PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Roadshow in Toronto

LNDGRN
3rd Apr 2010, 19:41
FYI - just heard that Emirates Airline will host a roadshow at the Fairmont Hotel in Toronto at 1000 April 6th and 1000 & 1500 on April 7th.

6000PIC
3rd Apr 2010, 20:15
How many qualified , and interested people will show up ? And approximately 95% male ? I`ll say 400.

J.O.
3rd Apr 2010, 20:30
They are hiring "hundreds" of pilots this year and 140 experienced pilots hit the street last Wednesday. That's why they're coming.

clunckdriver
3rd Apr 2010, 20:44
Watch the bail out start at Porter/Transat/CanJet/Georgian et all, "the grass is always greener", unless of course its sand! Not my choice but when a TTC buss driver makes more than most captains in the above mentioned airlines who can blame folks for jumping ship?

CanadaRocks
4th Apr 2010, 12:10
I bailed from AT 6 years ago and it was the right move for myself.

clunckdriver
4th Apr 2010, 12:54
Strange, still no mention of this on a certain Canadian web site, given the present employment situation one would expect some mention of this!

ODGUY
4th Apr 2010, 13:19
For those who have not attended a roadshow, anyone care to share some info on the process of the road show?

Anyone interested can show up? call in advance?

If there's lots of this in the search, I will get on that after the work day, however any basic info would be appreciated.

Thanks

clunckdriver
4th Apr 2010, 14:06
Is NOBODY going to post this on Av Canada? {I would, but Im persona non grata on this site} Maybe in keeping with the present cut throat race for jobs many would like to keep it under the table?

nolimitholdem
5th Apr 2010, 17:14
I would advise ANYONE even remotely considering working for Emirates to think very, very long and hard about it, and take some time to educate themselves about the reality of the company and the country before committing to this move. There is a ton of information on the Middle East forums, and I can personally attest to the fact that at the core of it all, it is completely true.

I myself am looking to return to Canada, I cannot do so fast enough, having wasted enough years in a medieval, backwards place working for a bullying, deceitful, lying employer. No matter which bottom-feeder in Canada you come from, I can assure you that Emirates will make them look like amateurs in the way they are able to manipulate their employees. I am simply grateful that the economy seems to be improving in Canada. It is to the point where I am not even looking within aviation, but at ANY employment that will allow me to leave Emirates.

I will not belabour the point, as those who have already made up their minds that all who have gone before them, don't know what they're talking about, will go anyway. And then be the ones bitterly complaining several months later as they realize they are trapped in a training bond and several thousand miles away from home with a three-month notice clause. If they're lucky they will be single, if they're not they probably will be soon thereafter.

But for anyone else, please do yourself a favour and take a very long read through the Middle East forums pertaining to Emirates.

It will be your only defence against the slick PR machine desperately trying to spin their lies to entice people to work for them.

clunckdriver
5th Apr 2010, 18:53
Nolimitholdem, I think you are a bit overboard in this, having spent a fair bit of time in this part of the world I can agree with you to some degree, however I think my view of the ME was helped by takeing a very good course titled "Living in the Arab World", it was put on by TWA in the days when they were running some flight departments in the ME. I often listen to Canadians who just cant grasp the huge cultural/religious/ ethical gulf between societies around the world, half of us dont even understand Quebec for Petes sake! For myself, I would go back at the drop of a hat, but age prevents this.

Willie Everlearn
5th Apr 2010, 19:45
They used to mention an age cut off. This advert doesn't. So, is there an age cut off?
Gotta ask....

There is practical and realistic and then their's what some governments don't allow. Practically speaking, they need experienced pilots. Realistically speaking, it depends on age limits in the Regulating country.

Any takers?

Willie :ok:

oceanpotion
5th Apr 2010, 19:53
Clunckdriver... with all due respect I think your said TWA course may be a tad outdated and I have to side with nolimitholdem's post. Dubai and this part of the world aside, am not sure how much you actually know about working for EK. I think the vast majority of expat pilots, whether they care to admit it or not, would be out of here in a flash if they had the opprtunity. EK has really crossed the line over the past year or so when is comes to really taking the pi$$ out of its employees to the point of bordering abuse. EK is the biggest lie, the biggest bully and the biggest mistake a lot of us have experienced. EK works for some but the reallity is, it just works...No pleasant place to be right now. Shame it really does not have to be this way but the mentality of the management in this place is so warped that no book or course could ever prepare any normal person for the experience they are going to have. Good luck to all the SSV people out of a job but lots of other things are opening up now and EK is not a good choice even if you are desparate. Their mad dash to YYZ within two weeks of SSV going under just shows how desparate they have become. There must be a good reason for this...think about it. They are no longer an employer of choice and probably never will be ever again...

clunckdriver
5th Apr 2010, 20:44
Oceanpotion, sounds like they would fit right in with a large number of the "pay to fly" and "who needs an F/O ? " bunch runing various outfits these days, belive me piss poor ethics are not confined to any one outfit or part of the globe, Im the first to admit that my generation had the best of it, we didnt go giving these folks openings by trying to shaft the other pilots during mergers, nor did we hesitate to "stop the props" when needed, each generation has to learn this stuff again it seems, I makes we want to puke when I see our hard won gains pissed away by so many who came behind us,{ and this includes your part of the world by the way} end of rant!

diggybaby
5th Apr 2010, 22:33
Having lived in the UAE for 15 years plus, I can agree and disagree with most of you. It is true that the country does not provide any protection for the Expats, but this is in reality intended..... We are in the UAE for convenience (not ours I assure you), we are not expected to feel at home nor are we expected to consider it home, we are simply visitors, hired hand and when we are done we leave, so they expect to take the best of us, and given that they know that we would be taking the money with us, they developped this scheme whereby we ended up spending everything there...... The UAE is one of the few GCC states which started learning from its mistakes, the local nationals, have been pushed to work and perform after the last economical downfall, and now the pressure will increase on the expats especially those that have companies and are not employed.

At the same time, learning the culture is crutial in order to survive (if you realy want to survive working for EK, EY, GF, QA........), Each So called Manager believes he is the BIG boss and therefore he is always right, however you can never find one of those big bosses when there is a problem or when you need him. The survive these places one needs to operate below the radar, and more importantly befriend the middle and junior management especially the assistants, these are the people which make it happen and not the managers/directors/chiefs.....

Craic Ore
6th Apr 2010, 08:07
Clunck,

I know you pretty much get it from your last post, but I'll comment anyway.

I'd have to say times have changed in this part of the world since your time here. Talk to those from the bygone era and they loved it - comradery, grace, understanding, etc were very prevalent here as recently at 15 years ago. All this is now gone. It has been replaced by a large degree with greed, arrogance and a general level of management decay. The locals of this region are leapfrogging the expats, which I can understand to some degree, but when they're decisions are assinine and very detremental to the long term viability of the airline (and many other businesses here), it cannot be a good thing.

Our golden days are over in this part. It's all about managing your situation and staying below the radar as much as possible, as stated above. But - one day you may just be in that unfortunate situation that is largely outside of your control to which you and your family suffer the consequences. Welcome to the blame culture. Hey, I chose to come here and it is what it is. I do however feel at times like I'm rolling the dice a little just living in this part of the world.

So culture, understanding and holding onto the values that occured in your era are unfortunately not on the cards for us. We can try many routes to accomplish what you think, but trust me, those doors are slammed in our faces. Not that there is much of a door; more of a brick wall.

Come on down to Dubai on vacation some time. Feel the lack of love, the crumbling greed that has yet to turn to humility and the tiring souls living in this place.

CO

ps. My opinion on joining EK? Like many have said, if you're unemployed, think twice and maybe roll the dice. If you have a decent gig, stick with it as 75%+ that join this place either hate it or just regret coming.

clunckdriver
6th Apr 2010, 11:03
Craic Ore, sounds like you are describing Wall Street/Bay Street or any other of a dozen places who have followed the "ME ME ME" ethics of our brave new world, dont expect to find it much better when you do return to this part of the globe unless you are lucky enough to find the sort of slot I now have, just a small aircraft but working with great folks and well rewarded for same, I doubt you will hear these sentiments from many in the mainline or conectors in North America these days, its time to re set the clock world wide when it comes to aviation, and only the most militant action will fix it, good luck to all of you in the sand pit and all the other locations where things are less than perfect!

Craic Ore
7th Apr 2010, 05:32
CD,

Believe me, I have no illusions of how the world works and the general decay of society globally in the past few decades. That's why I'm still here - much of the "is the grass indeed greener?" self pondering. Hey, the US is probably the epicenter of that thinking, but it's sure spread to this part of the world. And without unions, rights and any legal recourse, the people in all walks of life are being exploited severly. Trust me, a LOT more than Canada. How do you think they built this place from sand to glass in less than 10 years?

As far as pilots collectively standing up, good luck. In a ME ME ME world as you put it, without the rising tide of unions that you would have had in your hayday, there just isn't the will. I would love to see it and take part in it, but unfortunately I'd be left standing naked, on my own, while the many behind me would rise up one seniority number. It's not fear just plain reality. Trust me, I could go on and on but if you've spent time over here, you'll totally see where I'm coming from.

As for your gig, it's what I want and am trying to get set up for. For now I'll just keep plugging along and do what's best for my family and their long term future. But I will be out of here one day in the medium term as the fatigue and malaise will eventually break me down.

Adios,
CO