PDA

View Full Version : Aircom 2010/03

pembroke
11th Apr 2010, 11:35
The above AIRCOM refers to training at unlicenced aerodromes. Forget an original "typo" ( EASA), my beef today is again re the CAA and communication.
The ANO amendment is in place from 14-4-10 and flying training and testing can take place at airfields not licenced. But the onus for a "safe" operation is on the PIC and the airfield operator. They "have to be satisfied as to the adequacy of an unlicenced aerodrome for the purpose of flying training or testing". The CAA, will produce a "Safety leaflet" etc., note the future tense!
1)
Why was this issued as an AIRCOM and not an AIC? Rather like the ORS, AIRCOM isn't part of the AIP, and certainly unread by the majority of PPL's and instructors.
2)
Why wasn't the said "Safety" leaflet issued at the same time as the ANO amendment?
3)
Can I quote the said leaflet at a subsequent court hearing, after my student has slid through the hedge on a short strip and been seriously injured or worst, due lack of rescue services?

PS to the above
The Aircom was written by Head of Airworthiness, and I see there is further clarification ,(a day later!!), by Head of Licensing & Training policy. The sub title is concerning " additional measures and further amendments to Rules of the Air etc". It is ref. Rule 5 and also Rule 6aa. It makes a distinction between exemption from these rules for training flights and other flights at unlicenced airfields.
The whole subject is a shambles, comments please.

Whopity
11th Apr 2010, 22:19
I think this indicates the current state of our National Regulator. There is no standard means of communication; most of the senior managers have no relevant knowledge and it would appear that nobody is in control.

PLD ceased to exist on 1st October 2009 yet looking at the website, which can be best described as an ergonomic slum, you will still find numerous references to this non existent department

Mickey Kaye
12th Apr 2010, 08:23
When is the revised CAP 428 coming out?

pembroke
12th Apr 2010, 09:36
MK, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of CAP 428, the plot thickens! I wonder why this wasn't mentioned in either of the "publications" from the CAA.

2close
12th Apr 2010, 11:20
PLD ceased to exist on 1st October 2009 yet looking at the website, which can be best described as an ergonomic slum, you will still find numerous references to this non existent department

The Joint Aviation Authorities ceased to exist on 30 June 2009 yet my very recently, i.e. weeks not months or years, renewed licence states Joint Aviation Authorities Flight Crew Licence.

Err, does that mean my licence is invalid? Obviously not but I don't think the dissolution of the JAA was sprung on them overnight without warning so you would think they could make a very simple amendment to a FCL document with the amount of prior notice that they had.

Now, where's that wall? :ugh:

Whopity
12th Apr 2010, 11:57
The Joint Aviation Authorities ceased to exist on 30 June 2009 yet my very recently, i.e. weeks not months or years, renewed licence states Joint Aviation Authorities Flight Crew Licence.
The JAA may not exist, but JAR-FCL does, and it is against this document that the CAA issues licences therefore; there is no remit to change it to anything else until the Law changes i.e. EASA FCL. As EASA will grandfather JAA licences, the transition should be quite straightforward. Not the same as renaming a department and then failing to amend their own website.

The communication issued on 19 Feb included reference to CAP 428 but that has since disappeared from the website:
The CAA has announced that, subject to a change to the Air Navigation Order (ANO) planned for Spring 2010, flying training will be allowed to take place at unlicensed aerodromes. Once the change to the ANO has been made by the Department for Transport, flight training at unlicensed airfields will be possible for fixed-wing aircraft up to 2,730kg Maximum Take-Off Mass (MTOM) and Helicopters and Gyroplanes up to 3,175kg MTOM.
The responsibility for ensuring an airfield is fit for training will be taken on by flying instructors and aerodrome operators. To assist them the CAA will be revising its document, CAP428 Safety Standards at Unlicensed Aerodromes, to include guidance on how to assess whether an airfield is suitable for training.