PDA

View Full Version : Pax and SLF Quote of the Year

B13Err
7th Apr 2010, 15:16
In resopnse to the new charges for Carry On luggage
by Spirit Airlines
"Everyone, and everything, on a plane must pay its own way.
Nobody brings their package to FedEx (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/fedex_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org) or U.P.S. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/united_parcel_service_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and expects them to ship it for free,” said Ben Baldanza, the chief executive of Spirit Airlines

Hotel Tango
7th Apr 2010, 17:41
From their website:

Fees apply for carry-on baggage that will not fit in the under seat space.

Basically, they want to charge for the large heavy stuff that American pax like to take on board as carry-on. Fair enough.

Rusland 17
7th Apr 2010, 18:23
Nobody brings their package to FedEx (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/fedex_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org) or U.P.S. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/united_parcel_service_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and expects them to ship it for free,” said Ben Baldanza, the chief executive of Spirit Airlines.Not really a fair analogy, because the passenger has already paid to be transported and it is a long-standing tradition that the air fare includes the transportation of one piece of hand luggage of a certain size (usually 55x45x25 or thereabouts). Bags of this size will fit comfortably into an overhead locker but there is no way they will fit beneath a seat. In effect, this airline is now charging for all carry-on luggage bigger than a handbag - it is clearly nothing more than a revenue-raising exercise, and another nail in the coffin of pleasant economy-class air travel.

ExXB
7th Apr 2010, 19:34
large heavy stuff that American pax like to take on board

If only that included the large heavy stuff American pax. I'm less than 60kg a believe I should get a discount (or an extra 10-50kg baggage allowance)

Carry0nLuggage
8th Apr 2010, 11:37
Why me?? :{

ChicoG
8th Apr 2010, 12:43
Actually if they charged by the kilo it might encourage some of our American friends to lay off the upsized burger meals - what a healthy suggestion!

:ok:

PAXboy
9th Apr 2010, 00:06
Carry0nLuggage, you have my deepest sympathies. May I politely suggest a Deed Pole exercise to change your name? After all, the public names in a forum are often known as a 'handle' and it seems that you might need a new one...? :E

Alsacienne
9th Apr 2010, 12:35
Deed Pole

.......... or even a deed poll ...................

(and nothing whatever to do with a deceased parrot from Monty Python)

HamishMcBush
15th Apr 2010, 19:08
(prepares to be shot down)
When you travel by train or bus/coach on a non-local journey, you take luggage with you for your trip; the same "assumption" has been applied by the airlines over the years. I suspect that a vast majority air of passengers will take luggage with them and therefore expect, that just like the other modes of transport, when they pay their fare it includes a luggage allowance.
What seems to be happening is that rather than an "all-inclusive" fare as major airlines used to charge, the young upstarts are now implementing a "compartmentalisation" approach (probably a marketing guy's idea) whereby a low headline-grabbing price is advertised but by the time you add in the cost of buying the ticket, adding some luggage, pay-to-print boarding passes etc etc, the fare soon costs more than that of a reputable, established carrier. Possibly this is along the lines of, in the UK the "delivery charge" that was for many years a non-optional "extra" when buying a new car.
IMHO an advertised flight price should include all the "essentials" that a majority of passengers expect (ie includes a reasonable luggage allowance, printing of boarding passes, payment fees etc)

MPN11
15th Apr 2010, 19:21
Concept ...

Business pax mainly travel with an overnight bag and a laptop? Mainly in J or F.
Leisure pax travel with loads of holiday luggage? Mainly in Y.

J & F subsidise Y already.

E C O N O M I C S

:ok:

Ixixly
16th Apr 2010, 07:00
Everyone wants their Airline Ticket to cost less than the Taxi Fare to get them to the Airport. Only way to really do this is to charge for the basic ticket and then have you only pay for what you plan on using. This stops people using the complaint "Why should I pay as much as the guy next to me when i'm only bringing on half the luggage and don't care which seat i'm in?".

People want cheap as tickets, then they start charging for what you use and don't use, downside is that the extra you used to pay went back into the airline allowing for more aircraft to be available and as such delays would be less because if there was a tech problem they could have another aircraft that was free and ready to go in far less time than it would take the fix the current aircraft. If there was a problem with crewing there would be extra crew ready to go because they had that extra money. Lets face it, we get what we pay for!!

liteswap
19th Apr 2010, 09:36
Business pax mainly travel with an overnight bag and a laptop? Mainly in J or F.

Not in my experience. I've very rarely travelled in J or F unless upgraded by the airline, even when working for large, well-heeled companies. And quite frequently I find myself travelling next to someone also on business. Wish it weren't so - but it frequently is.

Doesn't mean I don't travel light though, and there's still a huge time advantage to be had with no bags to pick up on arrival.

ExSp33db1rd
19th Apr 2010, 10:08
It's my ambition to travel with only my passport tucked into my pocket, not quite made it yet, but working on it, voluminous shirt with 'normous pockets - sold in Camping / Safari Holiday type outfitters called Magellan, 1060 Santa Monica Avenue, CA. topped with one of those photographers sleeveless jerkins with millions of pockets, and completed with cargo pants, also with millions of pockets.

Canvas 'money' belt with plastic buckle that I positively refuse to remove for the Gestapo - no metal, doesn't register, look, I'll prove it - and Crocs that can be kicked off for all the stupid security lines that one is unable to avoid.

I trattle and clank, and look like an " Anorak " - but who cares ? ( actually, I've noticed that my wife tends to get behind in the Duty Free, or Newsagent shops, and boards after me ! )

Still need a backpack - on wheels, with retractable handle, but working on it.

Ancient Observer
19th Apr 2010, 11:27
Next time your free pensionner flights get you to the UK, John Lewis had backbacks on wheels with retractable handles.
However, they appear to allow the wheels/handle set up to weigh too much, so I didn't buy one. I'm sure there are lighter weight strong plastics around!

dubh12000
19th Apr 2010, 16:29
I have the version before this model from Timberland Speedbird...

Timberland Trekker 18 Wheeled Backpack (http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3321693&cp=1779792.1761176.2784475&parentPage=family&colorId=1004312)

its the mutt's nuts. Bought it in T1 LHR

PAXboy
19th Apr 2010, 17:31
I found the link irresistible, an 18 wheeler backpack??????? :eek: But then found the inches mark had not appeared. :O I was disappointed. But it looks very good and a good price.

GwynM
17th May 2010, 17:33
I assume Carry On Luggage is the latest in the film series?

Ooh matron, what have you got in there?