PDA

View Full Version : The Worm Is turning

surfside6
3rd Apr 2010, 00:43
In America at Least

After being stuck in a plane on the tarmac for nine hours in 2006, Kate Hanni decided to fight back against poor customer service. She formed the group Flyerrights.org, which in December was successful in getting the DOT to issue a rule on “enhancing airline passenger protections” that includes limiting airlines to three hours on the tarmac before requiring that the aircraft allow passengers to disembark and requiring airlines to provide adequate food and water to passengers within two hours of them being stuck in a plane. A DOT spokeswoman says the rule will become effective on April 29, after the department reviews requests from certain carriers who have asked for temporary exemptions.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
3rd Apr 2010, 00:55
I remember being stuck in an aircraft on the ground as a pax about 15 years ago for just over 2 hours (between Montana and Phoenix I think). The level of concern from the cabin crew was OK for a while but waned significantly after about 30 minutes.

I had a friendly chat to one of the flight attendants who told me that they didn't get paid for time spent on the ground in excess of the normal rostered ground time and that that probably lead to a bit of apathy for our plight in terms of comfort etc.

I wonder if this is still the case back there (US)? What about Oz? Anyone?

FRQ CB

Neptunus Rex
3rd Apr 2010, 04:53
Some years ago, a friend of mine, accompanied by his wife and infant child, were being held on an aircraft parked at the gate, somewhere in Asia, ie hot. There was a tech problem which was taking ages to rectify and the air-conditioning was off. He asked the crew to allow his family to go into the terminal, but was refused. He then told the Chief Purser to inform the Captain that if they were not allowed off the aircraft, he would call the British Embassy and inform them that he was being "detained against his will."
He was allowed off forthwith! (And allowed back on when the jet had been fixed.)

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/stairs.gif

sprocket check
5th Apr 2010, 09:59
I was on QF 1 ex NY JFK - pushed off the gate at 2330 and arrived back at the gate at 1130. Did not leave the tarmac.

Transition Layer
5th Apr 2010, 10:18
I was on QF 1 ex NY JFK - pushed off the gate at 2330 and arrived back at the gate at 1130. Did not leave the tarmac.

And the rest of the facts? Snowstorm, Thunderstorms, tech issue?

It's QF108 by the way :8

Cactusjack
5th Apr 2010, 11:54
Transition Layer:

Or perhaps the FAA were doing ramp checks ? Maybe the airport staff were changing a bulb on 31L ? Or perhaps Air Force One made an unexpected diversion to the airport ?
So many possibilities,the list is endless.

sprocket check
6th Apr 2010, 07:58
QF1 or 108 is merely a typing shortcut, it is quite irrelevant.

Also irrelevant. Were you there too?

Sqwark2000
6th Apr 2010, 09:31
No amount of "fact's" could justify 11hrs on board to then redock at the departure gate.... that's criminal.

Keg
6th Apr 2010, 14:52
You guys have obviously never been to JFK. I've only been there once. Weather was fine, there was no significant disruption at the airport. Aircraft pushed back on time and we were airborne an hour and a quarter later.

With the QF108 example provided (it was snowing bucket loads if it's the day I'm thinking of), the decision to return to blox was made about the seven hour mark. It took the remaining five hours to get back to the gate.

Take a shot by all means if we deserve it. On that particular day, every airline in and out of JFK got done over. :rolleyes:

sprocket check
6th Apr 2010, 15:37
Keg:

Yes, that was the day. The record breaking snowstorm and all. It wasn't so much the 11 or 12 hours on the tarmac, it was the lies. As someone remarked 'Not Qantas' finest hour".

You just had to be there...

Howard Hughes
8th Apr 2010, 06:48
I suspect the new rule would not apply to QF 108 scenario, as the aircraft was pushed back and technically underway!;)

DUXNUTZ
8th Apr 2010, 21:36
Er yes it would. That's the reason they created the law.

Kangaroo Court
9th Apr 2010, 02:11
Over 800 take-offs from JFK...never delayed for more than an hour in 19 years of US and international operations.

Just lucky I guess!

I cannot for the life of me see any excuse for QF 108 being stuck there for anywhere near that length of time; if indeed the story is true.

sprocket check
9th Apr 2010, 13:47
Alright, if you want to, read it here:

SMH story (http://newsstore.smh.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=smh&kw=new+york+and+qantas&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=5years&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=nrm&clsPage=1&docID=AGE060218OF3724F35SI)

There is quite a bit more to add, this is only about 20% of what happened...