PDA

View Full Version : Research Project - Flight Instructor Salary.

Nine_Inch__Wings
10th Apr 2010, 02:24
Gidday,

I'm a recent member, but long time reader, of the PPRuNe forums.

I am currently studying a Bachelor of Aviation in Brisbane, and am also training as a cadet pilot, building hours and working towards my CPL, then on to my MECIR, MCC, and fATPL.

I am compiling a research project based upon the salary/wage of flight instructors. I am amassing information from various sources, and had (what I believe to be) the great idea of asking all of the professionals on here what they think.

I intend for any information in the project to be from anonymous sources.

I'd like to thank anyone in advance for their contribution and time - this is a great help to me.

Let's cut to the chase - these are some of my initial questions, and pretty much the basis for what research will be done for this project:

1. Are instructors given a salary/wage that is commensurate to their length of training/financial commitment/experience?

2. Compared to other careers paths, is the salary/wage for a position as an instructor attractive?

3. Is the career path of flight instructing widely seen as a stepping stone to get entry into a career in the airlines?

4. Due to the inherent forces acting upon more experienced pilots to gravitate towards airline employment, is there a lack of experience in GA or flight instruction?

5. Do you think that many perceive a career in flight instruction as demeaning, or of lower prestige, than a career in an airline?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: And if people could post what country they are in for some added information processing that would be fantastic.

Also, if the replies could possibly include what area of aviation you work in, and occupation..

S-Works
10th Apr 2010, 08:11
1. Are instructors given a salary/wage that is commensurate to their length of training/financial commitment/experience?

Very occasionally. But still nothing that equates to the level of dedication and professionalism that got them their.

2. Compared to other careers paths, is the salary/wage for a position as an instructor attractive?

Sadly no. Once it was before the hours builders who would work for food and the log book time devalued the system.

3. Is the career path of flight instructing widely seen as a stepping stone to get entry into a career in the airlines?

Sadly yes.

4. Due to the inherent forces acting upon more experienced pilots to gravitate towards airline employment, is there a lack of experience in GA or flight instruction?

In some places yes. in others where you have proper career Instructors who teach for the love, you have a massive wealth of experience.

5. Do you think that many perceive a career in flight instruction as demeaning, or of lower prestige, than a career in an airline?

Sadly yes.

what next
10th Apr 2010, 10:51
Good morning!

I can only answer for what I have experienced and seen in my part of the world (Germany), but nonetheless:

No and yes. No if one considers the very low salary/hourly rate for PPL instructors. Yes, once they progress to instrument, multi engine, type-rating instruction.

Not really. (With the exception of some very well paid instructors within the training organisation of our flag carrier maybe.)

Not here. Single engine VFR time counts near to nothing, no matter if flown privately or as an instructor.

In GA certainly so, at least in times of high demand (not now, obviously). In flight instruction, I can't see that lack of experience, as most flight instructors are either doing it beside their normal airline/GA activity or after their (sometimes forced) retirement or during breaks in their employment. At least where I have instructed during the last 20 years.

Yes, certainly. That's why you find very few full-time "career" instructors here, but mostly professionals who instruct in their free time.

Regards, max

mrmum
10th Apr 2010, 22:09
1. NO for PPL instructing, not really for more advanced stuff
2. NO
3. Yes, but perhaps not as much as it used to be
4. Yes
5. Unfortunately yes

UK, part-time PPL instructor, with another job to pay the bills.

Nine_Inch__Wings
11th Apr 2010, 03:33
Thank you very much for your valued replies. These will help greatly.

If any one else would like to contribute, please feel free :)

Maybe, on the off-chance, we could even bring about some change... then again we all know how fast changes come about in this world.

Mickey Kaye
11th Apr 2010, 11:05

By an large no. IR instructors get more pay by the hour then PPL instructors. But everywhere I have worked length of service counts for nothing.

No.

Yes but largely because the wage is so poor. Getting an airline job is like winning the lottery you wages will quadruple as an absolute minimum.

No. Although there is often a lot of pilots get their first taste of the commercial world instructing. Every school that I have been involved with have always had at least one significantly experienced instructor on board who can offer advice.

To an extent yes but less these days than 20 years ago. The terms and conditions of the low cost airlines has reduced the attractiveness of airline work.

County; UK

The only area of aviation I work in is flight instruction and I do so on a part time basis. I work for two flying schools one offers PPL, IMC training the other offers CPL training.

I have held an instructor ticket for 18 years.

RVR800
14th Apr 2010, 12:34
They are paid what the market dictates like any market; at the moment there is a surplus of pilots and a shortage of money result reduced T&C; at no time since WWII has it been a career that is well paid bottom of the food chain sadly; I was told by a deceased pilot that pre WWII FI were well paid....
there was a shortage of supply...

Its hourly paid and hourly paid work is often low wage; if you factor in the hours that instructors attend and are not airbourne its national min wage territory.. of course when the plans to reduce the training requirement of FIs is introduced the situation will worsen.. many may do it for nothing as has happened in the past before..

3. Is the career path of flight instructing widely seen as a stepping stone to get entry into a career in the airlines? This is changing as the difference between a six pack C150 display and a modern airliner with it glass cockpit push button operation means that in reality although hours are being accrued they have less relevance to airline flying compared to flying a Dakota
after the war (eg). A lot of single crew pratices are not relevant to the automated environment of the airliner. That said skills acquired and retained in GA are cited as evidence of hands on flying rather than the rather less direct handling skills being required by airline pilots these days and so the tide is turning a little. There is a big technological gulf between GA and Airliners..

4. Due to the inherent forces acting upon more experienced pilots to gravitate towards airline employment, is there a lack of experience in GA or flight instruction? Not at the moment due to the global economy ; it cyclical

5. Do you think that many perceive a career in flight instruction as demeaning, or of lower prestige, than a career in an airline? Less so now ; many airline pilots want indeed feel the need to retain core skills; so the basic flying taught by FIs is increasingly valued ; no on esees it as demeaning they see it as a poorly paid career

BristolScout
15th Apr 2010, 15:09
All the above have made valid responses to your specific questions, but if you are doing research you need to take on board one particular factor. Flying is an expensive pastime before you insert the instructors fee into the training equation. If instructors were paid commensurate to the skills, knowledge and experience they bring to the job, it would price flying training out of most peoples' pockets so the industry would wither. The paradox is that if we want a healthy flying training scene, we have to accept that instructors are paid peanuts, so the schools are held together by wannabe airline pilots on their way up and old gits like me who instruct for the joy of it. There is a small cadre of career flying instructors in the bigger professional schools who earn a reasonable living and they seem a contented bunch, by and large.

SkyCamMK
15th Apr 2010, 16:09
Have a look at this XL spreadsheet to see if it gives you any ideas,

In UK it can be an open question but there are things you can do to boost it.

http://www.skywalkerassociates.co.uk/FIEarnings.xls

It has a few figures in it but they are changeable and the effect will ripple through.

If you use it please credit me.

Good Luck