PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of TC Licence

PT6A
14th Apr 2010, 00:20
My Transport Canada Licence ATPL & Instrument rating is due to expire soon and I would like to obtain the new booklet.
I am currently employed and flying but on the basis of my JAA licence as such my type rating and instrument checks were conducted by the company.
How do you renew the Transport Canada licence? My original TC licence was issued on the basis of my FAA and I did the conversion written exam.. so as such I now hold a full TC ATPL..

Many Thanks!

tbaylx
14th Apr 2010, 05:16
Fill out the form that can be found online, submit it and the required passport type pictures into TC for the new booklet. As for the renewal of the Instrument, send in a copy of your current PPC and instrument ride and they will renew your canadian IFR based on your current PPC with your airline. Its all infothat you can easily find on the transport canada website

5LY
15th Apr 2010, 18:13
Not sure that that's correct. You'll have to do an IFR check with a TC authorized checker to renew your ticket. The booklet, they'll give you if you fill out the app. and send it in, but the IFR renewal has to be done at least every 2 years.

tbaylx
15th Apr 2010, 22:16
nope it doesn't have to be with an TC checker if its an icao airline within 12 months

5LY
16th Apr 2010, 06:47
Just been through this. TC would not accept my check done at BA by BA checkers in their sim for an ICAO carrier. Had to come home and rent a sim to get my IFR renewed. If you're right, then the TC inspector I delt with was wrong and I wasted my money. Don't think so Tim.

Tangooscarpapa
24th Apr 2010, 11:16
Hi guys! TC ATPL going for a B737-800 (self sponsored)training course next month to the US... I am just wondering if there is any possibility to renew my IFR with the check ride!?!:confused:
Thanks in advance:ok:

Canuck15
24th Apr 2010, 15:14
PT6

TCCA will not renew your IFR based on a check ride done outside canada ...the only good thing here is that you can let the rating lapse beyond 2 years and avoid the pain of having to write the INRAT again provided that you have done a check with an airline in the previous 12 months....hope that helps...you can pm me for further ...

TANGO ...you will have a arrange for a TCCA approved IFR examiner to sit and observe the ride and sign your cdn ifr renewal papers ...does not have to be a 737examiner..HE/She will just ride along and observe your ride .I did the the same a few years ago ....

Tangooscarpapa
29th Apr 2010, 20:43
Canuck15,
Thanks a lot for your help...:cool:
Right! The point now is to find a TCCA approved IFR examiner in the US...
I went on the TC website but nothing that could help me more...
If I don't have a better solution I will cross the border...:O

Cheers!

PT6A
29th Apr 2010, 22:24
I contacted Transport Canada.

They told me which forms to fill in, I filled them in and emailed them to the guy along with the payment. Along with a scanned copy of my sim check.

That was it they just renewed my IFR from the date of my sim check.

was actually very easy in the end.

PT6

blues deville
29th Apr 2010, 22:32
It sounds like a typical day at TC. Each region has their own interpretation of the CARs and how to apply some of the lesser used processes.

Thanks for the exchange of information.

bd :cool:

Panama Jack
30th Apr 2010, 05:55
Word is that Transport Canada will be withdrawing the expiration dates on the Instrument Ratings in an effort to harmonize further with the FAA. Continued validity of your Instrument Rating will be based on currency provisions (666). No word on exactly when to expect this; bureacracies move slow especially on something many are very excited about.

Tangooscarpapa
1st May 2010, 09:21
I have already heard about this "new"process... As bd said it looks like each region has her own interpretation...:confused:
PT6A with which TC's office !?!

Bloodflowers
3rd Jan 2012, 19:25
I recently tried to get TC to renew my Canadian IFR that had been expired for one year as I am currently flying on an FAA licence. TC will only renew Canadian IFR's that have been expired for 24 months, after this period they treat it like an initial application. Unfortunately the 24 month rule doesn't help me but hopefully it will help someone else. Some regions are not aware of this rule so you may have to call around.

Staff Instruction (SI) No. 401-001 - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/managementservices-referencecentre-documents-400_series-401-001-226.htm)

urge
4th Jan 2012, 13:18
Bloodflowers,
That makes no sense. TC cannot renew IFR license if expired beyond 24 months yet yours was only for one year?!! Why couldn't you have renewed yours?

And also, as of JAN 2012, have they dropped the 2 year renewal requirement on IFR or is it getting closer to doing so?

heloguy412
4th Jan 2012, 16:43
To renew the ticket it has to be done in Canada every 24 months. To keep from having to write the exams you can submit your foreign OPC/IPC check. This will renew your exam currency for 5 years.