PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL at OBA or somehwhere in Australia perhaps?

messymartian
14th Apr 2010, 20:46
Heya:)

Really need your help pilots:{

I'm from the UK looking to do the JAA PPL

Now i was considering of doing it at Ormond Beach Aviation since a mate of mine did it there a few years back and recommended it. That's why i gave it preference over other places since i knew an 'actual someone' who's been there lol. But after little research i've fallen into serious doubt. OBA and a certain someone there have made quite a reputation of themselves lol

Now i have 2 questions

1. Has anyone done any courses at OBA recently (2009-10).If so how was your experience??

2. A second option for me would be doing the PPL in australia since i have family in Canberra and Sydney. Can anyone suggest any schools there that do the JAA PPL???

Thanks People:ok:

BackPacker
14th Apr 2010, 22:06
There are no JAA schools in Australia. However, you can fly a G-reg worldwide on an AUS PPL, as long as that PPL is ICAO compliant.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/278995-guide-obtaining-jaa-ppl-us-part-1-a.html
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/381720-faa-ppl-g-reg-france.html

BroomstickPilot
15th Apr 2010, 07:13
Hi messymartian,

SoCal App is right. At the moment the UK Pound is on the floor. However, to some extent this is because it has been over-sold in the currency markets.

This is possibly because the markets fear the possibility of a hung parliament in the UK, or even a minority government dependant on the Lib-Dems to retain power. (I'd certainly like to hang parliament; the whole b^"*~y lot of 'em)!

At the moment, the least ruinous exchange rate seems to be that with the US dollar.

Personally, I would suggest you wait until a week or so after the general election before factoring in exchange rates into your choice of training location.

Broomstick.

messymartian
15th Apr 2010, 20:16
First of all just wanted to thank you guys for the quick replies
i do appreciate it:ok:

my intention is to obtain the frozen atpl one day but i'm in no hurry for that
but i want to do the PPL before september cause thats when Uni starts
so i'd like to do the ppl asap now
i've looked at barton and places in liverpool but it come up to £7000+ whereever i've looked at here in the UK
not to mention weather is a major factor here
whereas OBA is doing the JAA PPL (incl RT + Night Qual) at £3600 and including medical,tsa,accomodation,study material,flights to florida.. its still looking like it wont pass the £5000-£6000 margin
money is a factor for me
the weather seems to be steady in florida aswell

i've noticed the exchange rate is not what it was.but fact is it still works out cheaper if not as cheap as it ones was

Is it true there are no JAA schools in Australia:confused:??
thatd be a shame

please correct me if i'm wrong cause in the end i am the one with least experience.i need your help as i said

thanks again

messymartian
15th Apr 2010, 22:19
hmm right
so for arguments sake lets say i can do the PPL in england for £7000

do you think it's worth it??

messymartian
15th Apr 2010, 22:54
i know i'll be at their mercy so to say
and thats what scares me:bored:
cause at this point they could throw all these hidden charges at me which i'll be forced to pay
whereas here i'll be more flexible
also i wont have a time window
it's definately worth researching abit more into Schools locally i suppose
come to think of it i'd be willing to pay abit more if it means i get to do the course abit more relaxed and maybe over a few months instead of 21 days
as i said i'll be going uni but i could do the ppl simultaneously if i;m gona stay here

thanks again cause this has helped:ok: