PDA

View Full Version : Current UK market for FIs

alphaadrian
3rd Apr 2010, 21:23
Guys&girls

Having just lost my flying job last week I was considering renewing my FI rating and seeking some p/t instructing. Having been out of the instructing market for about 2 and a half years I just wondered...is it totally poo-poo at the moment out there? I know my local schools are struggling and im guessin that is the case all over. Am I right? Should I save my renewal money and fill in my Mc Donalds application form instead? I have got about 1200 instructing hours under my belt.

Cheers guys
Alpha

chrisbl
3rd Apr 2010, 22:38
Save your money.

mad_jock
4th Apr 2010, 06:10
Depends how what your chances are of being unemployed for a long period.

Cost of the 2 day refresher is about 500-600 quid after you factor in hotel etc. There are only about 4 per year.

Refresher training for FI isn't cheap.

So you would be looking at 1500-2k to get it back.

Job wise I don't know your where you live, personally I had no problem getting some FI work after I got mine back. The punters love being taught by an "airline" pilot.

You forget with time how hard work it is, but also how rewarding the satisfaction of teaching is.

I would say if you are getting it back just to get some cheap flying don't bother. But if it was something you always wanted to get back but rostering etc meant you never could do it, get it back.

alphaadrian
4th Apr 2010, 17:18
Thanks guys:ok: