PDA

View Full Version : What to ask about Syndicates?

james747james
8th Apr 2010, 11:15
Hi guys!

I'm going to be meeting up with a few people to discuss and make up a syndicate for a flexwing microlight. Not really sure what questions or concerns i should bring up. If any of you guys could give me some questions to ask or some advice, that would be great!

cheers

james

robin
8th Apr 2010, 11:21
Get an idea of projected usage so that everyone feels they have equal access.

See if you like them
Make sure they are all solvent and can put their hands in their pockets when needed.
Check them out with other people you know - there are a lot of 'grey-listed' pilots out there you would not want to fly with.
Get hold of a set of draft syndicate rules - esp rules relating to getting out of the syndicate. Leaving a group is much more important than joining one, and much more difficult and emotionally drainiing if you get it wrong.

gasax
8th Apr 2010, 12:36
I'll be more negative than robin. If you really want to form a syndicate then the way you are going about it is hard.

No one wants to put the moeny up - after all there is no aircraft. And when you find one, you can nearly guarantee that one of more of the wholly committed and very keen types (often the most enthusiastic) will object to the colour / condition / equipment / whatever and decline to put their hand in their pockets!

The most straight forward way is buy the aircraft and then form a group around it.

Make sure you all like each other - all it takes in most groups is a single individual with the wrong attitude and it gets to be very hard work.

Best of luck and remember the rules of any group whilst useful are always less important than your judgement on the individuals.

james747james
8th Apr 2010, 16:11
Sorry I forgot to say we have an aircraft in mind so that's not a problem I just need some advice on setting up the syndicate with rules and things like who or where our money goes to cover maintenance etc?

Cheers

James

Saab Dastard
8th Apr 2010, 16:34
James,

There was some useful information in this recent thread here on PF:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/410326-advice-pls-syndicate-woes.html

More to be found with the Search function.

SD

Sir George Cayley
8th Apr 2010, 22:00
Having been a member of more than a few syndicates there is for me only one question.

"Is there a Nob Head who books more than everyone else, pays late and never does any of the chores such as cleaning up after and putting fuel in?"

Any slight pause in answering take as a yes.

Nuff said.

Sir George Cayley

BackPacker
8th Apr 2010, 22:41
I think organizations like the LAA and BMAA have sample regulations on file for various types of syndicates/groups. Might be a good starting point.

robin
8th Apr 2010, 22:54
I did exactly what gasax suggested. I bought an aircraft and sought out some chums to become a syndicate.

Unfortunately someone I thought was a good friend who promised much turned out to be a parasite and a ratbag and let us down.

Its very difficult to identify which of the group is going to drop the group in it, so take your time and do your research.

If anyone ever asks about the guy who let us down, they will get chapter and verse.