:13
Can anyone give me any constructive ideas as to what i should lecture on for an hour in the FI exam. Or any decent ones that people have tried
The thought of a whole hour scares the living c**p out of me. lol
Cheers all

ifitaintboeing
15th Apr 2010, 18:59
Don't do thunderstorms!

Alan Newton wrote a good article about the FI test in FTN recently:

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/FTN%20Article%207a.pdf

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/FTN%20Article%207b.pdf

ifitaint...

Bob Stinger
15th Apr 2010, 21:52
cjuk28
Where are you doing your FI course?

Duchess_Driver
16th Apr 2010, 18:15
Has your examiner not stated a preference....?????

If not, any standards 10 question...my latest candidate has just been given q212 to do for the long brief.

DD

flightlevel1985
16th Apr 2010, 19:38
I was asked to prepare instablity in the atmosphere which was an 'interesting' topic

Whopity
16th Apr 2010, 21:32
The maximum length of the ground brief should not exceed 45 minutes. For an initial test the FIE should set the subject. In any case, you should have given at least two such briefs as part of the FI course. so why not give something you have already practiced if you have a choice.

RTN11
3rd May 2010, 11:30
I was given factors affecting the stall speed, which I found it quite easy to make a 45 min brief on.

My fellow candidate had to give a brief on the different types of icing, where I would perhaps of struggled to fill the time.

You're lucky if you get to choose your topic, just make sure you practice enough that you don't need to refer to any sort of plan or crib sheet. Looks much better that way.

Trim Stab
3rd May 2010, 13:04
Choose a topic that will be interesting for the examiner!

The FTO where I did my FI used old generation aircraft with "steam guages", so I did my lecture on how modern digital aircraft instruments work (pizzo-electric pressure sensors, Air Data Computers, glass cockpits).

The examiner was thorougly interested and told me that he had really learned something from my lecture.

FlyingOfficerKite
5th May 2010, 11:03
... all of which had no relevance whatsoever to the instruction to be given by yourself as a FI(R) on the majority of SEP aircraft currently in use in most flying clubs and your flying club in particular.

You might as well have lectured on supersonic flight or gas turbine engines.

I'm surprised you were allowed to use that as a subject at an initial FI assessment?

KR

FOK

Trim Stab
5th May 2010, 11:14
Where did I say that I would work at the FTO where I did my FI(A)?

I actually teach on C525 now - so yes I could have given a lecture on gas turbines...

FlyingOfficerKite
5th May 2010, 11:35
The FTO where I did my FI used old generation aircraft with "steam guages".

You didn't learn to instruct on the C525 then and (by definition) had no instructional experience on that type when you did your FIC?

I doubt very much that training captains on the B737, for example, would lecture on the FMS when renewing their instructor rating for SEP only!

I'm not disputing that it's not interesting, just not relevant to the types your training qualified you to instruct on at the time of the test.

Using your argument then how would you justify lecturing on field landings when you fly and instruct on a twin-engined jet? And don't say because it's in the syllabus because I can't imagine Air Data Computers formed a part of the training when your FI course was based on aircraft with 'steam gauges'.

The FI test should be a practical examination of your ability to instruct on aircraft that will be included in your licence as a FI(R) on SEP - not an expose on your knowledge of aircraft systems that didn't form any part of your training.

Having attended several instructor seminars for the revalidation of my instructor rating (alongside many other commercial airline pilots) the basis of the subject matter has been single and multi-engined piston aircraft, with a sub-course designed for rotary wing instructors. No mention of jets, or glass cockpits there.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just stick to what I know and what's relevant.

KR

FOK

DFC
5th May 2010, 11:37
You might as well have lectured on supersonic flight or gas turbine engines.

I'm surprised you were allowed to use that as a subject at an initial FI assessment?

Why Not?

It is giving the candidate an oportunity to show their ability to complete a lecture / briefing using the teaching and learning techniques / theory that they should have learned on the course.

The subject matter is not an issue provided that the examiner has the knowledge / background to be able to assess the candidate.

Therefore if the candidate provides an excellent lecture on particle physics including lots of appropriate mathematical equations there is noting wrong and they should be appropriately marked. Unfortunately, if the examiner hasn't got a clue about the topic then it is a tad hard to make an appropriate assessment..........but if after the lecture they have truly learned something as in the case of the Glass Cockpit lecture mentioned above one would have to say that the objectives have been acheived (at least in part).

I would find it quite disturbing to find that a candidate for the FI rating was limited to type specific and operator specific knowledge.

FlyingOfficerKite
5th May 2010, 13:09
Therefore if the candidate provides an excellent lecture on particle physics including lots of appropriate mathematical equations there is noting wrong and they should be appropriately marked.

Well I'm keen on ornithology, so maybe I should have tried a lecture on avian aerodynamics at my initial FI test?

I don't think Les Rackham (RIP) would have appreciated that!

KR

FOK

Solar
5th May 2010, 13:33
FOK

I was asked to do my initial presentation on a subject of my choice and not related to aviation so I presentated industrial gas turbines with the occasional reference to the difference between industrial and aviation turbines, seemed to go down ok.

FlyingOfficerKite
5th May 2010, 14:19
Interesting to learn of your experiences.

I have never, personally, come across anyone who has lectured at a FI test on anything other than aviation subjects related to the test they were taking.

I understand the comments in respect to lecturing generally and, in business, I have given presentations on subjects not relating directly to my role as a part of management training seminars and the like. So I appreciate this aspect of your arguments. But these seminars have been designed to develop my ability as a manager and not specifically related to my profession.

Now whilst there is obviously an analogy with the FI test, because that test is designed to test your knowledge of subjects studied at the conclusion of the FI course, I have not come across anyone who has (dared?!) to lecture on a subject not directly related to the course.

This is naturally my own experience and that of other instructors I have met. The principle of lecturing on any subject is not lost on me, just that it seems too remote when the lecture is in respect of a specific qualification and not a general course of training or development.

KR

FOK

Bob Stinger
5th May 2010, 21:28
I did my lecture on bird strikes, the other lad who was on the course at the same time did the heart. Both very different to what the examiner normally hears.

DFC
6th May 2010, 17:05
The problem with using some of the course topics or content as material for the lecture is that it usually results in the candidate simply rhyming off rote what someone else told them during the course and they are doing nothing more than copying what they have been told during the course.

A unique unrelated topic requires them to use what they should have learned about preparing and giving a lecture; preparation, classroom aids, timing, lesson plan (that is not the same as the 100 previous candidates) questioning, feedback etc.

I think that it is lazy to cover two elements of the test in one part i.e. trying to grade the ability to give a lecture at the same time as checking some area of required aeronautical knowledge.

If one wants to check their knowledge then there is plenty of scope for questioning.

Thereby it could be said that the examiner leads by example.

Have you ever watched a "natural" teacher give a quality lecture about say the solar system. The realy good ones will have you captivated, make appropriate use of aids, use appropriate expressions, language, body language and even as you listen / watch you are aware that you are learning something.

Droning on with 100% accuracy about the stalling characteristics of a PA28 using the standard school material in the standard school format tells you nothing.

-------

Of course, the briefings for the flight lesson must be appropriate but I think that letting this new teacher run with something that they know well and can make interesting gives the examiner a chance to glimpse what could be the standard in a few months or years time when the candidate is as relaxed with the aircraft knowledge as they are with content of their chosen lecture.

Dan Winterland
7th May 2010, 04:04
When I did my glider instructors course, we were given our topics, or rather we drew them out of a hat. I don't remeber what topic I got, but I do remeber who got 'Drag'. He did the lecture in a dress, stockings and with makeup!