PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GNC 250XL problems

Lighttown
12th Apr 2010, 17:28
Has anyone experienced problems using this panel mounted GPS?

Our unit has been installed a number of years ago and has given intermitten problems since install. However, avionics people can't find the fault and as its intermitten we are loathed to send it to Garmin.

The fault : the unit power resets and hence you end up with the unit back on but not activated, this is really not good when close or approaching Airports and hence routing to VRP's.

Before you all race to suggest causes,

The unit will work OK on very hot days
We have had the power connections checked
The data card has been swapped.

Two additional inputs, we notice it often near the French Coast at Calais and Le Touquet but its not isolated to these areas.

Also appears to only happen when a route is being tracked not in Direct To mode!!!

Talked to Garmin as we thought it has to be a software glitch but nothing from their side.

So anyone else experienced this OR do we have a one off internal fault.

Regards

jhsalden
11th Feb 2012, 17:04
I have got the same problem with mine.
I have noticed it for the last 4 years, however it could be longer.
Everything checked.
Did you already found what caused the problem?

Regards,
Joost

Lighttown
21st Jun 2013, 10:40
No solution found as yet, sorry long time to reply... We still have this happening mainly in the Dover / Calais / Le Touquet area. Although it has happened very rarely in other areas.

To day 21 June 13 I have found instructions to factory reset will try this.

Regards

Lighttown

wigglyamp
21st Jun 2013, 18:14
Have you looked at the satellite status page when the fault colours and see if you have degraded signals. You could have a marginal antenna and local interference in the particular area is just enough to tip it over the edge into a failure condition.

Was your GNC250XL installation an upgrade from a GPS100? If yes and you still have the white Garmin antenna cable, this needs to be replaced with RG142 as the white cable is 75ohm co-ax and you'll have a poor match and low signal strength.