PDA

View Full Version : Life at Sunwing

Kilo-club SNA
14th Apr 2010, 19:53
Hi. Curious of what the pilot life is like at sunwing?

Lots of destinations on the route map. Any nice night stops or long long days back and fourth?

any info appreciated

extreme P
15th Apr 2010, 03:28
Layoffs announced, stay tuned...

CMD-A
29th Aug 2011, 19:40
Depends on your base. Mostly single day south-north and back out east and long multi day pairings out west with lots of time on the beach. That's in the winter. Summer - lots of us go to europe for three to five months.
No lay offs here. As far as hiring - just welcomed a few guys and a few more in the next little while, but mostly internal recomends and no DECs.

NewBS
13th Sep 2011, 22:20
What would be the checkout procedure for a new hire Captain with an FAA license?
I was told no conversion necessary.
Thanks

kotakota
14th Sep 2011, 06:15
'Mostly single day south-north and back out east and long multi day pairings out west with lots of time on the beach. That's in the winter.'

Sorry , CMD-A , can you explain this line a little please ? So , expect North-South-North daytrips , cannot see what you mean about East and West ?
Thanks.

extreme P
14th Sep 2011, 06:18
I think the "out east" and "out west" is referring to the typical flying out of each base.

extreme P
14th Sep 2011, 13:39
NewBS, this posting likely only applies to one Canadian carrier for the winter. Presumably DEC without a JAA licence is not possible.

On behalf of our established client, PAS Aviation is looking for Boeing 737 NG First Officers for a contract in Canada during the winter.

We will need crews to be available to start 1st November 2011 and run for 6 months until April 2012. Interviews and assessments to take place shortly.

Ground school will take place in Europe, followed by a short break before SIM's being undertaken in the USA, and proceeding on with the contract from there. The period between ground school and SIM will be unpaid, but should be no more than 10 days.

*Please note that this is not a commuting contract, therefore applicants must be able to spend the 6 months entirely in Canada, although accomodation and car will be provided and there will be one period of a minimum of 8 days during the period of the contract when a return to home will be possible, with an economy return ticket provided by the operator.

Non negotiable requirements for interested applicants to meet:

- Minimum 3500 Total time and minimum 200 hours on the B737 NG (hours on classic do not count)

- All applicants must hold a valid JAA ATPL, IR, Medical, current Type Rating for the B737 NG, and these MUST have a validity for the duration of the contract period.

- Maximum age 60 years

- We will accept Captains willing to take a First Officer position for the experience of flying in Canada, as we have many that do!

Please apply via. email ONLY by forwarding a current CV, with a breakdown of hours and experience, including the date of your last flight on the B737 NG, to: [email protected].

As we expect a lot of interest in these positions, unfortunately only Candidates meeting the requirements mentioned, will receive a reply.

CMD-A
15th Sep 2011, 13:14
I think there is an agreement in place between FAA and Transport Canada which allows and automatic conversion from one to another as long as you get the Cat 1 medical in the respective country. As far as permanent positions - there is no DEC hiring. I am not sure what the company is doing with their seasonal contractors.
Hope it helps.

CMD-A
15th Sep 2011, 13:21
Guys who are based in YUL and YQB are mainly doing day trips south and back north, guys who are based in YVR and YYC are mainly doing multi-day pairings with lots of layovers in the south or other canadian cities, YYZ is an overflow base, so they are doing a combination of both - single days as well as multi-day pairings, filling the crew requirements in all the bases.
Hope it helps.

Willie Everlearn
15th Sep 2011, 21:12
Ahhhh, the bullsh*t that is Canadian aviation.

"Minimum 3500 Total time and minimum 200 hours on the B737 NG (hours on classic do not count)"
:ugh:
AND,
Canadian pilots put up with it!!????

Unfu*kin' believable.
What about B757 or B767 time? Would that count? It's to fly a *kin' NG!

How do Sunwing and Canjet get away with this?
Must be the owners 'political' connections.
What a joke.

Willie Everlearn :ok:

pcm
16th Sep 2011, 01:38
It's actually Canadian rules that let's them get away with it. Heard a rumor it's now in front of Lisa "rat" for serious modification. I work at sunwing and think it's complete bull****.

As for the original question. Lots of high credit day trips and lots of overnights. Everything is based on computerized bidding and seniority. I think it's great flying. High credit lots of time off.

Willie where does your condescending attitude stem from? Weren't you on here a few years back saying sunwing was going out of business? Where do you work hero?

Willie Everlearn
16th Sep 2011, 14:12
pcm

Thanks for considering me a hero (blushing with modesty). But, I've never considered myself one. You're so kind.

I have nothing bad to say about Sunwing. I've never set foot on one of their flights. I've never said they were or would go out of business (that I recall, but feel free to shove it down my throat if I have) I have nothing bad to say about the Canadian pilots working there as some of them I used to fly with at a previous airline. I have no doubt it would be fun working there. That has nothing to do with bringing foreign pilots into Canada, I don't care who it is that's doing it. This just happens to be Sunwing. AND, it can't be justified.
But I have it in my head, the worker bees at Sunwing don't pull this kind of bullsh*t move to crew airplanes. Yeah? Maybe it's Sunwing management?

My condesention is aimed at the Canadian Government and at least two known operators that take advantage of ignorant politicians and my fellow Canadian pilots stand back and let it happen. (I've said the same about Canjet) Do Sunwing pilots go to the hearings and tell the CDN gov't to Foxtrot Oscar? No. Most Cdn pilots forget how easy it is to climb the ladder in canada and this horse sh*t makes it even easier (sarcasm intended) We have more than enough suitable Canadian candidates for these jobs, part time or not, right here in Canada. Do you think the Germans would welcome Canadian pilots willy nilly without considerable objection into, say an Air Berlin without some sort of vocal objection? Dry lease a European NG with an EU registration OR give it a temporary Canadian Reg? You tell me.

Where I work is relevant to nothing. Where you work isn't either. We're merely expressing opinions. No one has to agree with mine.

Now, tell me more about this hero thing.....

altiplano
16th Sep 2011, 16:39
+1 Willie...

It is a tragedy that we must make sacrifice after sacrifice at all levels of our profession to try to "progress" - only to have our own government turn complicit with these scab operators and hire foreigners who don't even hold a TC license let alone citizenship or permanent residency...

Persistent high levels of unemployment across the country in all sectors and forecasts for it to go nowhere but up and this is allowed? Public demand for a $399 3* all-inclusive air/hotel week in Mazatlan trumps all? - Sad joke...

Willie Everlearn
16th Sep 2011, 22:01
I don't understand how any Canadian pilot can go along with his employer using this hiring practice and when I voice an objection or question the practice, I'm asked, "Willie where does your condescending attitude stem from?" or "Where do you work hero?"

Gimme a break!!

There are thousands of Canadian pilots out here who paid out of their own pockets to get qualified and experienced just to be ready for this kind of opportunity. Certainly qualified enough to fly for the likes of Canjet or Sunwing, even Transat or West Jet but some condescending schmuck has the nerve to question where my attitude comes from?

I'm too old to give a sh*t, really, and it doesn't directly affect me at this stage of my working life, but if the Cdn gov't can call Obama out for his Buy American policy, who the fu*k do they think they are? AND, who's foolin' who? Shouldn't they be protecting Canadian jobs? Isn't a pilot vacancy at Sunwing something Canadian pilots should have access to before they seek outside help? The Canadian Government is doing everything it can to kill aviation in this country and allowing this kind of bullsh*t practice by Sunwing and Canjet to go on, is an absolute disgrace!

I'm guessing there are a few guys and gals flying UP NORTH and elsewhere in the hinterland that would absolutely die to be given a shot at flying an NG.

You'd think the guys and gals at Sunwing who travelled that route to get to where they are today would want to have a say in that outrageous hiring practice of hiring foreigners over Canadians.

Apparently not.

Willie :ok: