PDA

View Full Version : Farm Strips

renrut
14th Apr 2010, 15:33
Nigel Ramsay

:mad:

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am Post subject: Tresspass on farm strips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,
We are about to start using a farm strip which has been in existence, with light usage for 5 years. It stands on a large farm but has one vociferous neighbour who is currently drumming up a lot of support to deny an application for a polytunnel on the usual fear and hysteria grounds.

However, this has nothing to do with the lawful use of the strip under the 28 day rule. Part of their tactic is to walk up the strip with their kids, let their dogs out and also to persuade horse riders to divert from the nearest bridleway and gallop up the strip!

They (none of them) have permission to enter the farmland (other than on legal footpath/bridleway) and have in-fact been told by the landowner that they are tresspassing. We as the new strip operators obviously have safety issues to consider here. Initial thoughts are: Signage, a letter to the main offender, pointing out the issues of tresspass on a designated landing strip under the ANO (??) etc.

Any experience, thoughts?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2010, 15:41
Get a solicitors letter about trespass, and enlarge and laminate it, then display it at the point you'd turn off the footpath and bridleway onto the strip?

I did have trouble (before the barbaric practice got deservedly banned) with hare coursers on our strip runway a few times. When I confronted them, they got very argumentative. When however I pointed out the likely consequences of close contact between one or two of their precious greyhounds and one of our propellers (and lied a bit about how little real control we have over, and visibility from, a landing aeroplane once established on finals), they simply went away. You could try something like that.

G

gasax
14th Apr 2010, 15:52
I would suggest being as 'non-confrontational' as possible.

The vast majority of people simply do not understand the risk of walking on a strip, so a polite notice along the lines of 'this is an active grass runway aircraft operations can hazard people and animals' is probably enough. fences of course do help.

For the 'hard core' then a suitable letter from your solicitor direct to the person(s) is unlikely to make things any worst and will serve to give you grounds / justification for further action.

But you are starting on the back foot, like it or not, getting on with the neighbours is fairly necessary, once sides have been drawn then it is very difficult to recover the situation.

I would suggest thinking carefully about what has provoked this situation and see if there is something which you should definitely avoid doing in the future or possible hope to recover from.

renrut
14th Apr 2010, 16:15
Unfortunately the strip was set up by two Neighbours 5yrs ago and now they have fallen out. The 'Neighbour from Hell' has taken it upon himself to do all in his power to prevent the airfield operating including walking up the middle with his children and getting friends to gallop their horses up and down. It's impossible to reason with the guy and his wife. The solicitor way seems to be the only avenue left
Dennis

MartinCh
15th Apr 2010, 21:00
What A :mad::mad::mad: !!
Especially as it's someone related to aviation, not usual nimby.

If it was me, I'd remind him of the gyrocopter incident, get the solicitor's letter ready and record his/their trespassing whenever possible for further action. I'd also let him know that trespassers riding horses can be thrown out of saddle due to engine noise etc.

But then, what do I know? I only had pain in :mad: neighbours in apartment block in the past. I also learned that sometimes non-violent/non-subversive means/solution does not exist with some headcases in various situations. Very sad indeed.

I somehow recall a particular case when murder of 'passion' charge was dropped due to person not acting under 'clear mind'. Amygdala, the part of brain that's responsible for 'fight or flight' adrenaline and other hormones production, is very powerful.
Let's hope you never have to get that far or have accident because of them.

charliegolf
15th Apr 2010, 21:46
Phone Social Services. Lay out the risks that this man is taking with his children in the full knowledge of the dangers associated with active runways.

CG